Date   

TSC virtual F2F agenda for 15 Jul 2020

Maureen Helm
 

Hi everyone,

This is a reminder that tomorrow is the second session of the Zephyr TSC virtual F2F meeting. It starts two hours earlier than our normal weekly TSC meeting and ends at the usual time. The agenda is intentionally simple since we are spanning many time zones and it’s difficult for some people to attend the entire meeting.

 

Time (PDT)

Time (CEST)

Time (CST)

Topic

Owner

06:00-07:00

15:00-16:00

21:00-22:00

Process

Ioannis

07:00-08:00

16:00-17:00

22:00-23:00

Developer Workflow, Slack

Kumar

08:00-08:30

17:00-17:30

23:00-23:30

UX Study

Maureen

08:30-09:00

17:30-18:00

23:30-00:00

Wrap up

All

 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BDLlEh5_YuSiaQURvSO7JkHoF50cy9AD1kMOeDhO1ms/edit#heading=h.whio15l2kx9s

 

This meeting is open to everyone, not just voting TSC members, as we don’t have conference room limitations like we’ve had in previous F2F meetings.

 

I encourage everyone to use webcams if you’re comfortable, to help make this feel more like an actual F2F meeting.

 

Help needed: I need a volunteer to take minutes for the first half of the meeting.

 

See you tomorrow!

 

Maureen

 


Join Microsoft Teams Meeting

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)

Conference ID: 435 743 999#

Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options


Cancelled Event: Zephyr Project: Bug Triage & Release Readiness - Tuesday, 14 July 2020 #cal-cancelled

tsc@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Cancelled: Zephyr Project: Bug Triage & Release Readiness

This event has been cancelled.

When:
Tuesday, 14 July 2020
5:00pm to 6:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: tsc@...

Description:

1st 30 minutes: Triage
2nd 30 minutes: Release

________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 458 645 179#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________


Zephyr: Process Improvement Forum - Mon, 07/13/2020 4:00pm-5:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

tsc@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr: Process Improvement Forum

When: Monday, 13 July 2020, 4:00pm to 5:00pm, (GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Organizer: tsc@...

Description:

 
Purpose: To discuss, come up with, and follow up on actionable ways of improving our processes, our way of working and of organizing ourselves
 
Expected result: Clear actions which can and will be implemented, to ensure we increase efficiency, reduce frustration and allow continued growth

________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 571 573 460#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________


Zephyr: TSC Meeting Minutes (7/8/20 - Virtual TSC F2F)

Brett Preston
 

Zephyr Project TSC - 8 July 2020

Location

Join Microsoft Teams Meeting

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)

Conference ID: 435 743 999#

Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options


[In blue meeting notes, in purple post meeting addendums]

Voting TSC Members in Attendance [12 = quorum] - Quorum reached

Voting TSC Member

Attended?

Voting TSC Member

Attended?

Voting TSC Member

Attended?

Amber Hibberd

Yes

Ioannis Glaropoulos

Yes

Nate Graff

susp

Anas Nashif

Yes

Johan Hedberg

Yes

Piotr Mienkowski

No

Asger Munk Nielsen 

Yes

Johann Fischer

Yes

Rasmus Abildgren

susp

Carles Cufi

Yes

Kumar Gala (Kevin Townsend - alternate)

Yes

Ruud Derwig

Yes

Danny Ørndrup

Yes

Mark Grosen

No

Ryan Erickson

Yes

David Brown

Yes

Maureen Helm

Yes

Scott Shawcroft

Yes

David Eriksson (Joel Westerberg - alternate)

susp

Michael Gielda (Peter Gielda - alternate)

No

Stefan Mijovic

No

David Leach

Yes

Michael Scott

susp



Out of Office / Vacations

  • TSC Member Name - Dates

    • Stefan Mijovic - until July 29

Opens

  • GitHub Permissions - Next Steps:

    • Map GitHub terms (code owner, member, collaborator, owner) to Zephyr Project charter terms (maintainer, committer, contributor)

    • Define process to grant and revoke merge rights and code ownership

  • Safety Committee [Amber]

Agenda

  • Strategic Objectives [Maureen]

    • Technical Steering Committee:

      • The Zephyr Project will:

  • Support development on Linux, Windows, and MacOS host operating systems.

