From: users@... [mailto:users@...] On Behalf Of Nikos Karamolegkos via Lists.Zephyrproject.Org
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2019 12:12
To: users@...
Cc: users@...
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-users] DTLS over CoAP for the Zephyr project

Once again thank you for your detailed answer. Therefore, If I apply the "overlay-802154.conf" overlay config then I will have the 6lowpan stack?

Yes, the OpenThread is really a nice choice.

Also, I am going to check the module nrf52840_pca10056 although doesn't support hardware acceleration as I can see. I would like to find a module which can support hardware acceleration for ECC in DTLS (not only pre-shared key). For now, as I can see in the tls_credential.h file the DTLS is using pre-shared key (PSK) only.

Best,

Nikos

Re: DTLS over CoAP for the Zephyr project

Nikos Karamolegkos

Once again thank you for your detailed answer. Therefore, If I apply the "overlay-802154.conf" overlay config then I will have the 6lowpan stack?

Yes, the OpenThread is really a nice choice.

Also, I am going to check the module nrf52840_pca10056 although doesn't support hardware acceleration as I can see. I would like to find a module which can support hardware acceleration for ECC in DTLS (not only pre-shared key). For now, as I can see in the tls_credential.h file the DTLS is using pre-shared key (PSK) only.

Best,

Nikos

Re: Cmake and DTC Version issues installing Zephyr

Boie, Andrew P

First problem is west wants to build with cmake newer than 1.13.3, but
the 'default' cmake in 18.04 LTS is much older, I was able to work
around this by removing cmake, and installing with pip3.
You can also do:

$ sudo snap install cmake

This works on 18.04 LTS.

-Andrew

Re: Cmake and DTC Version issues installing Zephyr

Bolivar, Marti

"Lawrence King via Lists.Zephyrproject.Org"
<lawrence.king=irdeto.com@lists.zephyrproject.org> writes:

Today I wanted to ensure that my documentation on how to rebuild my code was complete and correct. I setup a new virtual machine with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (which is the most recent LTS version available). I then install Zephyr following (mostly) the instructions in the getting started guide, followed by pulling my code from my local git and then attempting to build.

This is where things go bad.

First problem is west wants to build with cmake newer than 1.13.3, but
the 'default' cmake in 18.04 LTS is much older, I was able to work
around this by removing cmake, and installing with pip3.
Yes, Zephyr requires a recent CMake. Since you're on Ubuntu, you might
want to check out the official cmake apt repository from KitWare, which
does support 18.04.

https://blog.kitware.com/ubuntu-cmake-repository-now-available/

The 'latest' zephyr (actually west and cmake) insists that I need a
device tree compiler with version 1.4.6, unfortunately the latest is
version on Ubunti 18.04 is 1.4.5 (see
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/device-tree-compiler) hence I
can't build. OK, to work around this I went into
zephyr/cmake/host-tools.cmake and changed the MIN_DTC_VERSION to
1.4.5. OK, I am past this...
This isn't a west or a CMake requirement, in my opinion, but is instead
a requirement based on the contents of the zephyr DTS files.

Since you're on Ubuntu, if you're building with the Zephyr SDK (which
you seem to be), you should have all the host tools you need from there.
This includes a recent enough DTC.

I would not recommend manually overriding the CMake version enforcement
checks for the dtc binary.

But things continue to be bad. The next issue I hit is cmake can't find the file zephyr/cmake/toolchain/zephyr/0.10.1/host-tools.cmake and when I look, sure enough the file isn't there. In fact the directory isn't there. There are directories for 0.10.0 and 0.9.5, but I installed zephyr tools 0.10.1 so I am not sure why the directory is not there, and more importantly why is cmake even looking there?.

Here is a 'step-by-step' of the process I followed after bringing up a
new Ubuntu 18.04 box:
This appears to be missing some steps. In particular, it doesn't show
how you got the zephyr tree itself. Given that it's in ~/zephyr instead
of something like ~/zephyrproject/zephyr, I suspect you didn't do a west
init + west update. Is that the case? If so, I'd recommend trying again,
but following the instructions in the getting started guide. Zephyr
without west is possible, but harder to do correctly.

sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install -y build-essential module-assistant
sudo apt-get install -y --no-install-recommends git ninja-build gperf \
ccache dfu-util device-tree-compiler wget \
python3-pip python3-setuptools python3-tk python3-wheel xz-utils file \
make gcc gcc-multilib
sudo apt remove cmake

sudo -H pip3 install --upgrade setuptools
sudo -H pip3 install --user cmake
wget https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/sdk-ng/releases/download/v0.10.1/zephyr-sdk-0.10.1-setup.run
chmod +x zephyr-sdk-0.10.1-setup.run
sudo ./zephyr-sdk-0.10.1-setup.run
export ZEPHYR_TOOLCHAIN_VARIANT=zephyr
export ZEPHYR_SDK_INSTALL_DIR=/opt/zephyr-sdk
# cmake must be version 1.13.3 or better!
cmake --version

sudo -H pip3 install git+https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/west
west update
Out of curiosity, why are you building from the latest west master
instead of running "pip3 install --user west" as recommended in the
getting started documentation?

