Date

Re: West not installing; Alternative ways to install? #west

Marti Bolivar <marti@...>

Hi Johnnie,

You can run "pip3 show -f west" to see where west was installed. Please make sure that is on your PATH. On Linux that is likely to be ~/.local/bin or so.

Marti

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019, 7:23 PM <johnnie.l.birch.jr@... wrote:

Hi All,

Getting started with zephyr, wanting to flash on an arduino 101 board for some experimentation. My host system is Mint 18.1 based on Ubuntu 16.04. I've followed steps to install the SDK and I assume that is installed correctly. Now I am following steps to install west from here: https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/getting_started/getting_started.html#get-the-source-code  but this step:

# Linux
pip3 install --user west

does not seem to do what it is intended. It leads to what looks like a successful install:

jlb6740@yshou-mint:~$ pip3 install --user west
Collecting west Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/7d/f7/228d4ba20feb2e2041abb2892b459e3bb7ddbfff28cc5963fb3787c92c46/west-0.5.4-py3-none-any.whl
Collecting colorama (from west) Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/4f/a6/728666f39bfff1719fc94c481890b2106837da9318031f71a8424b662e12/colorama-0.4.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl Collecting pykwalify (from west) Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/36/9f/612de8ca540bd24d604f544248c4c46e9db76f6ea5eb75fb4244da6ebbf0/pykwalify-1.7.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl Collecting PyYAML (from west) Collecting python-dateutil>=2.4.2 (from pykwalify->west) Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/41/17/c62faccbfbd163c7f57f3844689e3a78bae1f403648a6afb1d0866d87fbb/python_dateutil-2.8.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl Collecting docopt>=0.6.2 (from pykwalify->west) Collecting six>=1.5 (from python-dateutil>=2.4.2->pykwalify->west) Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/73/fb/00a976f728d0d1fecfe898238ce23f502a721c0ac0ecfedb80e0d88c64e9/six-1.12.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl Installing collected packages: colorama, six, python-dateutil, docopt, PyYAML, pykwalify, west Successfully installed PyYAML-3.13 colorama-0.4.1 docopt-0.6.2 pykwalify-1.7.0 python-dateutil-2.8.0 six-1.10.0 west-0.5.4 You are using pip version 8.1.1, however version 19.0.2 is available. You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command. jlb6740@yshou-mint:~$ westcos-tool ^C jlb6740@yshou-mint:~/Downloads$ west --version No command 'west' found, did you mean: Command 'test' from package 'coreutils' (main) west: command not found jlb6740@yshou-mint:~/Downloads$

but there is no "west" file to execute on my path. At the website for west the install command is slightly different:

pip3 install west

But again, nothing is found on my path. I tried to install the whl file, I also tried to install with sudo but nothing has given me an executable to move on to the next steps:

west init zephyrproject
cd zephyrproject
west update

What are some alternative ways to installing this west script? Even the "Using Zephyr with west" page seems to imply I will want it for flashing and debugging later so I assume this is not a step I should skip.

Thanks,
Johnnie

West not installing; Alternative ways to install? #west

johnnie.l.birch.jr@...

[...]

Re: pyocd with eclipse under Ubuntu18.04

Andy Gross

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 at 14:24, Lawrence King <lawrence.king@irdeto.com> wrote:

That gets me past one error and opens a new one: when I try to start the debugger I get a message: “pyOCD GDB Server failed with code (2).” I suspect I have the Debug Configuration -> Debugger -> pyOCD Setup -> Executable set wrong. Should I be using “pyocd”, “pyocd-server”, or something else?
I use pyocd-gdbserver. Once you spawn that, you can connect to it via
`gdb target remote localhost:3333`.

If you get a chance can you update the documentation page at https://docs.zephyrproject.org/1.13.0/application/application.html#create-a-debugger-configuration for linux users so other people don’t have the same issues.
I'll take a look. Those docs usually get updated pretty regularly.

P.S. Andy - we have met several times at various Linaro Connects, however I was wearing a different hat at that time.
Yeah I recognized the name. Small world, huh? =D

Regards,

Andy

Re: pyocd with eclipse under Ubuntu18.04

Lawrence King

Thanks Andy,

From: "Boie, Andrew P" <andrew.p.boie@...>
Date: Monday, February 11, 2019 at 10:55 PM
To: "Karthik Prabhu Vinod (Intel)" <karthik.prabhu.vinod@...>, "users@..." <users@...>

I'm not sure if anyone before you has tried this. We do have system calls for the socket APIs.