    • Discussion:

    • [Kevin T] Breakdown on Linux vs. Windows vs. MacOS users?

    • [Anas] A lot of demand for Windows.

    • Consensus that goal should remain for support across all 3

    • [Anas] Bigger topic - How much do we want to invest in the SDK / How far do we want to take it?

    • [Asger] On Linux, as a developer, it’s much more of a fluid experience. Maybe we need to accept that there are 2 modes of operation.

    •  [Anas] It may be time for another Developer/User Survey

    • [Maureen] Kate is planning a survey right now

    • AI - All: If you have questions to place on the survey (targeting end of month), please send to Maureen/Kate

      • Copy requested for TSC review

      • Need to ensure it’s technical enough to prove helpful for future roadmap

      • Suggested questions to include/add:

        • What operating system are you running

    • [David B] Any other Projects with similar scope that we could look at surveys they have done?

    • [Henrik] Consider looking at new Linux system on Windows 10

      • [Maureen] Stops at USB

      • [Carles] Still have several Product development companies on Windows 7

    • [Kumar] Probably need to spend a little time on deciding on what are the official platforms that are tested, documented

    • [Maureen] What to do in cases/issues when folks file issues/bugs on platforms not included under the official list of supported platforms

      • Close, pointing folks to official list/Slack

  • Support development with GCC and commercial toolchains.

  • Maintain long term support (LTS) releases for at least two years.

  • Make the second long term support (LTS2) release two years after the first (LTS1).

  • Make mainline releases quarterly until May 2020, then every 4 months afterward.

    • Discussion:

    • Update wording (May is already past)

  • Use continuous integration builds and automated checks to validate pull requests, release branches, and the mainline branch.

  • Test release candidates on hardware and consolidate results in TestRail.

    • Discussion:

    • Decided to go away from TestRail

  • Review and update APIs to be suitable for Zephyr applications and compatible with hardware from multiple vendors.

  • Qualify the Bluetooth stack with the latest version of the Bluetooth standard.

    • Discussion:

    • Specify host or host + controller

    • Proposed: Update to host and mesh

    • [Johan] Should still strive to have the controller supporting the latest version

    • [Carles] Replace “stack” with “host and mesh.”

  • Support small memory footprints under ??? KB

    • Discussion:

    • [David L] Did we have a target number that we wanted to have?

    • [Anas] In terms of doing something useful, 16k is the limit

    • [Anas] Features will always come with footprint if they are justified

    • [Maureen] Challenge that keeps coming up is around the balance between memory footprint and other priorities; acknowledge members who care about small memory footprint

    • [David L] Being more aware of how things grow or shrink over time

    • [Anas] Propose updating the Strategic Objective to something like: Project is conscious about footprint requirements for constrained devices (and tracking over time). Not specifying a number.

    • [Anas] Should set some policies about you shouldn’t build something if you don’t need it

    • [Anas] Look at ninja puncover as example

    • AI - Need to revisit tracking footprint and providing additional data

    • [Kumar] Request for close of virtual meeting -- Try to put some priority on actions identified in the meeting(s)

    • [Carles] Once we have a prioritized list, suggest status checks as part of TSC meetings (versus solely in the F2F meetings)

  • Publish documentation and sample applications that demonstrate how to use the kernel, drivers, and subsystems.

  • Engage community developers at all levels, including occasional hobbyists, nonmembers, and member company employees.

    • [Anas] Enhance the last bullet to include more community surveys

    • [Scott] At Adafruit, our only audience is hobbyists

    • [Kumar] Presentation last week from CHAOSS. Need to think about what questions/metrics we need to track.