At this point I checkout my code from git and try to build, but it
fails just as well on the blinky program.
Based on the above (and the below output) it seems like you might have
done "git clone https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr" or
similar. This leaves out all the other modules.

I also don't see any mention here of installing the python packages
in zephyr's scripts/requirements.txt, which is also mentioned in the
getting started guide.

Please try these steps and holler if you continue to have problems:

https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/getting_started/index.html

cd zephyr/samples/blinky
export BPOARD=nrf52840_mdk
west -v build

Here is the output:
lawrence@Bob:~/zephyr/samples/basic/blinky$ west -v build
ZEPHYR_BASE=/home/lawrence/zephyr (origin: configfile)
source directory: /home/lawrence/zephyr/samples/basic/blinky
build directory: /home/lawrence/zephyr/samples/basic/blinky/build (created)
BOARD: nrf52840_mdk (origin: env)
Running CMake: /usr/local/bin/cmake -B/home/lawrence/zephyr/samples/basic/blinky/build -S/home/lawrence/zephyr/samples/basic/blinky -GNinja -DBOARD=nrf52840_mdk
Zephyr version: 1.14.99
-- Found PythonInterp: /usr/bin/python3 (found suitable version "3.6.8", minimum required is "3.4")
-- Selected BOARD nrf52840_mdk
CMake Error at /home/lawrence/zephyr/cmake/toolchain/zephyr/host-tools.cmake:46 (include):
include could not find load file:

/home/lawrence/zephyr/cmake/toolchain/zephyr/0.10.1/host-tools.cmake
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/home/lawrence/zephyr/cmake/host-tools.cmake:3 (include)
/home/lawrence/zephyr/cmake/app/boilerplate.cmake:386 (include)
CMakeLists.txt:4 (include)

-- Found west: /usr/local/bin/west (found suitable version "0.6.0", minimum required is "0.5.6")
CMake Error at /home/lawrence/zephyr/cmake/toolchain/zephyr/generic.cmake:7 (include):
include could not find load file:

/home/lawrence/zephyr/cmake/toolchain/zephyr/0.10.1/generic.cmake
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/home/lawrence/zephyr/cmake/generic_toolchain.cmake:64 (include)
/home/lawrence/zephyr/cmake/app/boilerplate.cmake:402 (include)
CMakeLists.txt:4 (include)

-- Overlaying /home/lawrence/zephyr/dts/common/common.dts
CMake Error at /home/lawrence/zephyr/cmake/dts.cmake:126 (message):
command failed with return code: No such file or directory
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/home/lawrence/zephyr/cmake/app/boilerplate.cmake:403 (include)
CMakeLists.txt:4 (include)

ERROR: command exited with status 1: /usr/local/bin/cmake -B/home/lawrence/zephyr/samples/basic/blinky/build -S/home/lawrence/zephyr/samples/basic/blinky -GNinja -DBOARD=nrf52840_mdk
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/west/main.py", line 566, in main
args.handler(args, unknown)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/west/main.py", line 325, in ext_command_handler
command.run(args, unknown, topdir)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/west/commands/__init__.py", line 112, in run
self.do_run(args, unknown)
File "/home/lawrence/zephyr/scripts/west_commands/build.py", line 161, in do_run
self._run_cmake(board, origin, self.args.cmake_opts)
File "/home/lawrence/zephyr/scripts/west_commands/build.py", line 380, in _run_cmake
run_cmake(final_cmake_args, dry_run=self.args.dry_run)
File "/home/lawrence/zephyr/scripts/west_commands/zcmake.py", line 68, in run_cmake
raise subprocess.CalledProcessError(p.returncode, p.args)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['/usr/local/bin/cmake', '-B/home/lawrence/zephyr/samples/basic/blinky/build', '-S/home/lawrence/zephyr/samples/basic/blinky', '-GNinja', '-DBOARD=nrf52840_mdk']' returned non-zero exit status 1.
lawrence@Bob:~/zephyr/samples/basic/blinky$

Connected Transport Market Unit
https://www.Irdeto.com
+1(416)627-7302

[1]<https://careers.irdeto.com/> [2 - linkedin] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/irdeto/> [3 - instagram] <https://www.instagram.com/lifeatirdeto/?hl=en> [4 - youtube] <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwgT0-wMbEqx3qLfrPIEnRg> [6 - facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/JoinIrdeto/> [7] <https://twitter.com/Irdeto?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor>

CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. It can contain proprietary confidential information and be subject to legal privilege and/or subject to a non-disclosure Agreement. Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying is strictly prohibited. If you are not the/an addressee and are in possession of this e-mail, please delete the message and notify us immediately. Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Thank you.

