Topics

Unable to install zephyr in Windows following the getting started guide #gettingstartedguide

Bo.Kragelund@...

Hi zephyr,

I am not able to install the latest zephyr on Windows following the getting started guide.

I have previously installed zephyr on Windows without any issues.
But following the latest getting started guide, where west is now used as a part of installing zephyr, I get some problems with west.

I have forced installation of west again, which can be seen on the first attached picture "clone zephyr using west.png".
In this picture, I then verify the west version, and finally try to install zephyr with west, as explained in the getting started guide.
The errors I get can be seen on this first picture.

Then I try another approach.
I manually clone zephyr to a location using git bash in Windows without any problems.
Then I again follow the getting started guide and create an empty folder named "zephyrproject".
I copy my manually cloned zephyr into this folder.
As seen on the second attached picture "clone zephyr manually and use west after.png", I now have a "zephyr" folder below "zephyrproject" as displayed by the dir command.
Then I use the west init command as explained in the getting started guide and get the same errors, which can also be seen on this second picture.

I hope you can help me fix this issue.

In Linux, everything works fine following the getting started and using west for installing zephyr :-)

Best regards,
Bo Kragelund

Carles Cufi

Hi Bo,

I notice 2 issues with your screenshots:

  1. You are running `west init` in c:\. I certainly would not recommend that. My recommendation would be to initialize zephyr in your user folder (typically c:\Users\<username>)
  2. `git` does not seem to be in your PATH. If you add `git` to your path the error should go away. In my computer, git.exe is in C:\Program Files\Git\bin

Carles

[...]

Hi Carles,

And thank you very much for the very quick answer.

I have installed git version 2.20.1 on my Windows and for some reason git doesn't add the path of its binary folder to the PATH environment variable.

After manually adding the git path "C:\Program Files\Git\bin" everything works fine :-)
west can now be used to install zephyr and also update west by following the below commands from the getting started guide.

west init zephyrproject
cd zephyrproject
west update

It might be a good idea to add a note in the getting started guide, that you have to make sure the path for git is added to the Windows PATH environment variable to make it work in Windows.

Best regards,
Bo

Carles Cufi

Hi Bo,

Glad to hear you got this working.

The recommended mechanism to install Git in the Zephyr Getting Started guide is to use Chocolatey, which does update the PATH with the Git folder (unless something has changed recently).

That is why we do not have a specific note regarding this in the documentation.