Topics

To bring back RPL to Zephyr project

Jian Zhang

Hi All,

I am kind of new to Zephyr dev community. Previously our team was using Zephyr without actively involved in kernel development.

Recently we just noticed that RPL module will be removed in the coming release. Because we are using Zephyr and RPL in the current project and probably will keep using it. I am thinking of bringing it back and take the responsibility to maintain it.

Just want to check if the RPL module with Zephyr is used anywhere? In case it's not required by anyone else, it probably would be easier for us to maintain our own branch.

Please let me know if you guys have any thoughts.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Jian

Thiago Silveira

Hello Jian,

We do use the RPL module in our project, and we will keep using it in the future.

Unfortunately, as we are a very small team, we didn't have the resources to step up and maintain it then, and we don't have the resources now. If you do happen to bring it back and take the responsibility, I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

Best regards,
Thiago

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 11:36 PM Jian Zhang <kernel@...> wrote:
Hi All,

I am kind of new to Zephyr dev community. Previously our team was using Zephyr without actively involved in kernel development.

Recently we just noticed that RPL module will be removed in the coming release. Because we are using Zephyr and RPL in the current project and probably will keep using it. I am thinking of bringing it back and take the responsibility to maintain it.

Just want to check if the RPL module with Zephyr is used anywhere? In case it's not required by anyone else, it probably would be easier for us to maintain our own branch.

Please let me know if you guys have any thoughts.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Jian

Jian Zhang

Hi Thiago,

That's good to know. I will start bringing RPL back to Zephyr :)

Thanks and Best Regards,
Jian

---- On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 19:51:05 +0800 Thiago Silveira <thiago@...> wrote ----

Hello Jian,

> We do use the RPL module in our project, and we will keep using it in the future.
>
> Unfortunately, as we are a very small team, we didn't have the resources to step up and maintain it then, and we don't have the resources now. If you do happen to bring it back and take the responsibility, I'd be glad to help in any way I can.
>
> Best regards,
> Thiago
> On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 11:36 PM Jian Zhang <@jz011235> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am kind of new to Zephyr dev community. Previously our team was using Zephyr without actively involved in kernel development.
>
> Recently we just noticed that RPL module will be removed in the coming release. Because we are using Zephyr and RPL in the current project and probably will keep using it. I am thinking of bringing it back and take the responsibility to maintain it.
>
> Just want to check if the RPL module with Zephyr is used anywhere? In case it's not required by anyone else, it probably would be easier for us to maintain our own branch.
>
> Please let me know if you guys have any thoughts.
>
> Thanks and Best Regards,
> Jian

Schuh Max

Hi,

I would also be interested in getting RPL back. Do you already have a branch somewhere? I would also be willing to participate in the porting.

Best Regards,

Max

Tomasz Bursztyka

Hi,

Former RPL was a port of contiki's RPL implementation, if I am not
mistaken. But it slipped a lot compared to its original code, which one
got a lot more features implemented.

Also, the issue with it, was that it was not very well following our
common design scheme in the network stack, since that was a code from
another OS. It was quite messy, and not optimized as well (a lot of
timers everywher, the context data for RPL was way too big). I'd advise
to reimplement RPL support from scratch. It should be simpler as well
now that net_pkt got its API reworked. Following the design in
ipv6_nbr.c would be a good example I guess.

Br,

Tomasz