    • [Kevin] Would love to see more work around sensors

    • [Carles] One thing that would help a lot is having some examples of more advanced Projects -- out of tree project example

    • [Kevin] Try to get some samples around easier to source boards

  • AI - Maureen: Add low power to the list, in addition to footprint and performance


  • Roadmap Planning to LTS2 [Maureen]

    • Release Plan: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/projects/9

    • [Anas] API freeze part makes sense (need 2 Releases for an API to freeze)

    • [Kumar] Working backwards, is it all going to land in 2.4? Understand the desire.

      • [Anas] All depends on how much we can get into 2.4

      • [Kumar] What are the key things for LTS -- sets the priority

    • Think through: What does the 2.x LTS get you, that the 1.x LTS doesn’t?

    • Power management, DTS

    • [Carles] Prioritization of things we want to do for the Project in general; LTS prioritization (2.6)

    • [Kumar] Value in distinguishing roadmap into user categories?

    • Other big items: Need to have more and need to prioritize them

    • [Anas] For LTS, delta between now and LTS -- a lot of things since last year that would be part of the LTS 2. Don’t foresee having a problem around having a full list differentiating between LTS 1 and LTS 2.

      • [Kumar] Driver API stabilization

      • [Anas] Audio support - SOF (Sound-open-firmware)

      • [Carles] 32-bit Cortex-A support, Paging support

      • [Kumar] Start Release Notes LTS 2? Clean up as part of 2.6 Release (holding spot to start tracking) // Add as cards under 2.6

      • [Kumar] Toolchain (IAR) - what will we realistically be able to say for 2.6? Aiming for full IAR compile link support? User visible statement

        • That’s the plan

      • [Anas] 2.6 Release criteria tracking

      • [Carles] Would like to have I2S and I2C for LTS 2

      • AI - All: Request folks working on 2.6/LTS2 to start adding Cards, Github issues

  • PR Backlog [Kumar]

    • We seem to keep growing the backlog - at 550 Open

    • What type of metrics should we try to track? Use Labels as a way to categorize what areas we are lagging in?

    • Some of this is due to the change of going to 2 reviewers

    • How do we grow the review pool? Identify people we should be asking for reviews from

    • Feels like the Project has more engagement - good thing! - How do we convert some of them to reviewers/maintainers/etc ; work on backlog

    • [Carles] What is the action that could be most effective?

    • [Kumar] If there’s new people, try to figure out areas they may be focusing on?

      • What areas are getting underserved?

      • How to identify who may be contributing to areas who could help?

    • [Anas] First thing I would do is a general clean-up; have been very relaxed with how people are contributing PRs (a lot of draft PRs); a lot of DNM; some sitting there for 1 year+

      • Draft: 66 Open

      • DNM: 62 Open

      • Has Conflicts: x

      • Removing the above, you reduce number to 321 Open PRs

      • Also to note -- No Reviews: 121

    • [Anas] Main problem is the noise. Another problem is that we need to have people review more than they are comfortable.

    • Maintainers file needs to be finalized and pushed

      • Once it’s there, people will start updating/approving

    • [Maureen] Maybe we just have Release Team start assigning manually until it’s automated

      • [Anas] Need to finalize the maintainers file before we can start automating

    • [Kumar] PRs without assignee -- review in the Release Meeting

    • [Kumar] May need to update policy on Draft PRs and DNMs and how long they are allowed to stay open?

    • [Anas] In the past (Gerrit), we were sending emails with the new things from the last day; things that are lagging

    • [Ioannis] How can we make sure the Release Team doesn’t merge something not ready to merge?

      • [Kumar] There are a few labels that should only apply to Draft PRs

      • [Anas] Scan the PR for certain labels and disable merging if they are present

      • [from chat] Can look at https://github.com/Muhnad/dont-merge

      • [Maureen] Encourage using Draft status more?

      • [Anas] Suggest any changes to West, automatically switch to DNM

      • [Kumar] Does it have the assignees approval? It may have others, but has the assignee signed off?

