Topics

Do not use west v0.6.1; upgrade to v0.6.2

Bolivar, Marti

Hi,

West v0.6.1 contains a high impact bug in the "west update" behavior that
is fixed in v0.6.2. Users of v0.6.0 and earlier are not affected.

If you are using west v0.6.1 (check with west --version), please upgrade
now using the usual process:

Linux:

pip3 install -U --user west

macOS and Windows:

pip3 install -U west

Youse, Charles

Marti,

Thanks for letting us know.

Perhaps, since 'west' has been made practically essential to Zephyr, we should investigate some kind of QA process for west releases.

Thanks
Charles

Marti Bolivar <marti.bolivar@...> writes:

Hi,

West v0.6.1 contains a high impact bug in the "west update" behavior that
is fixed in v0.6.2. Users of v0.6.0 and earlier are not affected.
I was requested to add a link to the bug:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/west/issues/298

It won't cause data loss, but it will cause west update to fail to
check out the correct revision in some cases.

Marti

If you are using west v0.6.1 (check with west --version), please upgrade
now using the usual process:

Linux:

pip3 install -U --user west

macOS and Windows:

pip3 install -U west

Youse, Charles

Hi Marti,

In spite of the fact that it doesn't cause data loss, it seems extremely serious, considering that west basically has one job (versioning).

Thanks,
Charles

West v0.6.1 contains a high impact bug in the "west update" behavior
that is fixed in v0.6.2. Users of v0.6.0 and earlier are not affected.
I was requested to add a link to the bug:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/west/issues/298

It won't cause data loss, but it will cause west update to fail to check out the correct revision in some cases.

Marti

If you are using west v0.6.1 (check with west --version), please
upgrade now using the usual process:

Linux:

pip3 install -U --user west

macOS and Windows:

pip3 install -U west

Bolivar, Marti

"Youse, Charles" <charles.youse@...> writes:

Marti,

Thanks for letting us know.
Of course.

Perhaps, since 'west' has been made practically essential to Zephyr,
we should investigate some kind of QA process for west releases.
We have a process in place. It failed here due to lack of coverage,
which unfortunate oversight and I'm very sorry for it, especially for
those who ran into it. However, it was lack of coverage, and not lack of
process, that was to blame.

West has a test suite that works at both API and functional levels. The
repository CI runs it on each commit (on Linux, via shippable). We also
run it on supported platforms before cutting a release. In this case,
that's Windows 10 and macOS. (This is in addition to informal testing
that people are doing on the code in the master branch, which isn't
relevant to this point since you are asking about process.)

More testers and attention to testing are always welcome, so feel free
to make any concrete suggestions for how we can improve our QA.

Charles

West v0.6.1 contains a high impact bug in the "west update" behavior that is fixed in v0.6.2. Users of v0.6.0 and earlier are not affected.

If you are using west v0.6.1 (check with west --version), please upgrade now using the usual process:

Linux:

pip3 install -U --user west

macOS and Windows:

pip3 install -U west

Bolivar, Marti

"Youse, Charles via Lists.Zephyrproject.Org"
<charles.youse=intel.com@...> writes:

Hi Marti,

In spite of the fact that it doesn't cause data loss, it seems
extremely serious, considering that west basically has one job
(versioning).
I agree that it is a serious bug (see "high impact", below), and again,
I'm sorry for the lack of test coverage that led to it happening in the
first place. I'm grateful to the reporter for bringing it up.

Now that the hotfix is out in the 0.6.x branch, I'm going to be adding
regression testing. I do my best to make sure fixes get regression
tests.

Charles

West v0.6.1 contains a high impact bug in the "west update" behavior
that is fixed in v0.6.2. Users of v0.6.0 and earlier are not affected.
I was requested to add a link to the bug:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/west/issues/298

It won't cause data loss, but it will cause west update to fail to check out the correct revision in some cases.

Marti

If you are using west v0.6.1 (check with west --version), please
upgrade now using the usual process:

Linux:

pip3 install -U --user west

macOS and Windows:

pip3 install -U west

Marc Herbert

it seems extremely serious, considering that west basically has one job (versioning).
One of those jobs that everyone needs but no one wants to do?

PS: versioning plus a bit more https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/guides/west/why.html