Topics

Python Interpreter for Zephyr

Muhammad Muh <muhammad.muh83@...>

Hi,

I hope you will be fine and in best of the health. I have a small query. If I want to run Python application on top of Zephyr, does Zephyr has the Python interpreter to run a python based application on top of Zephyr?

Please advice. Thank you.

Best Regards

Jack Rosenthal

You could try porting MicroPython to run on Zephyr if it meets your needs. Note that you're looking at a minimum of ~150KB of extra flash space usage, depending on architecture, which features you enable, etc.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 12:26 AM Muhammad Muh <muhammad.muh83@...> wrote:
Hi,

I hope you will be fine and in best of the health. I have a small query. If I want to run Python application on top of Zephyr, does Zephyr has the Python interpreter to run a python based application on top of Zephyr?

Please advice. Thank you.

Best Regards

Maureen Helm

There is already a MicroPython port for Zephyr:

https://github.com/micropython/micropython/tree/master/ports/zephyr

You could try porting MicroPython to run on Zephyr if it meets your needs. Note that you're looking at a minimum of ~150KB of extra flash space usage, depending on architecture, which features you enable, etc.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 12:26 AM Muhammad Muh <muhammad.muh83@...> wrote:

Hi,

I hope you will be fine and in best of the health. I have a small query. If I want to run Python application on top of Zephyr, does Zephyr has the Python interpreter to run a python based application on top of Zephyr?

Please advice. Thank you.

Best Regards

Muhammad Muh <muhammad.muh83@...>

Hi Maureen and Jrosenth,

Thank you for your kind response to my question. I have downloaded the Micropython from the given link. Now I have followed the steps given in the Read Me file given in micropython-master/ports/zephyr, I am getting the following errors, request to please help me in resolving this issue. Thank you.

Use make V=1 or set BUILD_VERBOSE in your environment to increase build verbosity.
Warning: FROZEN_DIR is deprecated in favour of FROZEN_MANIFEST
GEN build/genhdr/qstr.i.last
main.c:108:63: error: missing binary operator before token "("
  108 |     #elif defined(CONFIG_FLASH_MAP) && FLASH_AREA_LABEL_EXISTS(storage)
      |                                                               ^
make: *** [../../py/mkrules.mk:89: build/genhdr/qstr.i.last] Error 1
make: *** Deleting file 'build/genhdr/qstr.i.last'

Best Regards

There is already a MicroPython port for Zephyr:

https://github.com/micropython/micropython/tree/master/ports/zephyr

You could try porting MicroPython to run on Zephyr if it meets your needs. Note that you're looking at a minimum of ~150KB of extra flash space usage, depending on architecture, which features you enable, etc.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 12:26 AM Muhammad Muh <muhammad.muh83@...> wrote:

Hi,

I hope you will be fine and in best of the health. I have a small query. If I want to run Python application on top of Zephyr, does Zephyr has the Python interpreter to run a python based application on top of Zephyr?

Please advice. Thank you.

Best Regards

Maureen Helm

Hi Muhammad,

Please use the Zephyr 2.3.0 release with MicroPython instead of Zephyr master.

Maureen

Thank you for your kind response to my question. I have downloaded the Micropython from the given link. Now I have followed the steps given in the Read Me file given in micropython-master/ports/zephyr, I am getting the following errors, request to please help me in resolving this issue. Thank you.

Use make V=1 or set BUILD_VERBOSE in your environment to increase build verbosity.

Warning: FROZEN_DIR is deprecated in favour of FROZEN_MANIFEST

GEN build/genhdr/qstr.i.last

main.c:108:63: error: missing binary operator before token "("

  108 |     #elif defined(CONFIG_FLASH_MAP) && FLASH_AREA_LABEL_EXISTS(storage)

      |                                                               ^

make: *** [../../py/mkrules.mk:89: build/genhdr/qstr.i.last] Error 1

make: *** Deleting file 'build/genhdr/qstr.i.last'

Best Regards

There is already a MicroPython port for Zephyr:

https://github.com/micropython/micropython/tree/master/ports/zephyr

You could try porting MicroPython to run on Zephyr if it meets your needs. Note that you're looking at a minimum of ~150KB of extra flash space usage, depending on architecture, which features you enable, etc.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 12:26 AM Muhammad Muh <muhammad.muh83@...> wrote:

Hi,

I hope you will be fine and in best of the health. I have a small query. If I want to run Python application on top of Zephyr, does Zephyr has the Python interpreter to run a python based application on top of Zephyr?

Please advice. Thank you.

Best Regards

Muhammad Muh <muhammad.muh83@...>

Moreover, I am using nrf52840 DK.

Thank you very much for your response. I have installed the latest Zephyr version from the Zephyr Projects webpage. It is requested to guide me as how to run the sample Micropython program given in the following link.

Best Regards