Topics

[Zephyr-users] Community input on possible change to Discord from Slack

rs@...

Hi Kumar,

Being a Matrix homeserver administrator myself (Synapse/Riot-Web), but
never having used Discord, I'd like to know what (apart form Adafruit)
made Discord look like the most interesting candidate?

On 7/17/20 12:27 AM, Kumar Gala wrote:
Some requirements for Zephyr chat platform:
* Maintain history
Can not see a problem with this.

* integration with other services (like GitHub)
Never done this, can not say anything about it.

* private channels
Possible - including E2E encryption

* ideally free - or low cost
* no overhead for Zephyr Project (ie not having to run our own server).
What would be considered low cost?

Would a server maintained paid by the LF and run by a volunteer be an
option?

Pros of Discord:
* Shared accounts across "servers" which are really just communities. Makes joining a new server very fast and easy.
Same for Matrix, but solved via federation

* Strong moderation tools (mute, ban, kick) per server. No need to wait for Discord to help.
I had no need yet on my homeserver (~150 accounts), but mute/kick/ban is
not a problem at all. Also, redacting history of a spammer, etc. is very
possible.

* Unlimited history for free.
Possible

* Easy to join via invite link, chat and then establish an account.
I have not tried to enable guest accounts yet, but ...
a) it is very easy to set up a homeserver to allow registering with just
a username and a password, not requiring an e-mail or phone number.
b) People can just re-use their existing Matrix accounts if federation
is enabled

Cons of Discord:
* Can get spammy when publicly listed.
For matrix, sharing the room list with other homeservers can be prevented.

* Closed source so interop with Matrix and IRC is tricky but doable.
Matrix.org does already IRC bridging for its own *and* users on other
homeservers [1].

Also, the speed at which Synapse/Element/etc. is getting developed is
awesome. There are releases pretty much every week, each containing
serious improvements.

Greetings,
Reto

[1]
https://matrix.org/blog/2015/06/22/the-matrix-org-irc-bridge-now-bridges-all-of-freenode

Jack Rosenthal

I use Matrix on other channels. It works pretty nicely, and the open source factor is a bonus.

Reto summed it up pretty well... hope you all do consider it a bit more.