Topics

Web Server

Nicholas Yameen <Nicholas.Yameen@...>

Hello,

I see there is an example for a dumb HTTP server for Zephyr in the samples folder. This example serves a single static web page when going to that IP address in a web browser. Is it possible to make a dynamic web page using Zephyr?

My use case is to have my FRDM-K64F board host the server and change values on the web page every couple seconds. The board will receive data and put it on the web page essentially. Is this possible?

I also read online that Zephyr removed its HTTP API. Would this affect me trying to build this application?

Regards,

Nick

Nicholas Yameen
R&D Engineer

D  978-975-9675 x59675
E  Nicholas.Yameen@...

800 Federal Street
Andover, MA 01810
United States

Blog Blog Blog Blog Blog Blog Blog

*Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

lairdjm

Hi Nick,
HTTP support is set to be dropped soon last I heard yes, this is because it hasn’t been converted to use the new sockets API and has no active maintainer, that may change in the future.

You can do it multiple ways, the easiest would be to have static pages but have the dynamic data on specific URIs like /sensor returning a list of the data in JSON format and then having some AJAX on the webpage which gets this data and puts it where it is needed, it would require a web browser with JavaScript to function, but doesn’t require reloading the whole page to update the values on it.
Thanks,
Jamie

EXTERNAL EMAIL: Be careful with attachments and links.

[...]

Paul Sokolovsky

Hello Nicholas,

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 18:02:46 +0000
" via Lists.Zephyrproject.Org"
<Nicholas.Yameen=se.com@...> wrote:

I see there is an example for a dumb HTTP server for Zephyr in the
samples folder. This example serves a single static web page when
going to that IP address in a web browser. Is it possible to make a
dynamic web page using Zephyr?

My use case is to have my FRDM-K64F board host the server and change
values on the web page every couple seconds. The board will receive
data and put it on the web page essentially. Is this possible?
Zephyr offers a (sizable subset of) BSD Socket API, which means you can
either implement such a server relatively easily or port an existing
(small) one to Zephyr.

Availability of an HTTP server library in Zephyr tree largely depends
on doing a good research among the existing small HTTP server (also,
client) implementations, choosing the best one, or discarding them all
and embarking on writing our own from scratch. So far, nobody did that
work.

Hasting with adding such a library to Zephyr can only lead to sub-ideal
choice, which later will need to be replaced with something else or
changes substantially, leading to breakage of user applications. In
this regard, starting so far with out-of-tree libraries seems like
good choice (and sharing any experience with them is very welcome and
will be helpful to choose the "official" library to import in-tree).

I also read online that Zephyr removed its HTTP API. Would this
affect me trying to build this application?

Regards,
Nick
Nicholas Yameen
R&D Engineer