Date

Zephyr running on Arm Cortex-M7 within Intel PSE (Elkharts Lake)

Weiberg, Bernd

Dear Zyphyr Users,

first of all: I'm a completely newbie regarding zephyr!

Currently i'm trying to get it run on a Arm Cortex-M7 core, which is part of the Intel Programmable Service Engine (PSE) of the Elkhart Lake Processor (Intel Atom Processor x6212RE).

The Processor is part of a COM Express mini Type 10 Module from Kontron (COMe-mEL10) which mounted on Kontrons Evaluation Carrier Board ADANL211.

I'm going to use a Debian 11 Virtual Machine for the development process.

I followed the instructions from https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/getting_started to setup the development environment --> Everything is fine so far.

I also managed to build the hello_world example for the ehl_crb board and started the zephyr.efi from the EFI shell.

Now let's get over to my (stupid) question:

Am i right, that in my case the hello_world example runs on the major CPU (the Elkhart Lake)?

Because the example was build for an x86 architecture and not for arm.

Which build target do I have to use to build this example for the Intel PSE?

And how do i flash it?

Does anyone already got experience with Intels programmable service engine and zephyr?

Which literature would be a nice starting point for this?

Cheers!

Re: [Zephyr-devel] TinyCrypt end of life - Help needed

Flavio Ceolin

Send it to users list as well.

Hello,

Recently Intel notify us about TinyCrypt end of life because Zephyr is
one major project still using it.

In order to respond it properly, the Zephyr PSIRT team needs to
understand how TinyCrypt is currently used on Zephyr. An
initial research shows that only the Bluetooth subsystem depends
(exclusively) on this library for hashing and elliptic curves.

We need the community feedback to know which other places are using
TinyCrypt, which features are being used and finally what is the most
constraint platform currently supported that is using TinyCrypt.

Based on the answers we will come up with some proposals to mitigate
this problem.

Regards,
Flavio Ceolin

Re: nRF5340 GPIO FEM control (generic) #nrf53

Bob Recny

I'm attempting to use mainline Zephyr in order to submit a new board that will include a GPIO controlled FEM. I am not using NCS at the moment.

Bob

I got a private reply from Rodrigo by mistake and was asked to repost it to the group:

From Rodrigo:

Hi Bob, I've answer your question sending the e-mail only to you, sorry. If you could repost my first answer, to the group so others can see, please.

Thanks! Rodrigo

And his original reply to me:

Hi Bob,

Are you using only zephyr or nRF Connect SDK? I was searching for this last week, but for nrf52840 and Thread. This was the answer from Nordic: https://devzone.nordicsemi.com/f/nordic-q-a/79879/mpsl-opensource-on-zephyr

It seems that they closed the previous "open" source of FEM control functions for Thread, not sure if it's the case for Bluetooth. It is available as a binary on nRF Connect SDK though, but it was indeed available on zephyr v2.4.0. Maybe someone from Nordic sees this and helps us. If you find anything, please share.

Thanks, Rodrigo

nRF5340 GPIO FEM control (generic) #nrf53

Bob Recny

Greetings,

I see that a new feature of Zephyr 2.6.0 is: "Added GPIO PA/LNA support for the Nordic nRF53x SoC series." (under "Bluetooth LE split software Controller" in the release notes).

Are there any samples or howtos to show how this is done for a generic FEM with 2 pin control?

Thanks, Bob

Re: System Level Testing for Zephyr Adopters

Yuval Peress

Hi, I'm working on testing efforts on Chromium. Our current approach is to write emulators of all the chips (https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromiumos/platform/ec/+/HEAD:zephyr/emul/). We'll be upstreaming the emulators when they're stable.

The idea is to run a full board using emulators and then (eventually) simulate host commands and GPIOs in our tests. We'll be sending patches to support this effort upstream. As an example I have https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/37192 pending for the testing framework to enable scripting the test for our system level tests. The idea is that each test suite can register itself along with a filter. The test_main() function then simply sets the system's state and runs all tests (effectively scripting the test). At the end, we check that all the tests ran at least once.

בתאריך יום ב׳, 27 בספט׳ 2021, 8:01, מאת Pandey, Mithun ‏<mithunpandey@...>:

HI all,

Sending this mail again to Zephyr-users email, in hope it will reach the larger audience

Thanks and Regards

Mithun

For the Teams adopting zephyr, what the adopting teams do for automation at system level when everything is put together , Is there any recommendations from the Zephyr Community, or form any of the existing adopters.

Thanks and Regards

Mithun

Re: System Level Testing for Zephyr Adopters

Pandey, Mithun

From: <users@...> on behalf of "Bisiorowski, Rafal" <rafal.bisiorowski@...>
Date: Monday, September 27, 2021 at 9:30 AM
To: "Zephyr-users@..." <Zephyr-users@...>
Subject: [Zephyr-users] Control-flow Enforcement Technology (CET) support

Hi,

I’ve tried building zephyr app with GCC compiler flags to enable CET feature (Control-flow Enforcement Technology) “-fcf-protection=full -z cet-report=error”. Unfortunately there’s “error: missing IBT and SHSTK properties”. I’m not yet fully familiar with what is missing, but by checking zephyr’s code there are no ENDBR instructions in assembly code.

Is there any plan to add support for Control-flow Enforcement Technology (CET) in Zephyr?

Is there possibility to add this support on my own or is there a reason why CET shouldn’t be ever supported by Zephyr?

Thanks,

Rafal

Intel Technology Poland sp. z o.o.
ul. Słowackiego 173 | 80-298 Gdańsk | Sąd Rejonowy Gdańsk Północ | VII Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego - KRS 101882 | NIP 957-07-52-316 | Kapitał zakładowy 200.000 PLN.

Ta wiadomość wraz z załącznikami jest przeznaczona dla określonego adresata i może zawierać informacje poufne. W razie przypadkowego otrzymania tej wiadomości, prosimy o powiadomienie nadawcy oraz trwałe jej usunięcie; jakiekolwiek przeglądanie lub rozpowszechnianie jest zabronione.
This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies; any review or distribution by others is strictly prohibited.

Control-flow Enforcement Technology (CET) support

Bisiorowski, Rafal

[...]

bme680 sample: I2C address in overlay file (nrf52840) does not match described wiring #i2c #nrf52840 #sensor

chrisduf

Running the BME680 sample (zephyr/samples/sensor/bme680) on the nrf52840-dk fails and printk "Device (nil) name is".

My BME680 is already packaged (DFRobot SEN0248), and provides connections only for the SCL and SDA lines, not SDO which the package configures itself when in I2C mode (it can also work with SPI).

Reading the BME680 data sheet, I've found that this SDO line will actually set the slave address to:
- 0x76 when connected to GND
- 0x77 when connected to VDDIO
- undefined when floating

Both my package and the wiring described by the sample's README connect SDO to VDDIO, while the nrf52840's overlay file assumes the BME680 I2C address is 0x76.

If I edit nrf52840dk_nrf52840.overlay to probe for address 0x77 instead of 0x76, the sample works fine.

The Adafruit overlay is correct (probes for 0x77).

chris.

Thread safety with multiple shell instances

mbarrett@...

Hello,

I'm planning to use two simultaneous shell instances each with a different backend in my application. I have a couple of questions regarding this.
1. Is this possible?
2. Do I need to use a mutex for commands that write to a resource or variable?

Thanks!
Marshal

Re: Adding HAL for new NXP Kinetis device K32L2B31

Why don’t you send a Pull Request to the hal_nxp repository to add the HAL you need?