Date

Re: BLE mesh message advertising interval

Venkat Rao Vallapaneni <vallapaneni@...>

Hi,

I also have a follow-up question, more related to the specification. This is regarding Publish Retransmit Count. I suppose this increases the number of mesh messages advertised. Can we have "Model Publication" state for configuration server model also? In the specification, it is mentioned that: "models defined by higher layer specifications use instances of the model publication state to control the publishing of messages". Not sure if we can have this state for base model such as configuration server.

Rgds,
Venkat.

On 08/07/19 8:30 PM, Venkat Rao Vallapaneni wrote:

Hi,

I am trying BLE mesh on-off app on nrf52840 USB dongle. I have provisioned two devices.
After provisioning, I have connected from my android device to node1 and sending messages to configuration server of node2. Node1, node2 and mobile are next to each other.
I am sending 25 configuration messages (binding app keys, setting pub and adding sub) for all generic onoff server/client models in node2.

Sometimes, I see that I don't get response (No response could be first message or any message in between or sometimes even I am successful in binding app keys to all models, but rarely).
When I debugged, I noticed that node2 receives configuration message (node1 relays the message received by the android device) and it also sends response with mesh message.

This mesh message is missed by node1. I am trying to understand more on why this mesh message advertising packet was missed by node1.

I noticed that in mesh/adv.c, I see that min interval and max interval are same. In the specifications, it is mentioned that: "The Advertising_Interval_Min shall be less than or equal to the Advertising_Interval_Max. The Advertising_Interval_Min and Advertising_Interval_Max should not be the same value to enable the Controller to determine the best advertising interval given other activities."

param.interval_min = ADV_SCAN_UNIT(adv_int);
param.interval_max = param.interval_min;

Why these two values are set same?

I have tried making interval_max as ADV_SCAN_UNIT(adv_int+5) but didn't help.

I have used default settings in mesh on-off sample app:

/* 3 transmissions with 20ms interval */
.net_transmit = BT_MESH_TRANSMIT(2, 20),

I increased the transmissions to 6 (along with max interval greater than min interval) and it improved (3/5 times successful in sending 25 configuration messages back to back).

Any other recommended approaches to minimize mesh message advertising packet losses?

Thanks,
Venkat.

[...]

DTC version unsupported error #west

Eric

On a new Ubuntu install, I'm having this issue with Zephyr using West.  It's also referenced in this issue, but the fix mentioned there didn't work for me:

$ west build -b nrf51_pca10031
-- west build: build configuration:
       source directory: /home/hp1/zephyrproject/zephyr/samples/hello_world
       build directory: /home/hp1/zephyrproject/zephyr/samples/hello_world/build
       BOARD: nrf51_pca10031 (origin: command line)
-- west build: generating a build system
Zephyr version: 1.14.99
-- Selected BOARD nrf51_pca10031
-- Found west: /home/hp1/.local/bin/west (found suitable version "0.5.7", minimum required is "0.5.6")
CMake Error at /home/hp1/zephyrproject/zephyr/cmake/extensions.cmake:1324 (message):
  Assertion failed: The detected dtc version is unsupported.

      The version was found to be 1.4.5
      But the minimum supported version is 1.4.6
      See https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/getting_started/
      for how to use the SDK's dtc alongside a custom toolchain.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /home/hp1/zephyrproject/zephyr/cmake/host-tools.cmake:69 (assert)
  /home/hp1/zephyrproject/zephyr/cmake/app/boilerplate.cmake:412 (include)
  CMakeLists.txt:5 (include)

I did try the two environmental variables, which are now part of the Zephyr instructions, but the problem persists.

export ZEPHYR_TOOLCHAIN_VARIANT=zephyr
export ZEPHYR_SDK_INSTALL_DIR=$HOME/zephyr-sdk-0.10.1

I'm unsure how to go about fixing the DTC version issue.