      • [Maureen] If the assignee has +1’d, then it’s mergeable (caveat: if assignee is also the author)

Resources

CFP Open (closes July 26): https://events.linuxfoundation.org/open-source-summit-europe/program/cfp/



*** Previous minutes available at: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xiO721JwqW_H_BpGMOJ4PY3vLVy7nxW2fhy841nsP10/edit#heading=h.x36xe8bnwr9r


--
Brett Preston
The Linux Foundation
+1 (971) 303-9030
bpreston@...

Google Talk: bpreston@...
Skype: bprestoncf


GCC & IAR handling of literal pools

David Leach
 

Here are my notes on literal pools I was referring to in the F2F today. Because the code generation for Thumb has restrictions on the size of literals an instruction can encode the compiler leverages literal pools generated in the .text area to store the larger literal values. If a file has a number of accesses to a literal value it can reference a common pool entry instead of having one on each code block reference. Depending on the code the .text size difference between GCC and IAR was measurable and meaningful. Not anything you can do from a code perspective but an interesting difference between GCC and IAR tool chains

 

 

Literal Pools

 

The ARM tool chain uses literal pools to hold constant 32-bit literal values that are to be loaded into registers. These literal pools are placed in generated assembly code to allow access by the LDR instruction. The offset can be:

 

·         less than 4KB in ARM or 32-bit Thumb code in either direction

·         forward and less than 1KB in 16-bit Thumb LDR instruction.

 

Locality

 

Locality of the assembly code to the literal pool will affect the number of pools generated. If a large C file has multiple references to a constant value that is placed in the literal pool the number of pools generated to support this constant value depends on the offset range to the various literal pools. If the instruction can't reach the pool a new one is generated to address the problem

 

Unfortunately, the GCC compiler tools will always place the literal pool immediately following the function that references it. The compiler chain does not attempt to optimize the generation of literal pools so the result is a literal pool after every routine and if multiple routines in a file reference the same literal value the GCC compiler will duplicate that value in a literal pool after every function.

 

The IAR tool chain takes a larger scope view and will create a single literal pool at the bottom of the file which removes the need for multiple literal pools that may exist in a file. [N.B.: Even though there is a single literal pool in a file even IAR will generate multiple instances of the same value. Not sure why but it doesn't go as badly as GCC does with one per routine.]

 

 

 

 

 

David Leach

 

NXP Semiconductors

phone: +1.210.241.6761

Email: david.leach@...

 

 


Upcoming Event: Zephyr: TSC Virtual F2F - Session 1 - Wed, 07/08/2020 1:00pm-4:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

tsc@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr: TSC Virtual F2F - Session 1

When: Wednesday, 8 July 2020, 1:00pm to 4:00pm, (GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Organizer: tsc@...

Description:


________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 435 743 999#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________


TSC virtual F2F agenda for 8 Jul 2020

Maureen Helm
 

Hi everyone,

This is a reminder that tomorrow is the first session of the Zephyr TSC virtual F2F meeting. It starts two hours earlier than our normal weekly TSC meeting and ends at the usual time. The agenda is intentionally simple since we are spanning many time zones and it’s difficult for some people to attend the entire meeting.

 

Time (PDT)

Time (CEST)

Time (CST)

Topic

Owner

06:00-07:00

15:00-16:00

21:00-22:00

Strategic Objectives

Maureen

07:00-08:00

16:00-17:00

22:00-23:00

Roadmap Planning to LTS2

Maureen

08:00-09:00

17:00-18:00

23:00-00:00

PR Backlog

Kumar

 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BDLlEh5_YuSiaQURvSO7JkHoF50cy9AD1kMOeDhO1ms/edit#heading=h.whio15l2kx9s

 

This meeting is open to everyone, not just voting TSC members, as we don’t have conference room limitations like we’ve had in previous F2F meetings.

 

I encourage everyone to use webcams if you’re comfortable, to help make this feel more like an actual F2F meeting.

 

See you tomorrow!

 

Maureen

 


Join Microsoft Teams Meeting

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)

Conference ID: 435 743 999#

Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options


Upcoming Event: Zephyr Project: Bug Triage & Release Readiness - Tue, 07/07/2020 5:00pm-6:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

tsc@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr Project: Bug Triage & Release Readiness

When: Tuesday, 7 July 2020, 5:00pm to 6:00pm, (GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Organizer: tsc@...

