Re: [Zephyr-devel] [Zephyr-users] Introducing west, Zephyr's meta-tool

Luiz Augusto von Dentz

Hi Carles,
On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 11:40 AM Cufi, Carles <Carles.Cufi@nordicsemi.no> wrote:

Hi Jamie, Luiz,

-----Original Message-----
From: Jamie Mccrae <Jamie.Mccrae@lairdtech.com>
Sent: 29 January 2019 10:35
To: Luiz Augusto von Dentz <luiz.dentz@gmail.com>; Cufi, Carles
<Carles.Cufi@nordicsemi.no>
Cc: zephyr-devel <zephyr-devel@lists.zephyrproject.org>; zephyr-
users@lists.zephyrproject.org
Subject: RE: [Zephyr-devel] [Zephyr-users] Introducing west, Zephyr's
meta-tool

Hi Carles,
Note that we have not at any point considered moving away from
GitHub. The plan is to adapt to what the service offers and try to find
a solution that works well with it. This is also one of the reasons we
are first introducing west without actually splitting the ext/ folder
into multiple external repos: we want to expose users to west before we
start doing more radical changes.

Well good, though Im not sure what problem does west solves then? For
pulling it sounds like submodules is the preferable solution (to linux
folks at least):
https://public-inbox.org/git/338901fc-6dc8-2684-c116-393e603f85e9@suse
.de/t/
I agree with Luiz here, what does west provide that submodules doesn't
provide? Why do I and others now need yet another piece of software to
build Zephyr code (python)?
There are a number of reasons why we don't use Git submodules, all of which are described in the GitHub issue describing multi-repo:
Well I didn't have to go as far since someone already commented similar thing:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/6770#issuecomment-445496706

So attached vs detached approach, there seems to be quite many on the
camp that we need to have the repositories attached while some
considered the detached approach a must have. As individual
contributor I think using the attached approach is a must, specially
if one wants to actually run sanity checks which sometimes is
necessary e.g. when you are actually writing a test case which depends
on a feature from a different repository.

I encourage you to read through the (admittedly quite long) list of comments there and continue the conversation.

Luiz Augusto von Dentz