Topics

i.MX 6/7 Flexcan driver Zephyr porting

Aymeric

Hi all,

I'm new to Zephyr's project, I tested some of the samples on a couples of boards.

For my project, I need a board on which Zephyr would support CAN & TCP/IP Stack.

I only found Zephyr CAN drivers for STM32 boards but they usually don't are equipped with Ethernet or at least are not supported.

So, my question is, is iMX 6/7 flexcan driver in a porting for Zephyr ?

My goal would be to use a NXP i.MX7 Colibri Board with a Evaluation Board, hardwarely, this board is CAN & Ethernet support.

My only other alternative would be to use a Stand-alone CAN controller but if I can avoid it, it would be nice.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Aymeric

Maureen Helm

Hi Aymeric,
There is a bare metal flexcan driver in ext/hal/nxp/imx/drivers that you can use as a starting point. You can create a shim to adapt it to the Zephyr CAN API, similar to what has been done for other NXP drivers.

For Ethernet, do you want to run that on the M4 Zephyr core or the A7 Linux core? It would be more challenging to get that working on the M4 core since we don't have a bare metal Ethernet driver to start with, and I don't know offhand if hardware allows that.

Maureen

I'm new to Zephyr's project, I tested some of the samples on a couples of boards.

For my project, I need a board on which Zephyr would support CAN & TCP/IP Stack.

I only found Zephyr CAN drivers for STM32 boards but they usually don't are equipped with Ethernet or at least are not supported.

So, my question is, is iMX 6/7 flexcan driver in a porting for Zephyr ?

My goal would be to use a NXP i.MX7 Colibri Board with a Evaluation Board, hardwarely, this board is CAN & Ethernet support.

My only other alternative would be to use a Stand-alone CAN controller but if I can avoid it, it would be nice.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Aymeric

Andrei Gansari

Hello Aymeric,

If you don’t mind using the bare metal driver in your application as Maureen suggested, there is also i.MX RT 1050 EVKB board that does support Ethernet and has an unpopulated CAN connector at J11. It's a cortex M7.

Andrei