Description:

1st 30 minutes: Triage
2nd 30 minutes: Release

________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 458 645 179#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________


Upcoming Event: Zephyr: Process Improvement Forum - Mon, 07/06/2020 4:00pm-5:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

tsc@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr: Process Improvement Forum

When: Monday, 6 July 2020, 4:00pm to 5:00pm, (GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Organizer: tsc@...

Description:

 
Purpose: To discuss, come up with, and follow up on actionable ways of improving our processes, our way of working and of organizing ourselves
 
Expected result: Clear actions which can and will be implemented, to ensure we increase efficiency, reduce frustration and allow continued growth

________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 571 573 460#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________


Zephyr: TSC Meeting Minutes (7/1/20)

Brett Preston
 

Zephyr Project TSC - 1 July 2020

Location

Join Microsoft Teams Meeting

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)

Conference ID: 435 743 999#

Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options


[In blue meeting notes, in purple post meeting addendums]

Voting TSC Members in Attendance [12 = quorum] - Quorum reached.

Voting TSC Member

Attended?

Voting TSC Member

Attended?

Voting TSC Member

Attended?

Amber Hibberd

Yes

Ioannis Glaropoulos

Yes

Nate Graff

susp

Anas Nashif

No

Johan Hedberg

Yes

Piotr Mienkowski

Yes

Asger Munk Nielsen 

Yes

Johann Fischer

Yes

Rasmus Abildgren

susp

Carles Cufi

No

Kumar Gala (Kevin Townsend - alternate)

Yes

Ruud Derwig

Yes

Danny Ørndrup

Yes

Mark Grosen

Yes

Ryan Erickson

Yes

David Brown

Yes

Maureen Helm

Yes

Scott Shawcroft

No

David Eriksson (Joel Westerberg - alternate)

susp

Michael Gielda (Peter Gielda - alternate)

Yes

Stefan Mijovic

No

David Leach

Yes

Michael Scott

susp



Out of Office / Vacations

  • TSC Member Name - Dates

    • TBA

Opens

  • GitHub Permissions - Next Steps:

    • Map GitHub terms (code owner, member, collaborator, owner) to Zephyr Project charter terms (maintainer, committer, contributor)

    • Define process to grant and revoke merge rights and code ownership

  • Safety Committee [Amber]

Agenda

  • Contributor visualization [Gabe/Sean]

    • [slides]

    • Repeat contributors high compared to other Projects we’ve looked at (usually closer to 60/40)

    • Distinction between commit and pull request?

      • When PR gets merged, that would count as a commit

    • Health number?

      • CHAOSS metrics - could include CHAOSS definitions

      • In terms of thinking about overall health, it’s very subjective

    • 3 things affect new contributors

      • Want to fix one thing that’s affecting what they’re doing (drive bys)

      • If first response is fast, that increases the level of contributors

      • If first pull request is accepted

    • [MH] Contributing as part of their job would increase the stickiness factor as well

    • [KG] From a Project perspective, how do we have this data consistently available?

      • Presentations are helpful to know if what we’re doing is useful to the community. Intention is to make this available as part of a regular report that the community could get.

        • Get digested graphic

        • Get access to tools that build it

    • Request to provide visualizations per Release / show Releases on the visualizations

  • Network testing [Andrei]

    • Maxwell Pro

    • For the last 2 years, Andrei’s team took the action to verify Zephyr networking stack using Maxwell Pro.

      • Won’t be able to commit to run this test suite

      • Requires virtual machine and an engineer / 10-20% of an engineers time

      • Any company/member of Zephyr able to support, then we can consider handing off

      • AI - TSC: If you are able to volunteer to run Maxwell Pro, or would like to discuss further, please contact Andrei

  • Process WG (meeting minutes) [Ioannis]

    • Group has been working on clarifying expectations around maintainers amending and cherry picking commits

    • Draft PR to share what Process WG has put together - Contribute guidelines: amend documentation for policies around modifying others' work: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/26046

    • Requesting formal vote by the TSC to accept/adopt

    • Will hold the vote on the July 8 TSC call

  • Release update and plan (2.4) [Maureen]

    • Focusing on getting the bug counts down

    • Have added a new GitHub action to automatically tag Issues that have been stale for 60 days

    • Currently at 278 Low Priority bugs. Lots of work to get down to 150 by September.

