large data arrays within .c source

Keith.Wheeler@...

Good day,

Our board support requires a .c file that is essentially a large data array.  If the source file includes appropriate open source wording in the comments, is this acceptable?

Thank you,

-Keith Wheeler

Principal Engineer, Infineon

Carles Cufi

Hi Keith,

What does the data array represent or contain?

Our board support requires a .c file that is essentially a large data array.  If the source file includes appropriate open source wording in the comments, is this acceptable?

Thank you,

-Keith Wheeler

Principal Engineer, Infineon

Keith.Wheeler@...

Carles,

Our board has a separate connectivity (WiFi/BT) radio IC. The array is patch/executable required by the external device, which must be loaded on to the external device by the host processor.

-Keith

Caution: This e-mail originated outside Infineon Technologies. Do not click on links or open attachments unless you validate it is safe.

Hi Keith,

What does the data array represent or contain?

Our board support requires a .c file that is essentially a large data array.  If the source file includes appropriate open source wording in the comments, is this acceptable?

Thank you,

-Keith Wheeler

Principal Engineer, Infineon

Rasmussen, Torsten

Hi,

I wonder how an array containing binary data created from source code with an unknown license can be said to conform to this:
https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/contribute/external.html#software-license

> Integrating code into the Zephyr Project from other projects that use a license other than the Apache 2.0 license
> needs to be fully understood in context and approved by the Zephyr governing board, as described in the
> Zephyr project charter. The board will automatically reject licenses that have not been approved by the
> Open Source Initiative (OSI). See the Submission and review process section for more details.

/torsten

Jack Rosenthal

I think in general, we should push vendors away from binary blobs if we can, which would help keep the contribution guidelines to a high standard. Simply rejecting the vendors' blobs during the code review process will force them to reconsider how to submit source code instead of a binary.

We can learn from the coreboot project, which has been trying to define their own policies around binary blobs recently.

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 8:56 AM Rasmussen, Torsten via lists.zephyrproject.org <torsten.rasmussen=nordicsemi.no@...> wrote:

Hi,

I wonder how an array containing binary data created from source code with an unknown license can be said to conform to this:
https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/contribute/external.html#software-license

> Integrating code into the Zephyr Project from other projects that use a license other than the Apache 2.0 license
> needs to be fully understood in context and approved by the Zephyr governing board, as described in the
> Zephyr project charter. The board will automatically reject licenses that have not been approved by the
> Open Source Initiative (OSI). See the Submission and review process section for more details.

/torsten

I suggest reviewing this document which will be discussed in the TSC this week:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1heqcv7dzGvM5rA9xpTMW3kyKJLpZsl2Gjsmr5eqBje8/edit

Look at the “Allowed types” section.

Anas