Re: Cmake and DTC Version issues installing Zephyr

Lawrence King

Oops, I missed including the ‘west init’ step below, and the path to blinky was incorrect – instructions fixed, Ubuntu 18.04 still broken

Update: on a Ubuntu 19.04 VM I get a lot further, the versions of cmake, and dtc tools are acceptable. It gets stuck looking for elftools. This is addressed in an older zephyr question here: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/1392 I would have thought the latest ‘west init’ would have installed the elftools. Easily fixed, I added

sudo -H pip3 install pyelftools

then ‘west build’ passes, but ‘west flash’ fails due to missing pyocd, and the rules for the device. Again easily fixed.

sudo -H pip3 install pyocd

git clone https://github.com/mbedmicro/pyOCD.git

cd pyocd/udev

sudo cp *.rules /etc/udev/rules.d

sudo udevadm control –reload

sudo udevadm trigger

I’m not sure why the install of pyocd didn’t automatically install the udev rules…

[...]

west init

west update

At this point I checkout my code from git and try to build, but it fails just as well on the blinky program.

cd zephyr/samples/basic/blinky

[...]

1  2 - linkedin  3 - instagram  4 - youtube  6 - facebook  7

[...]

Lubos, Robert

Nikos,

CoAP over DTLS is supported, we just don’t have a straightforward sample of this functionality. For instance, the `lwm2m_client` sample uses CoAP protocol over DLTS (LWM2M uses CoAP internally). For TLS/DTLS communication we have a secure sockets API – the API is similar to the posix sockets API, therefore it’s pretty straightforward to convert socket-based samples to use DTLS instead of UDP for instance.

As for the modules supporting 802.15.4, yes frdm_kw41z is one of them. I don’t know if we provide a complete list of all boards that support 802.15.4, but for sure you can check what drivers are available to have some insight: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/tree/master/drivers/ieee802154. I personally use `nrf52840_pca10056` for 802.15.4 (I’m a Nordic employee).

As for 802.15.4 base networking, Zephyr provides its own 6lowpan stack (which can be tested with echo samples). You might also be interested in OpenThread, which we support in Zephyr – it’s a 802.15.4 based IPv6 mesh protocol. OpenThread can also be run with the echo samples (the protocol used in the sample depends on what overlay config file you select).

Regards,

Robert

Thank you for the detailed reply Robert. Thus, as I understand there is no support for CoAP over DTLS at this time. Is it possible to add this functionality in the next commits? Also, for the echo client/server I can see frdm_kw41z.conf in the folder "boards"  which makes me conclude that these samples could be used with this 802.15.4 compatible module. Am I correct? My purpose is to find a 802.15.4 module (i.e. support of O-QPSK with the 6lowpan stack) in order to use CoAP over DTLS and zephyr RTOS

Re: DTLS over CoAP for the Zephyr project

Nikos Karamolegkos

Thank you for the detailed reply Robert. Thus, as I understand there is no support for CoAP over DTLS at this time. Is it possible to add this functionality in the next commits? Also, for the echo client/server I can see frdm_kw41z.conf in the folder "boards"  which makes me conclude that these samples could be used with this 802.15.4 compatible module. Am I correct? My purpose is to find a 802.15.4 module (i.e. support of O-QPSK with the 6lowpan stack) in order to use CoAP over DTLS and zephyr RTOS

Re: DTLS over CoAP for the Zephyr project

Lubos, Robert

Hi Nikos,

The samples you mention were likely removed/modified during our transition from net_app API to socket API. CoAP samples we have now does not seem to feature DTLS at this point.

There are a few samples featuring TLS/DTLS communication. The staple examples would be `echo_client`/`echo_server` samples that can communicate with each other over TLS/DTLS. You could also check `mqtt_publisher`, `http_get`, `lwm2m_client` or `google_iot_mqtt`. Depending on what application protocol is used, they can run over TLS or DTLS.

Typically, to enable TLS in these samples, you need to apply the `overlay-tls.conf` configuration provided with a sample. You can do it  by specifying `-DOVERLAY_CONFIG=overlay-tls.conf` option when you generate a project.

Regards,

Robert