Ø  I tested out with CONFIG_USERSPACE=y

Did you do only this, or did you make API calls from a thread created with K_USER?

Andrew

Can the current mqtt_sock implementation run in user mode thread? Are there obvious limitations that prevent it from running it in user mode?

When I tested, i didnt find any limitation . I tested out with CONFIG_USERSPACE=y

Re: #mqtt_sock #user_mode_thread #mqtt_sock #user_mode_thread

Prabhu Vinod, Karthik

Venkat Rao Vallapaneni <vallapaneni@...>

[...]

Boie, Andrew P

I'm not sure if anyone before you has tried this. We do have system calls for the socket APIs.

Ø  I tested out with CONFIG_USERSPACE=y

Did you do only this, or did you make API calls from a thread created with K_USER?

Andrew

Can the current mqtt_sock implementation run in user mode thread? Are there obvious limitations that prevent it from running it in user mode?

When I tested, i didnt find any limitation . I tested out with CONFIG_USERSPACE=y

#mqtt_sock #user_mode_thread #mqtt_sock #user_mode_thread

Prabhu Vinod, Karthik

Can the current mqtt_sock implementation run in user mode thread? Are there obvious limitations that prevent it from running it in user mode?

When I tested, i didnt find any limitation . I tested out with CONFIG_USERSPACE=y

Zephyr v1.14.0-rc1 Tagged

We have just tagged Zephyr 1.14.0-rc1.

All required features that have not been pushed out to 1.14 are now merged, and so we begin the stabilization phase that should run for around 4 weeks this time. We will now start working on filling in the existing skeleton for the release notes, and closing PRs that need to come into the release. A reminder that, starting with -rc1, we will only accept changes introducing bug fixes, documentation and test cases. Any additional features or enhancements will need to be approved by the TSC.

As this release is meant as our first LTS we will be going through a longer stabilization phase to work on reducing our bug counts. Please focus on bugs during this period. If you submit a PR please ensure that it has the ‘v1.14.0’ Milestone set and either ’Bug’ or ’TSC’ label set on it.

The final release is tentatively scheduled for the 5th of April.

The full release log can be found here:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/releases/tag/v1.14.0-rc1

Thanks to everybody who contributed to this release!

Kumar

Re: Changing connection parameter in connected event from peripheral side seems to hang up system #ble #nrf52840

Chettimada, Vinayak Kariappa <vinayak.kariappa.chettimada@...>

Could you provide details on how to reproduce the issue you are facing? Which commit, boards and devices used etc.

From: <users@...> on behalf of "Lubos, Robert" <robert.lubos@...>
Date: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 12:29 AM
To: "Karthik Prabhu Vinod (Intel)" <karthik.prabhu.vinod@...>, "users@..." <users@...>

Hello Karthik,

MQTT event callback will run in the same thread from which you call `mqtt_input` function. So in case you call it from ISR (not recommended), the event callback will also run from ISR. I’m not sure how Zephyr’s test engine works internally, but perhaps it’s tests are run from ISR context. So while the code in the test might be fine to read and analyze, perhaps you should move it to real sample if you want to play with it.

I’m also not sure that you problems pertain from calling `k_fifo_put` form the IRQ context. According to documentation, this kernel function is safe to call from ISR, and I know it is used that way in existing code.

Regards,

Robert Lubos

This is a request for tips and advice or any other suggestion. I am trying to populate a fifo queue here: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/blob/master/tests/net/lib/mqtt_pubsub/src/test_mqtt_pubsub.c#L169 .  I realized i cant do that directly because I get a data access violation since the mqtt callback runs in a ISR. I verified this by k_is_in_isr().

So I delegated or offloaded the k_fifo_put work to a system work queue. Now, k_fifo_put runs inside a system work queue thread. But even then, I get an Unaligned data access.

I know there is not enough data to troubleshoot, But am I doing something obviously wrong. Any comments or hints or tips?

I did reference a lot of samples while trying this.

Re: Introducing west, Zephyr's meta-tool

Carles Cufi

Hi David,