From: users@... <users@...> On Behalf Of Megan Bredes via Lists.Zephyrproject.Org
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2019 3:14 PM
To: users@...
Cc: users@...
Subject: [Zephyr-users] NXP FRDM-KW41Z fails to initialize BLE #ble #nxp

I have been trying to get zephyr working on the NXP FRDM-KW41Z board and have been having some trouble with it. It fails right when it attempts to call bt_enable() at the beginning of main and gives me the error "No HCI driver registered". I've tried googling this error message but all that seems to come up is something from 2 years ago that seems to have been specific to arduino board and also seems to have already been fixed. I tried running non BLE demos on the board and those seem to work fine, it seems to be that the ble initialization is the only problem. Does anyone know what might cause this or how to solve this problem?

Thanks,
Megan

NXP FRDM-KW41Z fails to initialize BLE #ble #nxp

Megan Bredes

I have been trying to get zephyr working on the NXP FRDM-KW41Z board and have been having some trouble with it. It fails right when it attempts to call bt_enable() at the beginning of main and gives me the error "No HCI driver registered". I've tried googling this error message but all that seems to come up is something from 2 years ago that seems to have been specific to arduino board and also seems to have already been fixed. I tried running non BLE demos on the board and those seem to work fine, it seems to be that the ble initialization is the only problem. Does anyone know what might cause this or how to solve this problem?

Thanks,
Megan

Re: DTC version unsupported error #west

Lawrence King

Hi Eric:

You need to download and install a newer version of the Device Tree Compiler (dtc). Here is the easiest way I have found to do this:

wget http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/main/d/device-tree-compiler/device-tree-compiler_1.4.7-1_amd64.deb

sudo apt install ./device-tree-compiler_1.4.7-1_amd64.deb

From: Lawrence King <lawrence.king@irdeto.com>
Thanks to all for the work arounds. I had actually done all of these
work arounds on my Ubuntu 18.04 VM.
Those are not really workarounds, they are recommended options to get the required set of tools installed in Linux distributions that do not bundle the latest versions of packages.

What I am really getting at is the 'getting started' instructions on the
zephyr project site do not work for an 18.04 system, we need to update
the getting started so that a new user either starts with an 19.04
system, amd/or has the workarounds to get the newer DTC and CMake
versions. Otherwise even the Blinky program won't compile.
As mentioned before in this thread, the Getting Started guide does work with Ubuntu 18.04, as long as:

1. You follow the provided instructions to get a recent version of CMake (see https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/getting_started/installation_linux.html#install-requirements-and-dependencies, paragraph starting with " CMake version 3.13.1 or higher is required.").

2. You install the Zephyr SDK (which is recommended by the user guide).

Please feel free to comment on the Pull Request I sent to improve the current documentation, all feedback welcome.

It is an important documentation step that you actually try your
instructions on a 'virgin' system. All of us who have been doing
development for a long time have incrementally updated our systems and
we never follow the instructions on the getting started.

Behalf Of Boie, Andrew P via Lists.Zephyrproject.Org
First problem is west wants to build with cmake newer than 1.13.3,
but the 'default' cmake in 18.04 LTS is much older, I was able to
work around this by removing cmake, and installing with pip3.
You can also do:

$ sudo snap install cmake

This works on 18.04 LTS.
Thanks Andrew!

I've posted this PR:

-Andrew

From: users@lists.zephyrproject.org <users@lists.zephyrproject.org> On
Behalf Of Boie, Andrew P via Lists.Zephyrproject.Org
First problem is west wants to build with cmake newer than 1.13.3,
but the 'default' cmake in 18.04 LTS is much older, I was able to
work around this by removing cmake, and installing with pip3.
You can also do:

$ sudo snap install cmake

This works on 18.04 LTS.
Thanks Andrew!

I've posted this PR:

-Andrew

Re: DTLS over CoAP for the Zephyr project

Lubos, Robert

Yes, applying `overlay-802154.conf` will make the sample use Zephyr’s native 6lowpan stack. Applying ` overlay-ot.conf` will make the sample use OpenThread, which implements it’s own 6lowpan layer. You can also combine two overlays – `-DOVERLAY_CONFIG=”overlay-802154.conf overlay-tls.conf”` to run DTLS over 802.15.4 6lowpan. Combining DTLS with OpenThread is not supported at this moment.

Certificates are also supported with DTLS sockets – echo_client/echo_server use them to secure DTLS connection. The lwm2m_client though indeed uses PSK.

nrf52840_pca10056 has a hardware crypto acceleration module – CryptoCell 310, which is capable of accelerating ECC operations (we use it for example in “vanilla” OpenThread repository). We have some support for it in our Zephyr based SDK (https://github.com/NordicPlayground/fw-nrfconnect-nrf/), sadly we haven’t integrated and tested it with networking samples yet.