    • 37 Medium Bugs

    • High priority bugs

    • Want to look at automating bug counts

  • TSC virtual F2F draft agenda [Maureen]


Resources





--
Brett Preston
The Linux Foundation
+1 (971) 303-9030
bpreston@...

Google Talk: bpreston@...
Skype: bprestoncf


Upcoming Event: Zephyr Project: TSC - Wed, 07/01/2020 3:00pm-4:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

tsc@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr Project: TSC

When: Wednesday, 1 July 2020, 3:00pm to 4:00pm, (GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Organizer: tsc@...

Description:

For top-level technical discussions.
 

________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 435 743 999#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________


TSC meeting agenda for 1 Jul 2020

Maureen Helm
 

Hi all,

Here is the TSC meeting agenda for 1 Jul 2020:

  • Contributor visualization [Gabe/Sean]
  • Network testing [Andrei]
  • Process WG (meeting minutes) [Ioannis]
  • Release update and plan (2.4) [Maureen]
  • TSC virtual F2F draft agenda [Maureen]

 

Live meeting minutes are located here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xiO721JwqW_H_BpGMOJ4PY3vLVy7nxW2fhy841nsP10

________________________________________________________________________________

Join Microsoft Teams Meeting

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)

Conference ID: 435 743 999#

Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options

 


Upcoming Event: Zephyr Project: Bug Triage & Release Readiness - Tue, 06/30/2020 5:00pm-6:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

tsc@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr Project: Bug Triage & Release Readiness

When: Tuesday, 30 June 2020, 5:00pm to 6:00pm, (GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Organizer: tsc@...

Description:

1st 30 minutes: Triage
2nd 30 minutes: Release

________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 458 645 179#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________


Upcoming Event: Zephyr: Process Improvement Forum - Mon, 06/29/2020 4:00pm-5:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

tsc@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr: Process Improvement Forum

When: Monday, 29 June 2020, 4:00pm to 5:00pm, (GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Organizer: tsc@...

Description:

 
Purpose: To discuss, come up with, and follow up on actionable ways of improving our processes, our way of working and of organizing ourselves
 
Expected result: Clear actions which can and will be implemented, to ensure we increase efficiency, reduce frustration and allow continued growth

________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 571 573 460#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________


Cancelled Event: Zephyr: Networking Forum - Tuesday, 7 July 2020 #cal-cancelled

tsc@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Cancelled: Zephyr: Networking Forum

This event has been cancelled.

When:
Tuesday, 7 July 2020
3:00pm to 4:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: tsc@...

Description:


________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 458 216 365#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________


Zephyr: TSC Meeting Minutes (6/24/20)

Brett Preston
 

Zephyr Project TSC - 24 June 2020

Location

Join Microsoft Teams Meeting

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)

Conference ID: 435 743 999#

Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options


[In blue meeting notes, in purple post meeting addendums]

Voting TSC Members in Attendance [12 = quorum] - Quorum reached.

Voting TSC Member

Attended?

Voting TSC Member

Attended?

Voting TSC Member

Attended?

Amber Hibberd

No

Ioannis Glaropoulos

Yes

Nate Graff

susp

Anas Nashif

Yes

Johan Hedberg

Yes

Piotr Mienkowski

Yes

Asger Munk Nielsen 

Yes

Johann Fischer

Yes

Rasmus Abildgren

susp

Carles Cufi

Yes

Kumar Gala (Kevin Townsend - alternate)

Yes

Ruud Derwig

Yes

Danny Ørndrup

Yes

Mark Grosen

No

Ryan Erickson

Yes

David Brown

Yes

Maureen Helm

No

Scott Shawcroft

Yes

David Eriksson

No

Michael Gielda (Peter Gielda - alternate)

