Date

Re: IDE for app development

Kevin Townsend

For debugging I generally use Ozone from Segger which is free depending on the JLink model you have. You just need to point it to the zephy.elf file.

Kevin

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 at 05:30, Marco Tozzini <lists@...> wrote:
Hi,

Eclipse IDE is used as reference example to debug apps in Zephyr
What are the recommended IDE?

Thanks,
Marco

IDE for app development

Marco Tozzini

Hi,

Eclipse IDE is used as reference example to debug apps in Zephyr
What are the recommended IDE?

Thanks,
Marco

West 0.6.0 is released, and required

West 0.6.0 has been released and is now the minimum version which will be supported in Zephyr mainline (and thus for the 2.0 release).

To upgrade on Linux:

pip3 install --upgrade --user west

macOS and Windows:

pip3 install --upgrade west

Release notes are part of the documentation and are up on the latest docs pages:

https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/guides/west/release-notes.html

West flashing very large images to nrf52840

Lawrence King

My code has finally grown over 512k. I am programming the nrf52840_mdk board:

              BOARD=nrf52840_mdk

When attempting to program the nrf52840 the flash operation fails because the -t parameter emitted by west is incorrect. West flash does the following:

runners.pyocd: pyocd flash -e sector -a 0xc000 -t nrf52 <path>/build/zephyr/zephyr.bin

as you can see west sets “-t nrf52”, this works great as long as you don’t overrun the 512k of code (the nrf52832 limit) into the flash, beyond which pyocd (or nrfjprog) will complain that there is too much code.

West should set the -t parameter to “-t nrf52840” for nrf52840 boards.

Current workaround is to manually run pyocd or nrfjprog with the correct -t parameter.

Connected Transport Market Unit

https://www.Irdeto.com

+1(416)627-7302

1  2 - linkedin  3 - instagram  4 - youtube  6 - facebook  7

CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. It can contain proprietary confidential information and be subject to legal privilege and/or subject to a non-disclosure Agreement. Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying is strictly prohibited. If you are not the/an addressee and are in possession of this e-mail, please delete the message and notify us immediately. Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Thank you.

West flash annoyance (signed images)

Lawrence King

It took me a while to figure out my problem with west flash.

After building regular zephyr app,  you can simply call ‘west flash’, and west happily does the right thing, it gets the image passes it to the runner, the file gets flashed onto the board and it runs. All is good.

Then I started to build files to run under MCUBoot. West happily builds the image, and west happily signs the image when you run the right command and give it a path to the key:

$ west sign -t imgtool -- --key ~/rc-demo/mcuboot/mykey-rsa-2048.pem --version 1.2

Generating: /home/lawrence/zephyrproject/zephyr/samples/subsys/mgmt/mcumgr/smp_svr/build/zephyr/zephyr.signed.bin

Generating: /home/lawrence/zephyrproject/zephyr/samples/subsys/mgmt/mcumgr/smp_svr/build/zephyr/zephyr.signed.hex

West starts with the image file, and generates two new signed files, just as one would expect

Then things go bad(ish). I politely asked west to flash the signed file

              $ west flash --hex-file zephyr.signed.hex

-- west flash: rebuilding

ninja: no work to do.

-- west flash: using runner pyocd

-- runners.pyocd: Flashing Target Device

[====================] 100%

0018045:INFO:loader:Erased 131072 bytes (32 sectors), programmed 131072 bytes (32 pages), skipped 0 bytes (0 pages) at 7.46 kB/s

You would expect west to go fetch the signed file and pass it to the runner, and it sure looks like it did, there is even enough of an image signature that mcu boot thinks there is an image in the primary slot. But mcuboot says the image is not valid.

***** Booting Zephyr OS build zephyr-v1.14.0-2977-g8622c3415d2f *****

[00:00:00.004,974] <inf> mcuboot: Starting bootloader

[00:00:00.011,444] <inf> mcuboot: Primary image: magic=unset, swap_type=0x1, copy_done=0x3, image_ok=0x3

[00:00:00.021,392] <inf> mcuboot: Scratch: magic=unset, swap_type=0x1, copy_done=0x3, image_ok=0x3

[00:00:00.030,792] <inf> mcuboot: Boot source: primary slot

[00:00:00.039,855] <inf> mcuboot: Swap type: none

[00:00:00.045,013] <err> mcuboot: Image in the primary slot is not valid!

[00:00:00.052,490] <err> mcuboot: Unable to find bootable image

It took me the longest time to figure out that west did not do what I had expected:

$ west --verbose flash --hex-file zephyr.signed.hex

ZEPHYR_BASE=/home/lawrence/zephyrproject/zephyr (origin: env)

-- west flash: rebuilding

ninja: no work to do.

-- west flash: using runner pyocd

-- runners.pyocd: Flashing Target Device

runners.pyocd: pyocd flash -e sector -a 0xc000 -t nrf52 /home/lawrence/zephyrproject/zephyr/samples/subsys/mgmt/mcumgr/smp_svr/build/zephyr/zephyr.bin

[====================] 100%

Why would west send the unsigned file? Why would west send a bin file when I requested a hex file. At the very least west could complain that it couldn’t find the hex file. Instead west silently does the wrong thing.

The work around is:

$ west --verbose flash --hex-file build/zephyr/zephyr.signed.hex

ZEPHYR_BASE=/home/lawrence/zephyrproject/zephyr (origin: env)

-- west flash: rebuilding

ninja: no work to do.

-- west flash: using runner pyocd

-- runners.pyocd: Flashing Target Device

runners.pyocd: pyocd flash -e sector -a 0xc000 -t nrf52 build/zephyr/zephyr.signed.hex

[====================] 100%

0017210:INFO:loader:Erased 4096 bytes (1 sector), programmed 4096 bytes (1 page), skipped 126976 bytes (31 pages) at 7.92 kB/s

As you can see, the runner only had to reprogram the signature in the last page. And mcuboot happily started the image which it is running as expected.

In an ideal world west should know that I needed to sign the image (based on the setting “CONFIG_BOOTLOADER_MCUBOOT=y” in the prj.conf file), and should by default send the signed image to the runner. Of course west will need to know where the keys are, and determine if the code should go into the primary or secondary slot.

Connected Transport Market Unit

https://www.Irdeto.com

+1(416)627-7302

1  2 - linkedin  3 - instagram  4 - youtube  6 - facebook  7

CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. It can contain proprietary confidential information and be subject to legal privilege and/or subject to a non-disclosure Agreement. Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying is strictly prohibited. If you are not the/an addressee and are in possession of this e-mail, please delete the message and notify us immediately. Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Thank you.

Re: Cmake and DTC Version issues installing Zephyr

Lawrence King

Dear All:

Charles has updated the instructions on the getting started guide. I have followed these instructions carefully on a 'new' Virtual Machine'. The instructions work on Ubuntu 18.04 and 19.04 as written, at the time I tested them (Around July 31st). Of course we are in an ever evolving world, Lunix, and Zephyr are always changing so just because the instructions are currently working doesn't mean they will always work, but at this time I am satisfied that they do work as written.

Thanks to Charles for the updates to the getting started guide.