Topics

4G/5G modem supported by Zephyr or not?

liang ding

Hi, there,

I am wondering if 4G/5G modem is supported by Zephyr? Or any plan to support 4G/5G modem in Zephyr in a future?

B.R.

Liang

Wayne Ren

If the 4G/5G modem module is AT command based, it’s possible to add in zephyr through SOCKET OFFLOAD or NET CONTEXT OFFLOAD.

You can refer the codes in drivers/modem/ublox-sara-r4.c for NB-IoT or PR#18919 for esp8266

I am wondering if 4G/5G modem is supported by Zephyr? Or any plan to support 4G/5G modem in Zephyr in a future?

B.R.

Liang

Michael Scott

Hello Liang,

On 9/17/19 8:47 PM, liang ding wrote:

Hi, there,

I am wondering if 4G/5G modem is supported by Zephyr? Or any plan to support 4G/5G modem in Zephyr in a future?

I gave a presentation at Embedded Linux Conference about this exact subject.

Slides: https://static.sched.com/hosted_files/ossna19/61/AT-based%20Modem%20Support%20in%20the%20Zephyr%20Project.pdf
Video: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/ossna2019/357948854?autoplay=1

- Mike

B.R.

Liang

--
Michael Scott
Embedded Software Engineer at Foundries.io

Shlomi Vaknin

Is there a way to connect the ppp protocol to the modem context and work with this network interface instead of the stack that is built in the modem?

‫בתאריך יום ד׳, 18 בספט׳ 2019 ב-18:00 מאת ‪Michael Scott‬‏ <‪mike@...‬‏>:‬

Hello Liang,

On 9/17/19 8:47 PM, liang ding wrote:

Hi, there,

I am wondering if 4G/5G modem is supported by Zephyr? Or any plan to support 4G/5G modem in Zephyr in a future?

I gave a presentation at Embedded Linux Conference about this exact subject.

Slides: https://static.sched.com/hosted_files/ossna19/61/AT-based%20Modem%20Support%20in%20the%20Zephyr%20Project.pdf
Video: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/ossna2019/357948854?autoplay=1

- Mike

B.R.

Liang

--
Michael Scott
Embedded Software Engineer at Foundries.io
"microPlatforms™ for Connected Products"
E: mike@...
W: https://www.foundries.io

Michael Scott

Hello Shlomi,

If the modem had a physical interface which supported the PPP protocol you could in theory create a new: modem_iface_ppp.c file which managed it (as opposed to using the current UART-based modem_iface_uart.c file).  Did you have an example product?

It looks like the current Zephyr PPP support is implemented as an L2 layer.

So it might be that if your product supports PPP natively, you would skip the modem_context driver entirely and use the PPP L2 layer for connectivity.

- Mike

On 9/19/19 1:47 PM, Shlomi Vaknin wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply! The Telit moduled like UE866 and LE910 supports ppp natively and there are 3gpp at commands that switch the state of the modem from at mode to ppp mode. I saw in the video you sent that there is a work on implementing the standard 3gpp commands as part of the modem driver and the ppp state could be part of it. Thanks again!