From: Marti Bolivar [mailto:marti@...]
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2019 6:39 PM
To: Birch Jr, Johnnie L <johnnie.l.birch.jr@...>
Cc: users@...
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-users] West not installing; Alternative ways to install? #west

Hi Johnnie,

You can run "pip3 show -f west" to see where west was installed. Please make sure that is on your PATH. On Linux that is likely to be ~/.local/bin or so.

Marti

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019, 7:23 PM <johnnie.l.birch.jr@... wrote:

Hi All,

Getting started with zephyr, wanting to flash on an arduino 101 board for some experimentation. My host system is Mint 18.1 based on Ubuntu 16.04. I've followed steps to install the SDK and I assume that is installed correctly. Now I am following steps to install west from here: https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/getting_started/getting_started.html#get-the-source-code  but this step:

# Linux
pip3 install --user west

does not seem to do what it is intended. It leads to what looks like a successful install:

jlb6740@yshou-mint:~$ pip3 install --user west
Collecting west
  Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/7d/f7/228d4ba20feb2e2041abb2892b459e3bb7ddbfff28cc5963fb3787c92c46/west-0.5.4-py3-none-any.whl
Collecting colorama (from west)
  Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/4f/a6/728666f39bfff1719fc94c481890b2106837da9318031f71a8424b662e12/colorama-0.4.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Collecting pykwalify (from west)
  Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/36/9f/612de8ca540bd24d604f544248c4c46e9db76f6ea5eb75fb4244da6ebbf0/pykwalify-1.7.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Collecting PyYAML (from west)
Collecting python-dateutil>=2.4.2 (from pykwalify->west)
  Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/41/17/c62faccbfbd163c7f57f3844689e3a78bae1f403648a6afb1d0866d87fbb/python_dateutil-2.8.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Collecting docopt>=0.6.2 (from pykwalify->west)
Collecting six>=1.5 (from python-dateutil>=2.4.2->pykwalify->west)
  Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/73/fb/00a976f728d0d1fecfe898238ce23f502a721c0ac0ecfedb80e0d88c64e9/six-1.12.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Installing collected packages: colorama, six, python-dateutil, docopt, PyYAML, pykwalify, west
Successfully installed PyYAML-3.13 colorama-0.4.1 docopt-0.6.2 pykwalify-1.7.0 python-dateutil-2.8.0 six-1.10.0 west-0.5.4
You are using pip version 8.1.1, however version 19.0.2 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command.
jlb6740@yshou-mint:~$ westcos-tool ^C
jlb6740@yshou-mint:~/Downloads$ west --version
No command 'west' found, did you mean:
 Command 'test' from package 'coreutils' (main)
west: command not found
jlb6740@yshou-mint:~/Downloads$

but there is no "west" file to execute on my path. At the website for west the install command is slightly different:

pip3 install west

But again, nothing is found on my path. I tried to install the whl file, I also tried to install with sudo but nothing has given me an executable to move on to the next steps:

west init zephyrproject
cd zephyrproject
west update

What are some alternative ways to installing this west script? Even the "Using Zephyr with west" page seems to imply I will want it for flashing and debugging later so I assume this is not a step I should skip.

Thanks,
Johnnie