nRF52 port for Zephyr

Xue Liu

Hello,

Now I am working on the port of nRF52 DK board for Zephyr project. I have
several questions about the procedures of port.

1. I use nRF5x SDK v11.0 as a start point. This SDK dependence on CMSIS.
Since currently there is no CMSIS in the Zephyr, should I rewrite the
register and bitfields definitions or just copy these files from nRF52 SDK
to the Zephyr ?
2. From the technical review
https://www.zephyrproject.org/sites/local-zephyr/files/zephyr_project_technical_overview.pdf.
The Zephyr project will support CMSIS. But until now there is no source
code or support of CMSIS. Is it right ?
3. Could someone gives me some suggestions or guide to port a new SOC to
the Zephyr.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Xue Liu

--

Kalowsky, Daniel <daniel.kalowsky@...>

Xue,

Now I am working on the port of nRF52 DK board for Zephyr project. I have
several questions about the procedures of port.

1. I use nRF5x SDK v11.0 as a start point. This SDK dependence on CMSIS.
Since currently there is no CMSIS in the Zephyr, should I rewrite the register
and bitfields definitions or just copy these files from nRF52 SDK to the Zephyr
?
Can you provide a bit more detail about the options you're trying?

2. From the technical review https://www.zephyrproject.org/sites/local-
zephyr/files/zephyr_project_technical_overview.pdf. The Zephyr project
will support CMSIS. But until now there is no source code or support of
CMSIS. Is it right ?
There is work being done for this. It's one of the many pieces currently being executed.

3. Could someone gives me some suggestions or guide to port a new SOC to
the Zephyr.
I'd encourage you to look at the arch/ directory for samples of how to model the SOC.

Johan Hedberg

Hi Xue Liu,

On Wed, Apr 06, 2016, Xue Liu wrote:
Now I am working on the port of nRF52 DK board for Zephyr project. I have
several questions about the procedures of port.

1. I use nRF5x SDK v11.0 as a start point. This SDK dependence on CMSIS.
Since currently there is no CMSIS in the Zephyr, should I rewrite the
register and bitfields definitions or just copy these files from nRF52 SDK
to the Zephyr ?
2. From the technical review
https://www.zephyrproject.org/sites/local-zephyr/files/zephyr_project_technical_overview.pdf.
The Zephyr project will support CMSIS. But until now there is no source
code or support of CMSIS. Is it right ?
3. Could someone gives me some suggestions or guide to port a new SOC to
the Zephyr.
Have you taken a look at how MyNewt has implemented support for the
nRF52? It's one of their supported platforms. IIRC they have copies of
the nRF5x SDK header files in their source tree.

Johan

Xue Liu

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for your feedback

Xue,

Now I am working on the port of nRF52 DK board for Zephyr project. I have
several questions about the procedures of port.

1. I use nRF5x SDK v11.0 as a start point. This SDK dependence on CMSIS.
Since currently there is no CMSIS in the Zephyr, should I rewrite the
register
and bitfields definitions or just copy these files from nRF52 SDK to the
Zephyr
?
Can you provide a bit more detail about the options you're trying?
Now I chose the way of copying header files from nrf52 SDK and some macros
of CMSIS, such as __I, __O and __IO.

2. From the technical review https://www.zephyrproject.org/sites/local-
zephyr/files/zephyr_project_technical_overview.pdf. The Zephyr project
will support CMSIS. But until now there is no source code or support of
CMSIS. Is it right ?
There is work being done for this. It's one of the many pieces currently
being executed.
I am really looking forwarding the merge to the master. That will be much
easier for me to port nrf52.

3. Could someone gives me some suggestions or guide to port a new SOC to
the Zephyr.
I'd encourage you to look at the arch/ directory for samples of how to
model the SOC.
Yes. I have seen the soc of FRDM-K64F and stm32. They use unique
definitions of register and bit field.

Regards,

Xue Liu

--

Xue Liu

Hello Johan Hedberg,

Thank you for your info.

.
The Zephyr project will support CMSIS. But until now there is no source
code or support of CMSIS. Is it right ?
3. Could someone gives me some suggestions or guide to port a new SOC to
the Zephyr.
Have you taken a look at how MyNewt has implemented support for the
nRF52? It's one of their supported platforms. IIRC they have copies of
the nRF5x SDK header files in their source tree.
Yes. I have seen the soc source code of nr52. But nRF5x SDK depends on
header files from CMSIS.
Maybe I should go on porting with CMSIS in the "lib" like MyNewt done, and
wait for the official CMSIS support in Zephyr.

Xue Liu