Re: [EXT] [Zephyr-users] UART serial and CDC-ACM on Zephyr #bt #hc5

gnfranco@...

Thanks Andrei

Zephyr kernel compatibility with POSIX standard

Gabriele Morgante

Hi,

we are interested to know the compatibility degree of Zephyr kernel with the POSIX standard.

For instance, could we execute a C program POSIX compliant, written for an x86 linux kernel, on a Zephyr board as a Zephyr Application?

Thanks, regards!

Re: [EXT] [Zephyr-users] UART serial and CDC-ACM on Zephyr #bt #hc5

Andrei Gansari

Hello Glauber,

You need to enable the following configuration BT_UART as this enables UART3 on FRDM-K64F (this is initially designed for Arduino BT shields such as FRDM-KW41Z).

By “cdc_acm <---> UART_3” I assume you want to forward AT commands computer->board->bt.

Once you have UART3 enabled you can continue with the same sample project forwarding commands from one terminal to UART3.

I suggest you also have a look at this help page:

https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/boards/shields/frdm_kw41z/doc/index.html

We use a KW41Z as a BT Arduino shield similar to how you want to use HC05, but using UART HCI, not AT commands.

There is also subsys\bluetooth\host\at.c on what’s implemented on Zephyr’s BT subsystem with AT commands, please have a look at that.

Regards,

Andrei Gansari

*From: *<users@lists.zephyrproject.org> on behalf of KAY LI NG <
kayli0109@gmail.com>
*Date: *Tuesday, 2 July 2019 at 18:15
*To: *"users@lists.zephyrproject.org" <users@lists.zephyrproject.org>
*Subject: *[Zephyr-users] cant perform west init

Hi there,

While performing west init, i face this issue.

$ west init zephyrproject

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/home/gchee2/.local/bin/west", line 11, in <module>

sys.exit(main())

File
"/home/gchee2/.local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/west/_bootstrap/main.py",
line 501, in main

init(wrap_argv[1:])

File
"/home/gchee2/.local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/west/_bootstrap/main.py",
line 257, in init

bootstrap(args)

File
"/home/gchee2/.local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/west/_bootstrap/main.py",
line 323, in bootstrap

exist_ok=True)

File
"/home/gchee2/.local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/west/_bootstrap/main.py",
line 124, in clone

_banner('Cloning {} from {}, rev. {} into {}'.format(desc, url, rev,
dest))

File
"/home/gchee2/.local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/west/_bootstrap/main.py",
line 162, in _banner

print(colorama.Fore.LIGHTGREEN_EX, end='')

AttributeError: 'AnsiCodes' object has no attribute 'LIGHTGREEN_EX'

Some online resources say its the colorama version not up to date, but i
cant seems to upgrade it.

Any idea how to solve it?

Thank you!

Regards,

Kay Li

DTLS over CoAP for the Zephyr project

Nikos Karamolegkos

Hello everyone,

I have seen that other IoT OS use tinydtls for authentication over CoAP and IEEE 802.15.4. On the other hand,  the Zephyr RTOS I have seen (in documentation 1.9) that uses mbed TLS but I confused on how to set it in IoT end devices. Specifically, I was wondering if there is any tutorial to start (e.g in reel boards). Also, I would like to know if the DTLS is based on pre-shared keys or in any elliptic curve cryptography (ECC) algorithm?

Thank you for your time

--
Nikos Karamolegkos
R & D Engineer at ICS-FORTH

Re: cant perform west init

KAY LI NG <kayli0109@...>

From: <users@...> on behalf of KAY LI NG <kayli0109@...>
Date: Tuesday, 2 July 2019 at 18:15
To: "users@..." <users@...>

Hi there,

While performing west init, i face this issue.