Regards,

Robert

Once again thank you for your detailed answer. Therefore, If I apply the "overlay-802154.conf" overlay config then I will have the 6lowpan stack?

Yes, the OpenThread is really a nice choice.

Also, I am going to check the module nrf52840_pca10056 although doesn't support hardware acceleration as I can see. I would like to find a module which can support hardware acceleration for ECC in DTLS (not only pre-shared key). For now, as I can see in the tls_credential.h file the DTLS is using pre-shared key (PSK) only.

Best,

Nikos

Re: DTLS over CoAP for the Zephyr project

Nikos Karamolegkos

Once again thank you for your detailed answer. Therefore, If I apply the "overlay-802154.conf" overlay config then I will have the 6lowpan stack?

Yes, the OpenThread is really a nice choice.

Also, I am going to check the module nrf52840_pca10056 although doesn't support hardware acceleration as I can see. I would like to find a module which can support hardware acceleration for ECC in DTLS (not only pre-shared key). For now, as I can see in the tls_credential.h file the DTLS is using pre-shared key (PSK) only.

Best,

Nikos

Re: Cmake and DTC Version issues installing Zephyr

Boie, Andrew P

First problem is west wants to build with cmake newer than 1.13.3, but
the 'default' cmake in 18.04 LTS is much older, I was able to work
around this by removing cmake, and installing with pip3.
You can also do:

$ sudo snap install cmake

This works on 18.04 LTS.

-Andrew

Re: Cmake and DTC Version issues installing Zephyr

Bolivar, Marti

[...]

export ZEPHYR_SDK_INSTALL_DIR=/opt/zephyr-sdk
[...]

Oops, I missed including the ‘west init’ step below, and the path to blinky was incorrect – instructions fixed, Ubuntu 18.04 still broken

Update: on a Ubuntu 19.04 VM I get a lot further, the versions of cmake, and dtc tools are acceptable. It gets stuck looking for elftools. This is addressed in an older zephyr question here: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/1392 I would have thought the latest ‘west init’ would have installed the elftools. Easily fixed, I added

sudo -H pip3 install pyelftools

then ‘west build’ passes, but ‘west flash’ fails due to missing pyocd, and the rules for the device. Again easily fixed.

sudo -H pip3 install pyocd

git clone https://github.com/mbedmicro/pyOCD.git

cd pyocd/udev

sudo cp *.rules /etc/udev/rules.d

sudo udevadm control –reload

sudo udevadm trigger

I’m not sure why the install of pyocd didn’t automatically install the udev rules…

[...]

west init

west update

At this point I checkout my code from git and try to build, but it fails just as well on the blinky program.

cd zephyr/samples/basic/blinky

[...]

1  2 - linkedin  3 - instagram  4 - youtube  6 - facebook  7

[...]

Nikos,

CoAP over DTLS is supported, we just don’t have a straightforward sample of this functionality. For instance, the `lwm2m_client` sample uses CoAP protocol over DLTS (LWM2M uses CoAP internally). For TLS/DTLS communication we have a secure sockets API – the API is similar to the posix sockets API, therefore it’s pretty straightforward to convert socket-based samples to use DTLS instead of UDP for instance.

As for the modules supporting 802.15.4, yes frdm_kw41z is one of them. I don’t know if we provide a complete list of all boards that support 802.15.4, but for sure you can check what drivers are available to have some insight: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/tree/master/drivers/ieee802154. I personally use `nrf52840_pca10056` for 802.15.4 (I’m a Nordic employee).

As for 802.15.4 base networking, Zephyr provides its own 6lowpan stack (which can be tested with echo samples). You might also be interested in OpenThread, which we support in Zephyr – it’s a 802.15.4 based IPv6 mesh protocol. OpenThread can also be run with the echo samples (the protocol used in the sample depends on what overlay config file you select).

Regards,

Robert

Thank you for the detailed reply Robert. Thus, as I understand there is no support for CoAP over DTLS at this time. Is it possible to add this functionality in the next commits? Also, for the echo client/server I can see frdm_kw41z.conf in the folder "boards"  which makes me conclude that these samples could be used with this 802.15.4 compatible module. Am I correct? My purpose is to find a 802.15.4 module (i.e. support of O-QPSK with the 6lowpan stack) in order to use CoAP over DTLS and zephyr RTOS

Re: DTLS over CoAP for the Zephyr project

Nikos Karamolegkos

Thank you for the detailed reply Robert. Thus, as I understand there is no support for CoAP over DTLS at this time. Is it possible to add this functionality in the next commits? Also, for the echo client/server I can see frdm_kw41z.conf in the folder "boards"  which makes me conclude that these samples could be used with this 802.15.4 compatible module. Am I correct? My purpose is to find a 802.15.4 module (i.e. support of O-QPSK with the 6lowpan stack) in order to use CoAP over DTLS and zephyr RTOS

1341 - 1360 of 2946