Date

Re: Porting a board - running twister #nrf5 #test #nrf52 #nrf53

Kumar Gala

On Mar 25, 2021, at 6:15 PM, Bob Recny <bob@kittycentral.us> wrote:

Greetings,

I'm preparing some PRs to add our u-blox nRF52 and nRF53 EVK boards to Zephyr. I'd like to run twister locally and seem to have things working. I'm running out of drive space due to the size of the twister output.
What's the best way to either limit what gets tested (i.e. don't need other than nRF5x), or what size drive should I allocate to my VM?

Thanks,
Bob Recny
brec-u-blox
How are you invoking twister? You can do the following for new boards:

./scripts/twister -p <NEW BOARD NAME>

That will limit twister to just build tests for the new board you are adding.

You can also add `-M` to help reduce disk usage

- k

Porting a board - running twister #nrf5 #test #nrf52 #nrf53

Bob Recny <bob@...>

Greetings,

I'm preparing some PRs to add our u-blox nRF52 and nRF53 EVK boards to Zephyr. I'd like to run twister locally and seem to have things working. I'm running out of drive space due to the size of the twister output.
What's the best way to either limit what gets tested (i.e. don't need other than nRF5x), or what size drive should I allocate to my VM?

Thanks,
Bob Recny
brec-u-blox

Re: Compiling windbond spi flash driver

Bolivar, Marti

Hi Raz,

I'm curious what version of Zephyr you're running. Since your error
message mentions devicetree_fixups.h, it seems it might be on the older
side.

The DT "fixups" feature was deprecated in Zephyr 2.3 when the current
devicetree.h API was first introduced. If you're using that version or
later, you should probably move away from using fixup files.

The build system will warn you about this deprecation if it discovers
any DTS fixup files.

For documentation on the jedec,spi-nor compatible in Kumar's example as
it is used in the current Zephyr tree, see its page in the bindings index:

https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/reference/devicetree/bindings/jedec%2Cspi-nor-spi.html#jedec-spi-nor-spi

If you're using fixup files because you are on Zephyr v1.14 LTS, you
will need to check the binding YAML file in
dts/bindings/mtd/jedec,spi-nor.yaml directly, as the generated bindings
index pages are not available in the LTS docs:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/blob/v1.14.2/dts/bindings/mtd/jedec%2Cspi-nor.yaml

Note the LTS YAML bindings syntax is different than what you'll see v2.x
bindings.

"Kumar Gala via lists.zephyrproject.org"
<kumar.gala=linaro.org@lists.zephyrproject.org> writes:

Here’s an example:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/blob/63ca48a7a9b8e9a85d9c18c5dbaf894968bbc35d/boards/arm/black_f407ve/black_f407ve.dts#L101

- k

On Mar 24, 2021, at 11:27 AM, Raz <raziebe@gmail.com> wrote:

how do i describe winbond in the device tree ? i have the spi addresses but what about the flash ? is there an example ?

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 5:56 PM Kumar Gala <kumar.gala@linaro.org> wrote:
Is the device described in the devicetree for the board you are building for?

- k

On Mar 24, 2021, at 10:52 AM, Raz <raziebe@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello
I am fail to compile winbond spi flash driver (SPI_FLASH_W25QXXD)I fail to compile:
I get errors like :
zephyr/include/generated/devicetree_fixups.h:205:32: error: 'DT_ST_STM32_SPI_FIFO_40003C00_BASE_ADDRESS' undeclared here (not in a f

Am I missing a step ?

Kind regards
Raz

Re: Message Queues

Olga Syrbachova <syrba4eva28@...>

I have found msgdev.c under samples/scheduler/kernel/metairq_dispatch/src. And according to this example I'm quite sure my code is right. I have updated it here https://github.com/syrba4eva/Zephyr-RTOS/blob/main/main.c

But I still have some errors when I try

ol@ol-H270M-DS3H:~/zephyrproject/zephyr$ west build -b qemu_x86 samples/synchronization --pristine
expected declaration specifiers or '...' before '&' token
   40 | k_msgq_init(&my_msgq, my_msgq_buffer, sizeof(struct data_item_type), 10);
      |             ^
/home/ol/zephyrproject/zephyr/samples/synchronization/src/main.c:40:23: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'my_msgq_buffer'
   40 | k_msgq_init(&my_msgq, my_msgq_buffer, sizeof(struct data_item_type), 10);
      |                       ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/ol/zephyrproject/zephyr/samples/synchronization/src/main.c:40:39: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'sizeof'
   40 | k_msgq_init(&my_msgq, my_msgq_buffer, sizeof(struct data_item_type), 10);
      |                                       ^~~~~~
/home/ol/zephyrproject/zephyr/samples/synchronization/src/main.c:40:70: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before numeric constant
   40 | k_msgq_init(&my_msgq, my_msgq_buffer, sizeof(struct data_item_type), 10);
      |                                                                      ^~
/home/ol/zephyrproject/zephyr/samples/synchronization/src/main.c: In function 'threadA':
/home/ol/zephyrproject/zephyr/samples/synchronization/src/main.c:62:21: error: storage size of 'data' isn't known
   62 |  struct data_item_t data;
      |                     ^~~~
/home/ol/zephyrproject/zephyr/samples/synchronization/src/main.c:62:21: warning: unused variable 'data' [-Wunused-variable]
[54/118] Building C object zephyr/arch.../arch__x86__core.dir/ia32/thread.c.obj
FATAL ERROR: command exited with status 1: /usr/bin/cmake --build /home/ol/zephyrproject/zephyr/build

And I still have this question: is it the right way to build my own application by modifying a "synchronization" sample? I'm doing it right under $HOME/zephyrproject/zephyr/samples/synchronization/src. Or should I create a new file in another directory?

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 at 19:45, Olga Syrbachova <syrba4eva28@...> wrote:
Thank you very much for your reply! Unfortunately I can't find samples/scheduler/metairq_dispatch neither on the website of zephyrproject nor on  GIT. Could you please tell me where I can find  msgdev.c?

And also I would like to know if it's the right way to build my own application by modifying a "synchronization" sample? I'm doing it right under $HOME/zephyrproject/zephyr/samples/synchronization/src. Or should I create a new file in another directory?

Many thanks in advance!

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 at 07:52, Kim Boendergaard <kim.boendergaard@...> wrote:

Consider having a look at msgdev.c in samples/scheduler/metairq_dispatch

I think that clearly answer your questions

Best regards,

Kim Bøndergaard | Software Tech Lead, Esco Medical