$ west init zephyrproject

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/home/gchee2/.local/bin/west", line 11, in <module>

    sys.exit(main())

  File "/home/gchee2/.local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/west/_bootstrap/main.py", line 501, in main

    init(wrap_argv[1:])

  File "/home/gchee2/.local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/west/_bootstrap/main.py", line 257, in init

    bootstrap(args)

  File "/home/gchee2/.local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/west/_bootstrap/main.py", line 323, in bootstrap

    exist_ok=True)

  File "/home/gchee2/.local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/west/_bootstrap/main.py", line 124, in clone

    _banner('Cloning {} from {}, rev. {} into {}'.format(desc, url, rev, dest))

  File "/home/gchee2/.local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/west/_bootstrap/main.py", line 162, in _banner

    print(colorama.Fore.LIGHTGREEN_EX, end='')

AttributeError: 'AnsiCodes' object has no attribute 'LIGHTGREEN_EX'

Some online resources say its the colorama version not up to date, but i cant seems to upgrade it.

Any idea how to solve it?

Thank you!

Regards,

Kay Li

Re: cant perform west init

Marc Herbert

From: <users@...> on behalf of KAY LI NG <kayli0109@...>
Date: Tuesday, 2 July 2019 at 18:15
To: "users@..." <users@...>

[...]

cant perform west init

KAY LI NG <kayli0109@...>

[...]

,

Glauber

Re: Help with out of tree driver addition #nrf52840

@simo

I believe I made some progress after including "myRepo" as a submodule, however now I am running into this:

Including module:  in path: /home/stan/projects/projectRed/myRepo
CMake Error at /home/stan/projects/projectRed/nrfConnectCore/zephyr/CMakeLists.txt:604 (add_subdirectory):
  The binary directory
    /home/stan/projects/projectRed/myRepo/samples/tmp116/build/zephyr
  is already used to build a source directory.  It cannot be used to build
  source directory
    /home/stan/projects/projectRed/myRepo
  Specify a unique binary directory name.

Help with out of tree driver addition #nrf52840

@simo

Hi all, I'm working on a custom product based on the nRF9160 and am trying to setup our version control repo outside of the Zephyr (or in this case the Nordic SDK). Currently I have the following directory structure:

> Project
  > ncs
    > mbedtls
    > mcuboot
    > modules
    > nrf
    > nrfxlib
    > test
    > zephyr
  > myRepo
    > boards
    > drivers
      > CMakeLists.txt
      > Kconfig
      > sensor
        > CMakeLists.txt
        > Kconfig
        > tmp116
          > CMakeLists.txt
          > Kconfig
          > tmp116.c
          > tmp116.h
    > dts
      > bindings
        > sensor
          > ti,tmp116.yaml
    > samples

So far I've been able to create a sample project in myRepo/samples, and build it using cMake by specifying my BOARD and BOARD_ROOT. I'm able to include the zephyr-supported drivers and configure my board to use them.

Now I would like to add support for custom out of tree drivers (TI's TMP116 to start) and am getting stuck. So far I've added the driver folder as above and basically created the same structure as the tmp112 sensor driver in the Zephyr repo. I add CONFIG_SENSOR=y and CONFIG_TMP116=y to my proj.cfg. When I attempt to run cmake, however, I see the following error:

warning: attempt to assign the value 'y' to the undefined symbol TMP116

I've tried a number of things I was able to find online, but nothing has gotten me any closer to successfully building. I suspect that some of my CMakeLists aren't being picked up, or maybe I need to include myRepo as a module? Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Dev review meeting: Agenda

Kumar Gala

Re: [Zephyr-devel] removing HEX_FILES_TO_MERGE?

Benjamin Lindqvist <benjamin.lindqvist@...>

If the feature isn't horribly misimplemented, does what is expected of it and is expected to have very little maintenance costs, why drop it? I haven't used the feature, but I can definitely picture a situation where it might be useful.

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 8:35 AM lairdjm <jamie.mccrae@...> wrote:
Hi Marti,
I haven't personally used this feature at time of writing but I can imagine it would be useful for merging in a bootloader, e.g. we have a design that has 3 components:
        1. Nordic MBR
        2. User application
        3. Bootloader
So may give it a try out in the future.

