From: users@... <users@...> On Behalf Of dave via lists.zephyrproject.org
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 10:17 PM
To: users@...
Subject: [Zephyr-users] Password Protection for Shell #uart #api

Hello,
I'm quite new to Zephyr, so I may have missed this, but I can't seem to find an easy way to add a simple password protection wall for the shell commands. I don't need or expect a full user model with permissions, just a simple "root" style password that can hide the commands until it is entered. Assuming I connect my device over USB and bring up the shell as a serial console, I can see that I have full access to all the shell commands without any protections. I often design products that use the shell/CLI as an interface to verify the system during manufacturing, as well as deal with systems that may have been bricked in the field, so it's something I'd like to continue using - but I don't want this to be wide open to users.

I could imagine using the API to create a command, like say "login", with a password argument field - but maybe there is a more elegant way?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Cheers,
Dave MacLeod