Re: Private: Re: [Zephyr-users] Same I2C bus on different pins #i2c #driver

Nikolaus Huber

Dear Lawrence,

Thank you for your reply! Indeed, after rereading the data sheet I also realised my confusion. The problem with the rerouting however persists. The chip allows to reroute the SDA and SLC signal from either I2C peripheral dynamically during runtime by changing the location bitfields in the respective I2Cn_ROUTELOC0 registers.

This means, that for example on the Thunderboard 2 Sense development board, different sensors are connected to the same I2C peripheral, but through different pins. So I need to change the ROUTELOC0 register every time before issuing a call to Zephyr’s i2c driver. I was just curious if that is something common, that I’m unaware of, and if there would be a general (i.e. Zephyr idiomatic) way of doing that. I have read through the i2c driver implementation for the Gecko chip family now, and it seems, that that is not really taken care of. So I guess one could do this either within the application code, or do it in the respective sensor driver. Ultimately, I guess it would be nice to change the i2c driver implementation to take care of this, since there probably needs to be some form of mutex between rerouting the i2c peripheral, issuing the call, and routing it back to where it was before, and that mutex is per peripheral.

Thank you all very much for your replies! They really helped.
/Nick

On 23 Nov 2020, at 15:42, Lawrence King <lawrence.king@...> wrote:

Hi Nikolaus

I have yet to see a SOC that allows connecting one internal I2C controller to two sets of external pins at one time. Although theoretically possible it would be an unusual feature, and of very limited use. The usual solution is to have multiple I2C controllers in the SOC, and allow routing of each controller to various pins on the SOC package.

I just had a quick read through the Mighty Gecko datasheet. The processor has two I2C controllers, which in Zephyr parlance will be I2C_1 and I2C_2. You need to define both controllers and their physical pins in your device tree overlay. Then your software must open both controllers, and you must communicate with your peripherals through the correct I2C controller.

Hope this helps.