I imagine users of other devices have similar requirements e.g .with blobs for the ESP32. So I don't see why a working, cross platform feature like this should be removed so that 'users can come up with their own solution', if they want to do that then they can disable the feature and do as they wish already, leaving it in doesn't (as far as I know) cause any issues so why remove it?
Thanks,
Jamie

Re: removing HEX_FILES_TO_MERGE?

Jamie Mccrae <Jamie.Mccrae@...>

Hi Marti,
I haven't personally used this feature at time of writing but I can imagine it would be useful for merging in a bootloader, e.g. we have a design that has 3 components:
1. Nordic MBR
2. User application
3. Bootloader
So may give it a try out in the future.

I imagine users of other devices have similar requirements e.g .with blobs for the ESP32. So I don't see why a working, cross platform feature like this should be removed so that 'users can come up with their own solution', if they want to do that then they can disable the feature and do as they wish already, leaving it in doesn't (as far as I know) cause any issues so why remove it?
Thanks,
Jamie

removing HEX_FILES_TO_MERGE?

Is anybody using the HEX_FILES_TO_MERGE build system property?

It was originally added by Nordic, but has since been removed from our
downstream Zephyr distribution, and I personally think it would make
sense to remove it from upstream as well for Zephyr 2.0 unless it's
proven useful to others.

There seems to be rough TSC consensus that upstream Zephyr should
avoid trying to half-solve the problem of "stitching" together blobs
into a final executable, in favor of letting users pick their own
solutions. This seems to fall into that category.

Any objections to removing this feature for Zephyr 2.0 (from actual
users)?

I thought I'd ping the list to check, especially since it's an
officially (if briefly) documented feature in the LTS release:

https://docs.zephyrproject.org/1.14.0/application/index.html

Re: flash zephyr build onto atmel board through VM

Marc Herbert

On 25 Jun 2019, at 09:42, Bolivar, Marti <marti.bolivar@nordicsemi.no> wrote:

" via Lists.Zephyrproject.Org"
<kayli0109=gmail.com@lists.zephyrproject.org> writes:

Hi Carles,

I have installed the extension pack, and choose the usb, but i still get
the error of "unable to open CMSIS-DAP device" when i do ninja flash.
Do u know what have i missed out?
Do you have the appropriate udev rules for your device installed so your
user has permissions to access it?
On Ubuntu/Debian try: sudo apt-get install flashrom. Even if you don't
care about flashrom, it comes with a
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/z60_flashrom.rules file that is interesting.

Fedora ships with the same .rules file, however it looks like it wasn't
tested on Fedora, I had to hack it like this:

-ATTRS{idVendor}=="1234", ATTRS{idProduct}=="5678", TAG+="uaccess"
+ATTRS{idVendor}=="1234", ATTRS{idProduct}=="5678", GROUP="dialout"

I searched for a way to trace udev rules but there doesn't seem to be
any way to print which scripts run and when. If anyone knows please share.

Marc

Re: flash zephyr build onto atmel board through VM

Bolivar, Marti

" via Lists.Zephyrproject.Org"
<kayli0109=gmail.com@lists.zephyrproject.org> writes:

Hi Carles,

I have installed the extension pack, and choose the usb, but i still get
the error of "unable to open CMSIS-DAP device" when i do ninja flash.
Do u know what have i missed out?
Do you have the appropriate udev rules for your device installed so your
user has permissions to access it?

Regards,
Kay Li

On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 at 20:48, Cufi, Carles <Carles.Cufi@nordicsemi.no>
wrote:

Hi there,

Yes, many of us use Virtual Machines and flash the boards from inside the
VM. You just need to transfer ownership of the USB device to the VM and
then install the required drivers inside the VM, in the guest OS.

Carles