Zephyr: TSC Meeting Minutes (4/29/20)

Brett Preston
 

Zephyr Project TSC - 29 April 2020

Location

Meeting link: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_OTY0NGZmYjktMGVhYS00ZjI5LTllYjItOWM1NWVkN2FjZDEy%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22686ea1d3-bc2b-4c6f-a92c-d99c5c301635%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%2262b63b80-05d3-4465-b5a0-f04e4e156f10%22%7d

 

+1 213-437-3346 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)

Conference ID: 317 954 735#

 

Local numbers: https://dialin.teams.microsoft.com/488d1b50-0dd2-4ca1-aee4-92bb50a48081?id=317954735

 


[In blue meeting notes, in purple post meeting addendums]

Voting TSC Members in Attendance [12 = quorum] - Quorum reached

Voting TSC Member

Attended?

Voting TSC Member

Attended?

Voting TSC Member

Attended?

Amber Hibberd

Yes

Ioannis Glaropoulos

Yes

Michael Scott

No

Anas Nashif

Yes

Johan Hedberg

Yes

Nate Graff

susp

Asger Munk Nielsen 

Yes

Johann Fischer

Yes

Piotr Mienkowski

Yes

Carles Cufi

Yes

Kumar Gala (Kevin Townsend - alternate)

Yes

Rasmus Abildgren

susp

Danny Ørndrup

Yes

Mark Grosen

Yes

Ruud Derwig

Yes

David Brown

Yes

Maureen Helm

Yes

Scott Shawcroft

Yes

David Leach

Yes

Michael Gielda (Peter Gielda - alternate)

Yes

Stefan Mijovic

Yes

Additional Attendees

  • Andrei Laperie, Daniel Leung, Dean Gereaux, Erwan Gouriou, Flavio Ceolin, Jukka Rissanen, Kate Stewart, Kevin Townsend, Marti Bolivar, Patrik Flykt, Peter Bigot, Ryan Erickson,Thomas Tornblom, Torsten Rasmussen, Vinayak Chettimada, Wayne Ren

Out of Office / Vacations

  • TSC Member Name - Dates

    • x

Opens

  • GitHub Permissions - Next Steps:

    • Map GitHub terms (code owner, member, collaborator, owner) to Zephyr Project charter terms (maintainer, committer, contributor)

    • Define process to grant and revoke merge rights and code ownership

  • Safety Committee [Amber]

Agenda

  • Coding Guidelines [Amber]

    • Recap of TSC Discussion April 15

      • Dipo’d feedback on CG

        • ~150 rules based on MISRA C

      • Proposed implementation

        • Staged: CG as reference > limited scope (kernel) > revisit CG > wider enforcement

          • Pathway for approved exceptions

      • Tooling infrastructure

        • Options for scan tool identified

      • Further discussion on 4 rules

    • Rules Needing Further Discussion



  • Rule 1.1: The program shall contain no violations of the standard C syntax and constraints, and shall not exceed the implementations translation limits

    • C99, C11, GNU-isms


  • [David] Hard to see how you could violate this rule if your code compiles? Don’t see that requirement coming from this rule. Rule 1.1 is hard to check.

  • Next step: Flavio and David to sync off-line for further discussion


  • Rule 15.5: A function shall have a single point of exit at the end

    • Required by IEC 61508 and ISO 26262

      • Ok to use goto in limited way and justify use

    • Plan to make this rule non-mandatory initially


  • [Amber] Recommend that for now, set 1.1 and 15.5 aside.


  • AI - Amber will email the TSC mail list to vote for the set of proposed coding guidelines; with understanding that we are doing the staged implementation

    • Include rules and which tools cover them

    • Number of rules that you can enforce programmatically versus other


  • [Kumar] Does it make sense to vote prior to a tooling decision being made?


  • Next Step: Move discussion to mail list


  • TCP2 [Andrei]

    • Moved to top of agenda next week

  • Meeting frequency and platform [Maureen]

    • Cadence: Move back to weekly 

    • Platform: WebEx vs. Teams vs Other?

      • Requests

        • Phone dial-in option (Teams has)

      • Feedback

        • WebEx audio was inferior

        • Would be nice if we don’t force people to install proprietary applications (Zoom, WebEx worked from browser)

        • Jitsi? (had dial-in meeting)

          • Vetted for enterprise usage?

          • Doesn’t scale for large numbers; lot of resources on machines

          • Allow for controlling access?

            • Yes - but would need to test first

        • Microsoft Teams

          • Thorough security implementation

          • 4 square video limitation?

      • Next Step:  Experiment further; use Teams in the meantime

  • Release update and plan (2.3) [Carles]

  • APIs [Carles]

Resources





--
Brett Preston
The Linux Foundation
+1 (971) 303-9030
bpreston@...

Google Talk: bpreston@...
Skype: bprestoncf

Join tsc@lists.zephyrproject.org to automatically receive all group messages.