From: Vikrant More [mailto:vikrant8051@...]
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2018 9:56 AM
To: Chettimada, Vinayak Kariappa <vinayak.kariappa.chettimada@...>
Cc: zephyr-devel@...; zephyr-users@...; Cufi, Carles <Carles.Cufi@...>
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-users] increasing nRF52 Bluetooth range

Hello Vinayak,

    NRF_RADIO->TXPOWER = 0x8;  //+8dBm

    err = bt_enable(bt_ready);
    if (err) {
        printk("Bluetooth init failed (err %d)\n", err);
        return;
    }

    bt_conn_cb_register(&conn_callbacks);
    bt_conn_auth_cb_register(&auth_cb_display);

I modified power to +8 dBM as per your suggestion but didn't find any improvement in the range.

Am I missing something besides this ?

Thank You !!

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 1:57 PM, Chettimada, Vinayak Kariappa <vinayak.kariappa.chettimada@...> wrote:

Hi Vikrant,

The Zephyr BLE controller does not implement the Tx power set interface in the upstream code, hence Zephyr controller operates with +0dBm transmit power.

Feel free to supply the correct h/w Tx Power enumeration to callers of https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/blob/master/subsys/bluetooth/controller/hal/nrf5/radio/radio.c#L112

nRF52840 supports +8dBm and Zephyr controller supports external power amplifiers too using the PA/LNA GPIO lines, in case you want your h/w design to have external chips to get further tx power.