Date

Re: Recursive checkout with West

Bolivar, Marti

"barry.solomon via Lists.Zephyrproject.Org"
<barry.solomon=dexcom.com@lists.zephyrproject.org> writes:

In case this is useful to anyone. I am doing a recursive checkout currently with a little bit of a hack. So I have a west file that just includes my project and the nordic NCS release. The NCS release has its own west.yml file that specifies the version of zephyr, mcuboot, and many more. To do the recursive part, I made a custom west command that is part of my project. So first I do init. This loads my project and NCS repo that contains the other west.yml file. The I run my west custom_update command instead of west update. My command modifies the config file .west to point to the NCS repo, and then the executes west update, which pulls in all the source specified by the other west.yml file. If you wanted to do multiple levels or recursion you could create multiple scripts or just make one complicated script.
Sounds like a fun hack. I wouldn't have thought of doing it like that!

I tried to use pyyaml includes (https://stackoverflow.com/a/9577670),
but couldn't get it to work.

Marti

Re: Bluetooth mcumgr SMP DFU speed #ble

nick.ward@...

Hi Carles,

Thanks for the link, I experimented with the settings provided and I maybe saw a small increase (~0.2KiB/s) but not major boost.

My client test devices have been:

- a 4.0 Bluetooth dongle and Ubuntu using the newtmgr (go version) -> 5KiB/s
- Android Pixel 3 XL with Bluetooth 5.0 and nRF Connect app -> 5KiB/s
- Cheap Android 8.1.0 tablet with Bluetooth 4.2 and nRF Connect app -> 1.25KiB/s

I was talking with Vinayak and he was saying the DFU flash writes will cause the CPU to halt (and BLE radio will not be in use) so this will likely reduce throughput somewhat.
I'm trying to send him a sniffer capture of the DFU transfer but I don't have a 2Mbit PHY sniffer as yet.

My results also correlate with this github issue: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/19244#issuecomment-534424966

Also I found this link with similar results for the Nordic SDK so it might be the flash writing issue:
https://devzone.nordicsemi.com/f/nordic-q-a/29858/transfer-speed-secure-dfu-sdk14

If I get a chance I'll try DFU with an external flash to compare.

Nick

Re: more documentation needed

Bolivar, Marti

Hi Stefan,

"stefan.hristozov via Lists.Zephyrproject.Org"
<stefan.hristozov=aisec.fraunhofer.de@lists.zephyrproject.org> writes:

3) West, Kconfig and Cmake: I want to understand how west uses the Kconfig and Cmake files to build an executable image.
If you want to see what 'west build' is doing, just run it in verbose
mode with -v, like this:

$ west -v build -b reel_board samples/hello_world

This prints every cmake command line before it is run (search for
"Running CMake:" in the command output), and also enables verbose
compiler command lines.

You can also run 'west -v flash', 'west -v debug', etc. to see the
commands they run.

That should be all you want to know and more :). Please let me know if
those commands' output doesn't contain what you're looking for.

Re: more documentation needed

Jukka Rissanen

Hi Stefan,

On Tue, 2019-10-15 at 01:26 -0700, stefan.hristozov@aisec.fraunhofer.de
wrote:
Dear Zephyr community,

More specific example: Currently I want to use the Ethernet
peripheral of an esp32 chip (board ESP32-POE [2]). Should I write an
network interface or device driver? How to add support for that?
You need to create a device driver for this chip. By doing that, the
network interface is instantiated automatically when the device runs.

I recommend that you look how other Ethernet device drivers in
drivers/ethernet directory are implemented.

[2]:
https://www.olimex.com/Products/IoT/ESP32/ESP32-POE/open-source-hardware

Cheers,
Jukka

This week we will look at:

- V4Z: Update on the state of the Pull Request, should we merge it?

- GPIO: Update on progress
- Look at the PRs with driver conversion (https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/18530)
- Check the timeline
- Any additional outstanding PRs to topic-gpio

Re: Bluetooth mcumgr SMP DFU speed #ble

Carles Cufi

Hi Nick,

What is your client device? i.e. the device sending the image. If it’s a Linux box running mcumgr there might be limitations there, but if it’s a mobile phone then you should definitely get faster speeds. Have you tried with different client devices?

Finally, please take a look at this configuration file that maximizes throughput:

https://github.com/NordicPlayground/fw-nrfconnect-nrf/blob/master/samples/bluetooth/throughput/prj.conf#L28

Carles