Topics

[Zephyr-users] [Zephyr-devel] How to change Bluetooth default TX power ?

Chettimada, Vinayak Kariappa

Hi Vikrant and Abderrezak,

Please elaborate on your applications' use case for Tx power change. Do you want to use a build time custom Tx power setting or runtime dynamic update to Tx Power?

As there is no HCI command to update Tx power, except in Extended Advertising feature, it is important to define a Host API for a dynamic update well suited targeting an use case for legacy advertising and connections.
This will then need to define vendor specific HCI extensions to update the settings in the controller’s radio implementations.

Regards,
Vinayak

On 4 Jun 2018, at 19:28, Abderrezak Mekkaoui <ab.mekka@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I have the same issue. This is clearly an app variable imho.
Thanks

Abderrezak

On 6/4/2018 9:45 AM, vikrant8051 wrote:
Hi,

If anyone want to edit tx power of #nRF52840_PDK, then have to edit two file ..
1) $zephyr/subsys/bluetooth/controller/ll_sw/ctrl.c: L5882
2)  $zephyr/subsys/bluetooth/controller/ll_sw/ll_test.c: L189

which are part of Bluetooth Stack.

How to modify TX power at APP level (after reboot or in middle of firmware execution) ?
Is it possible to use some configuration parameter for it ?

Thank You !!

vikrant8051 <vikrant8051@...>

Hi Vinayak,
As of now, I need build time configuration option to change Tx power. It will be great, if we could do it by editing prj.conf.

Thank You !!

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018, 11:29 PM Chettimada, Vinayak Kariappa <vinayak.kariappa.chettimada@...> wrote:
[...]

Vikrant,

Sure, I will send a PR for that one as soon as I can (tomorrow maybe).

Regards,
Vinayak

On 4 Jun 2018, at 23:41, Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...> wrote:

[...]

Ryan Erickson

I'd like to put in a vote for changing the TX power at runtime. Our use case would be making the TX power less during advertisements and then increasing it once the connection is made.

Thanks,

Ryan

On 4 Jun 2018, at 19:28, Abderrezak Mekkaoui <mailto:ab.mekka@...> wrote:

Hi All,
I have the same issue. This is clearly an app variable imho.
Thanks
Abderrezak

On 6/4/2018 9:45 AM, vikrant8051 wrote:
Hi,

If anyone want to edit tx power of #nRF52840_PDK, then have to edit two file ..
1) $zephyr/subsys/bluetooth/controller/ll_sw/ctrl.c: L5882
2)  $zephyr/subsys/bluetooth/controller/ll_sw/ll_test.c: L189

which are part of Bluetooth Stack.

How to modify TX power at APP level (after reboot or in middle of firmware execution) ?
Is it possible to use some configuration parameter for it ?

Thank You !!

Abderrezak Mekkaoui

Hi Vinayak,
My current need is to be able to change the power setting through a config variable, as I have done outside the zephyr system. I am investigating power-range compromises for my board in an indoor setting. It would be nicer/quicker/safer to do so without having to modify the stack source files.
Ultimately I would like to be able to change the tx power at run time to use only the minimum required. I am not there yet though.
Thanks

Abderrezak

On 6/4/2018 1:59 PM, Chettimada, Vinayak Kariappa wrote:
[...]

Ryan,

As stated in my earlier email, runtime changes need Host API and corresponding vendor HCI extensions, let alone controller implementations to handle runtime changes. This will need a bit more effort and re-prioritising my current tasks!

Regards,
Vinayak

On 4 Jun 2018, at 23:46, Ryan Erickson <Ryan.Erickson@...> wrote:

[...]

Gurpreet Singh <gurpreet@...>

I'd second that vote as our use case also involves being able to change the tx power depending on the type of advertisement packet being sent out.

--
Gurpreet Singh
Member of Technical Staff

e:gurpreet@...   w:  www.mist.com
Sign up for a live demo of the world's first Virtual Network Assistant. Join Demo!