Re: Disabling Relay feature of a node of bluetooth mesh

ashish.shukla@corvi.com <ashish.shukla@...>

Hi Johan,

Here is brief about my experimental setup :

1. NODE1 : Proxy enabled, Relay disabled
2. NODE2 : Proxy disabled, Relay disabled

Now, both nodes belong to same group, which means they are subscribed to same group address. When I published data on the same group address over GATT bearer using android app, NODE1 relays data, while NODE2 doesn't. This is as it was expected.

NODE2 is programmed for a button interrupt, which submits a task to system thread with callback function as below

static void pub_presence(struct k_work *work)

    static unsigned char led = 0;
    static unsigned char trans_id = 0;

    int err;

    bt_mesh_model_msg_init(root_models[2].pub->msg, OP_GEN_ONOFF_SET);
    net_buf_simple_add_u8(root_models[2].pub->msg,led=led^1);
    net_buf_simple_add_u8(root_models[2].pub->msg,trans_id++);

    err = bt_mesh_model_publish(&root_models[2]);
    if (err) {
        printk("Error in publishing message ");
    }

What I understand is this publishing is over advertising bearer, and NODE1 should not be relaying this packet. But NODE1 relays this packet as well.

--
Warm regards,
Ashish Shukla

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 6:05 PM, Johan Hedberg <johan.hedberg@...> wrote:
Hi Ashish,

On Thu, Dec 07, 2017, ashish.shukla@... wrote:
> I was not understanding meaning of *CONFIG_BT_MESH_RELAY=n*  correctly.
> Thanks for clarification.
>
> However, when I enabled the proxy feature of a node, and disabled its relay
> feature, it relays messages from mesh network as well. I'm using latest
> version  zephyr-1.10.0-rc3.

As I said earlier, when the Proxy feature is enabled, the proxy *should*
be relaying messages from the network to any connected GATT client,
regardless of the Relay feature being enabled or not. If you don't want
your GATT Client to see network traffic, i.e. to only have access to
elements on the GATT Proxy itself, then you should disable the GATT
Proxy feature (have CONFIG_BT_MESH_GATT_PROXY=y but set cfg.gatt_proxy
to BT_MESH_GATT_PROXY_DISABLED).

If you're really seeing advertising to advertising relaying with rc3
(which does have all the latest fixes) there's something very strange
going on, since the logic for this is now quite simple in the code. You
can check this yourself by looking at the bt_mesh_net_relay() function
and the relay_to_adv() helper function that it uses. Both are found in
subsys/bluetooth/host/mesh/net.c.