No

Stefan Mijovic

Yes

David Leach

Yes

Michael Scott

susp



Out of Office / Vacations

  • TSC Member Name - Dates

    • TBA

Opens

  • GitHub Permissions - Next Steps:

    • Map GitHub terms (code owner, member, collaborator, owner) to Zephyr Project charter terms (maintainer, committer, contributor)

    • Define process to grant and revoke merge rights and code ownership

  • Safety Committee [Amber]

Agenda

  • Device structure constification presentation [Tomasz]

    • [link to presentation]

    • Switching all device instance to constant

    • The idea and why

      • Basically all struct device would be made constant in Zephyr code base.

      • Why?

        • All attributes in struct device are set at build time (no reason to live in RAM then)

        • To save RAM

        • Enable further improvements on device API without bloating RAM (part of the gain could be reused for this)

    • Effects on Zephyr code base

      • DEVICE_DEFINE() macro will generate a constant device instance

      • Linker will always place such device instance in ROM.

      • All device driver API will need one change:

        • struct device *dev > const struct device *dev

      • A border effect:

        • All functions having a void * as parameter will need to be checked whether they get a device instance passed there.

      • (that effect, in return, will help to spot inconsistent API definitions)

    • Status

      • PR is already being finalized

      • UART API is getting a fix (an inconsistency was found)

    • What are the further improvements?

      • Improving Power Management

      • Normalizing device driver resource management (synchronization and locking)

      • This will directly take advantage of the RAM gain

    • Discussion

      • [Jett] Choosing between which driver is being used?

        • [Tomasz] Don’t see any problems with that. If you want to switch from one instance to another, that knowledge could be in the driver data.

      • [Carles] In the issue, Peter has posted a comment that includes nice statistics in terms of usage/RAM

  • Release update and plan (2.4) [Carles]

  • APIs [Carles]

Resources





--
Brett Preston
The Linux Foundation
+1 (971) 303-9030
bpreston@...

Google Talk: bpreston@...
Skype: bprestoncf


Upcoming Event: Zephyr Project: TSC - Wed, 06/24/2020 3:00pm-4:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

tsc@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr Project: TSC

When: Wednesday, 24 June 2020, 3:00pm to 4:00pm, (GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Organizer: tsc@...

Description:

For top-level technical discussions.
 

________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 435 743 999#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________


TSC meeting agenda for 24 Jun 2020

Carles Cufi
 

Hi all,

I will be driving the meeting today since Maureen is unable to this week.

Here is the TSC meeting agenda for 24 Jun 2020:

- Device structure constification presentation [Tomasz]
- Release update and plan (2.4) [Carles]
- APIs [Carles]

Live meeting minutes are located here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xiO721JwqW_H_BpGMOJ4PY3vLVy7nxW2fhy841nsP10
________________________________________________________________________________
https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_Y2VjMGFmYzMtMDE1MC00MGQ3LWE2YTAtNGEzNzJiOWIyOTg0%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22af0096d9-700c-411a-b795-b3dd7122bad2%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%22841a7c92-7816-4faf-9887-5e334e88f6d8%22%7d+1 321-558-6518 United States,


Cancelled Event: Zephyr Project: Bug Triage &amp; Release Readiness - Tuesday, 23 June 2020 #cal-cancelled

tsc@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Cancelled: Zephyr Project: Bug Triage & Release Readiness

This event has been cancelled.

When:
Tuesday, 23 June 2020
5:00pm to 6:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: tsc@...

Description:

1st 30 minutes: Triage
2nd 30 minutes: Release

________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 458 645 179#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________


Upcoming Event: Zephyr Project: Bug Triage & Release Readiness - Tue, 06/23/2020 5:00pm-6:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

tsc@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr Project: Bug Triage & Release Readiness

When: Tuesday, 23 June 2020, 5:00pm to 6:00pm, (GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Organizer: tsc@...

Description:

1st 30 minutes: Triage
2nd 30 minutes: Release

________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 458 645 179#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________