Re: 96boards Nitrogen

Vinayak Kariappa

Hi Steve,

Good. You have clarified that indeed radio h/w is live and kicking.

May be something around the antenna matching is bad that only some peer see the transmissions.

I can be suspicious that the Factory Configuration Information is probably erased (like a full erase done using nrfjprog). You can check if the identity address printed on  "init" in shell application remains same after power resets, if so, then I have no more ideas.

Few of us are available at #zephyrproject on freenode.net, in case you prefer to IRC.

- Vinayak

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 7:27 PM, Steve Brown <sbrown@...> wrote:
More

On Thu, 2017-09-14 at 19:54 +0000, Chettimada, Vinayak Kariappa wrote:

> > Hello and blinky work. BT does not.
> >

> Ok, so the CPU and UART works :-)
> And, the 32KHz clock domain works, hence the blinks.
>
> Now, CPU can run from internal High Frequency RC or External crystal.
> If your 32MHz crystal on the board has dry solder (or what ever has
> happened), then most probably internal RC remains to clock the SoC.
> But 2.4GHz radio will not be 2.4GHz.
>
> Zephyr v1.9 has Radio Direct Test Mode implementation, hci_uart
> sample can be used with DTM HCI commands to test the radio. The DTM
> HCI commands will fail to respond if the HF clock cannot source from
> a stable crystal.
>

> > And, yes nitrogen_beacon.hex from http://builds.96boards.org/releas
> > es/n
> > itrogen/zephyr-1.8/ flashed to the nano2 advertises. There's no
> > console
> > output as I explained previously.
> >
> > I'm now more convinced that the devices somehow got damaged in
> > transit
> > from Seeed.
>
> Very unlikely (and likely based on conditions), I use nRF51 dongles
> over 5 years now, carry it around in bare hands, worst I have done is
> to have my 32KHz crystal go out of its spec. but BLE operational
> using the 32KHz RC.
>

> > I'll report when I get the ones I ordered from Digikey. I expect
> > them
> > to work just fine.
> >
> > If you are curious about what happened to the radios, I'd be glad
> > send you the 2 I got from Seeed.
>
> I think Seeed need to contact our support (I am just a software guy).
>

> > The shipment didn't seem to have been opened. I'm pretty ESD
> > conscious
> > at my end.
> >
> > Steve

These tests were run using tests/bluetooth/shell.

I found and fired up an ubertooth. The 3 advertising freqs are spot on.

Whatever is on the air isn't decoded by ubertooth-btle or bluez w/ a
CSR (0a12:0001) dongle.

So, I tried your iOS nRF connect app. It picks up the advertisements. I
can also connect from my iPhone.

All 3 applications function with the nano2.

Next I tested with a rpi3. It sees the advertisements and can also
connect to the nitrogen. Curiously, ubertooth picks up the SCAN_REQ
from the rpi3, but not the responses from the nitrogen. All the devices
are within 1 meter of each other.

So, I have 2 apps (nRF connect & rpi3) that see what the nitrogen puts
on the air and 2 apps (ubertooth & x64 w/ bluez & CSR dongle) that do
not.

Versions

ubertooth:
  Firmware version: 2017-03-R2 (API:1.02)
  ubertooth 2017-03-R2 (dominicgs@hydrogen) Mon Mar 13 16:09:02 MDT
2017

x64 w/ bluez: V5.47

nRF Connect: V1.7.5

rpi3: raspbian Linux raspberrypi 4.9.43-v7+ w/ bluez V5.43

Can you think of any possible explanation?

Steve