Topics

DTM mode on nrf52840

Manu R

Hi all:
We have an application running on the nrf52840. As we approach production, I am desirous of enabling DTM mode for in-line BLE testing.
While I was certainly able to expose an hci H4 link to the controller, I was not able to make the DTM mode co-exist with my application code. It seems like DTM mode is orthogonal to having a host enabled in the nrf52840.
Is my understanding correct?
If yes, is there some way for me to enable DTM with the host enabled?
If no, any pointers to correct my misunderstanding would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Manu

Chettimada, Vinayak Kariappa

> While I was certainly able to expose an hci H4 link to the controller, I was not able to make the DTM mode co-exist with my application code.

Could you ellaborate on how you are accessing H4 from your application, H4 is Bluetooth transport layer and when building host plus controller for nRF52840, the transport is virtual and no H4 (RTS/CTS wired flowcontrol) exists.

> It seems like DTM mode is orthogonal to having a host enabled in the nrf52840.

Correct me, BT spec. Host Volume has no test methodology specified for LE test mode. Hence, there exists no Host APIs mapping to DTM in controller.

-Vinayak

We have an application running on the nrf52840. As we approach production, I am desirous of enabling DTM mode for in-line BLE testing.
While I was certainly able to expose an hci H4 link to the controller, I was not able to make the DTM mode co-exist with my application code. It seems like DTM mode is orthogonal to having a host enabled in the nrf52840.
Is my understanding correct?
If yes, is there some way for me to enable DTM with the host enabled?
If no, any pointers to correct my misunderstanding would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Manu

Manu R

Vinayak, Carles.
Thanks for the responses.
Permit me to clarify

1.Carles: what you suggest might be what I am looking for- the ability to have a standard host+controller on the nrf52, and the additional ability to tap into DTM when needed. That way, I only need only image on the nrf52, and can pre-program the ICs. I am, however, using the uart shell already - can the DTM shell co-exist? Does it expose an HCI interface? I’ll take a look and get back to you.

2. Vinayak:  I exposed an h4 over uart as a controller ONLY. I did not get it working with the application- this was a separate project/attempt. If the transport is virtual, I don’t understand how Carles’ suggestion works- could you help me understand ?

Perhaps a better Question would have been - j have a host+controller implemented, and would also like DTM over H4 for factory testing - how would you suggest I do that?

Thanks to both of you.
Manu

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 8:47 AM Chettimada, Vinayak Kariappa <vinayak.kariappa.chettimada@...> wrote:

> While I was certainly able to expose an hci H4 link to the controller, I was not able to make the DTM mode co-exist with my application code.

Could you ellaborate on how you are accessing H4 from your application, H4 is Bluetooth transport layer and when building host plus controller for nRF52840, the transport is virtual and no H4 (RTS/CTS wired flowcontrol) exists.

> It seems like DTM mode is orthogonal to having a host enabled in the nrf52840.

Correct me, BT spec. Host Volume has no test methodology specified for LE test mode. Hence, there exists no Host APIs mapping to DTM in controller.

-Vinayak

We have an application running on the nrf52840. As we approach production, I am desirous of enabling DTM mode for in-line BLE testing.
While I was certainly able to expose an hci H4 link to the controller, I was not able to make the DTM mode co-exist with my application code. It seems like DTM mode is orthogonal to having a host enabled in the nrf52840.
Is my understanding correct?
If yes, is there some way for me to enable DTM with the host enabled?
If no, any pointers to correct my misunderstanding would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Manu

Carles Cufi

Hi Manu,

There are 3 configurations possible when you build Zephyr:

  1. Controller only. The controller exposes HCI over UART, USB or SPI including DTM commands if enabled
  2. Host only. The application and the host are built into the Zephyr image, a separate controller chip is required.
  3. Combined: Host+Controller: Everything runs on the same chip. DTM is available through the shell or to your app via the calls the shell uses

Take a look at this post for more info:

https://www.zephyrproject.org/building-a-qualified-ble-controller-with-zephyr-os-1-9/

Carles

From: Manu R <manu@...>