Topics

Process HCI_UART BLE Connectivity updating FW in the field

frv

Hi Carles,

Ok thanks for this feedback! A next challenge coming, the learning process continuous.

br,
Frank

Carles Cufi

Hi Frank,

If you don’t have a debug connection between the iMX and the nRF52832 then you need to use the UART to update the firmware. In order to achieve that you will need to use a bootloader to swap images between 2 banks, because without a debugger that is the usual approach.

MCUboot is an open source bootloader that allows you to perform firmware upgrade indirectly (i.e. the application that is running receives and stores an image in the second slot and then reboots so that MCUboot swaps it) or directly  using a “recovery mode”: The chip running MCUboot boots into its recovery mode and then listens on the UART for commands which allow for a new image to be uploaded.

This is achieve through the BOOT_SERIAL option in MCUboot:

https://github.com/JuulLabs-OSS/mcuboot/blob/master/boot/zephyr/Kconfig#L190

Unfortunately it is not very documented at this point, but the idea is that you boot the nRF52832 with a pin set to a value (high or low):

https://github.com/JuulLabs-OSS/mcuboot/blob/master/boot/zephyr/Kconfig#L236

and that triggers serial recovery mode, where MCUboot waits for commands on the UART to upload a new image.

The tool that can be used to send that image is mcumgr, and the process is almost the same to using mcumgr with indirect firmware upgrade. To install mcumgr:

$ go get github.com/apache/mynewt-mcumgr-cli/mcumgr

And then you can create a serial connection profile with it and start uploading images.

Carles