Zephyr BLE Controller Nordic - BLE qualification process

frv

Hi Carles,

In the document: https://www.zephyrproject.org/building-a-qualified-ble-controller-with-zephyr-os-1-9/

at the end this is mentioned:

“Note that Nordic’s qualification will only cover the BLE Controller, which means that whichever Host is used for a particular design will have to be qualified independently.”

What does this really imply for us? Is there an official procedure from the SIG or some other authority that must be followed. Is this documented somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Frank

frv

Edited

Hi Carles,

Probably all is here for the qualification process, correct? : https://www.bluetooth.com/develop-with-bluetooth/qualification-listing

Just wondering do we have extra concerns should we rely on the BlueZ stack at Host side except for the GPL licensing.
Probably when relying on QT which is LGPL and wraps the BlueZ stack we don't have issues around strict GPL licensing?

Update 9h38 21/11/2018 :
Our company has a SIG account, so I have registered for a user account, to be able to fetch documentation and ask questions.

Best regards,
Frank

Luiz Augusto von Dentz

Hi,
On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 10:39 AM frv <F.Vieren@televic.com> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hi Carles,

Probably all is here for the qualification process, correct? : https://www.bluetooth.com/develop-with-bluetooth/qualification-listing
There is a listing for the Host Stack as well:

https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/ListingDetails/70189

Just wondering do we have extra concerns should we rely on the BlueZ stack at Host side except for the GPL licensing.
Probably when relying on QT which is LGPL and wraps the BlueZ stack we don't have issues around strict GPL licensing?
Is your system going to run Zephyr or Linux/BlueZ as host stack? BlueZ
daemon is GPL but that exposes APIs over D-Bus so you are not really
linking to it, that said the qualification for BlueZ also depends on
the Kernel. There is quite a few listings of BlueZ:

https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/ListingDetails/65535
https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/ListingDetails/48333
https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/ListingDetails/507
https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/ListingDetails/12555
https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/ListingDetails/7341
https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/ListingDetails/17086
https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/ListingDetails/7319

From looks of them the latest BlueZ listing is for version 5.48,
though depending on the product they may have only some layers
qualified not the entire stack.

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz

frv

Hi Luiz Augusto von Dentz,

Thank you very much for your reply. This should give me sufficient direction to go further.

The idea for our BLE central oriented platform (two boards solution) is to run on the BLE Host board Linux and thus depending on BlueZ. The BLE controller runs on a Nordic board Zephyr (HCI_UART).
Both boards will be bridged via a HCI uart(h4) transport layer.

Our BLE peripheral oriented platform might be a pure single board Nordic BLE Host Controller approach depending on Nordic's SoftDevice for the BLE stack.

Best regards,
Frank

Carles Cufi

Hi Frank,

Regarding licensing, I have no real information there, I would recommend you check with an expert.

Regarding qualification, yes, the link you sent is correct. Zephyr has a qualified controller and host, and BlueZ has several qualification as someone else pointed out.