Topics

Getting started with ARM GNU Compiler | errors | #gettingstartedguide

Balasubramanyam

Hi Team,

I am just getting started with Zephyr and trying to setup development environment. I followed all the steps described to setup ARM GNU GCC toolchain and compilation ENV.
After setting up everything required, I got the following error after trying to compile a sample project.

"
CMake Error at ../../cmake/extensions.cmake:1086 (message):
  Assertion failed: The toolchain is unable to build a dummy C file.  See
  CMakeError.log.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  ../../CMakeLists.txt:28 (assert)

See also "../zephyr/samples/hello_world/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "../zephyr/samples/hello_world/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
""

I went through the log files  and it seems build failed at following

""
The output was:
1
c:/gnu_arm_embedded/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/7.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib\libc.a(lib_a-exit.o): In function `exit':
exit.c:(.text.exit+0x2c): undefined reference to `_exit'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status""

Seems ARM compiler issue, after bit of google found out that these options "--specs=nosys.specs" needs to be passed as command line params to run gcc.
I am not able to figure out where i can exactly instruct build environment to use these command line options for GCC.

I have attached both error and output log.
Any help will be appreciated to be able to compile a project successfully.

Thanks,
Balasubramanyam Rangineni

Marti Bolivar <marti@...>

Hi,

Is this an upstream sample project? What command lines did you use for
cmake and building the project itself?

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 9:55 PM <rangineni.balu@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Marti,

I tried compiling zephyr\samples\hello_world\ project.
I used camke command to compile
    cmake -GNinja -DBOARD=nrf52832_mdk ..

Failure seen after this command itself. But when I tried compiling blinky project I did not see any issue.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Rangineni Balasubramanyam

Sebastian Boe

I can't think of any reason why blinky would work, whilst hello_world
would produce that error.

Could you try again after deleting the build directories?

It is not necessary to add --specs=nosys.specs when the variant is set to gnuarmemb.

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 9:55 PM <rangineni.balu@...<mailto:rangineni.balu@...>> wrote:

[...]

Hi Sebastian,

I tried deleting build folder and created again.
Compilation successful without any issues. Issue not seen anymore