Date

Re: Securing BLE device Services & Characteristics from unauthorized user

Luiz Augusto von Dentz

Hi Vikrant,

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 2:34 PM, Vikrant More <vikrant8051@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello World !!

Suppose there is BLE device with following custom characteristics -
1. main
2. enc_text
3. plain_text
4. aes_key

"enc_text" characteristic receives 16 bytes of encrypted string.

"plain_text" characteristic receives 16 bytes of plain string.

"aes_key" characteristic receives 16 bytes of AES key.

int bt_encrypt_le(constu8_t key[16], const8_t plaintext[16], u8_t
enc_data[16])

Using this function I'm planning to encrypting received plain string & gonna
compare its output with
received encrypted string.

If both matches, then only "main" characteristic accepts data from client.

But what type of AES encryption is used behind this bt_encrypt_le( ) ?

How to disconnect BLE connection from BLE Device side ?

I wanna show "aes_key" characteristic only after device is in factory-reset
mode.
Once it receive AES key from user, it should disappear. How to do that ?
You will have to add a service containing the characteristic which
probably comes from a different application than the 'normal' mode,
now regarding the AES key exchange I don't think that would be secure
enough so you might as well just add a characteristic that requires
encryption and then once the app attempts to write triggers pairing,
if that manages to create a valid key and write is complete, it can be
any value really since it will be protected by having to pair, then
you can restart on normal mode.

Thanks !!

Luiz Augusto von Dentz

Porting the kernel to happy gecko

Cosmin Mihai

In order to make the microkernel work on Happy Gecko do I have to replicate the zephyr/ext/hal/silabs/gecko/Device/SiliconLabs/EFM32WG folder to zephyr/ext/hal/silabs/gecko/Device/SiliconLabs/EFM32HG and configure every define in every .h file? It looks like a lot of configuration to do and it looks like It is hard to debug in case of a mistake.

[ #BluetoothMesh ] possible Bug .. without assigning subscription address to Model, it is reacting to subscription address assign to other Model #bluetoothmesh

Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...>

Hello World !!

This is observation based on following configuration done by #meshctl.
Two nRF52840-PDK boards has been used for it.

For Board 1. after provisioning, I used following commands to configure it

appkey-add 1

bind 0 1 1000
bind 0 1 1001
bind 0 1 1002
bind 0 1 1003

sub-add 0100 c000 1000
pub-set 0100 c000 1 0 5 1001

sub-add 0100 c000 1002
pub-set 0100 c000 1 0 5 1003

For Board 2. after provisioning, I used following commands to configure it

appkey-add 1

bind 0 1 1000
bind 0 1 1001
bind 0 1 1002
bind 0 1 1003

sub-add 0101 c000 1000
pub-set 0101 c000 1 0 5 1001

In case of Board 2, I didn't assign pub & sub addresses to Models 1002 & 1003

Button 1 & 2 are related to GEN_ONOFF_CLIENT
Button 3 & 4 are related to GEN_LEVEL_CLIENT

As per my implementation,
1. if Button 1 is pressed, then LED1 on all Boards turns ON.

2. if Button 2 is pressed, then LED1 on all Boards turns OFF.

3.if Button 3 is pressed, then it publishes value for eg. 2000.
   On subscriber side, it checks that value (since it is less than 10000 it turns ON LED3 & turns OFF LED4 )

4. if Button 4 is pressed, then it publishes value for eg. 15000.
   On subscriber side, it checks that value (since it is greater than 10000 it turns OFF LED 3 & turns ON LED4)

Ideally, as per #meshctl configuration,

if I pressed Button1 on any board, then LED1 on all boards should turn ON & if pressed
pressed Button2 then LED1 should OFF.

And if I pressed Button3 or Button4 on Board1, it should affect LED3&4 only on Board1(self).

And if I pressed Button3 or Button4 on Board2, it should not affect LEDs on any Board.

addresses to Model 1002, LED 3 & LED 4 on Board2 are reacting as soon as I pressed
Button 3&4 on Board 1.

Is it Bug ?

Thank You !!

[...]

As per my coding,
1. if Button 1 is pressed, then LED1 on all Boards turns ON.

2. if Button 2 is pressed, then LED1 on all Boards turns OFF.

3.if Button 3 is pressed, then it publishes value for eg. 2000.
   On subscriber side, it checks that value (since it is less than 10000 it turns ON LED3 & turns OFF LED4 )

4. if Button 4 is pressed, then it publishes value for eg. 15000.
   On subscriber side, it checks that value (since it is greater than 10000 it turns OFF LED 3 & turns ON LED4)

Ideally, as per #meshctl configuration,

if I pressed Button1 on any board, then LED1 on all boards should turn ON & if pressed
pressed Button2 then LED1 should OFF.

And if I pressed Button3 or Button4 on Board1, it should affect LED3&4 on only self Board.

[...]

Re: commit guidelines

Carles Cufi

Hi Marcio,

The SHA-id portion of those instructions only applies if you are importing something into “ext/” from a 3rd-party git repository. If instead this comes from a downloadable zip file or any other source then that bit does not apply at all. The idea is to be able to identify and track the exact origin of the software you are importing.

From: Laczen JMS <laczenjms@...>
Date: Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 2:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] [Zephyr-users] Power Configuration of nrf52840 (Vikrant More)
To: zephyr-devel@...

Hi Vikrant,

NFFS file system might not be a good choice to store frequently changing data.

For this case I have created a library called sfcb that you can find
in my zephyr project fork: https://github.com/Laczen/zephyr. The sfcb
(simple flash circular buffer) allows you to store data in a series of
sectors in flash.

All data is stored as a identifier-value pair, the identifier is a 16
bit value, the data can be anything from a byte to a very long string
of bytes (limited by the sector size). By writing a new
identifier-value pair the previous pair with the same identifier is
considered overwritten.

When all the available sectors have been used the library does a
garbage collection phase before erasing a sector. In this phase it
makes sure that there is at least one identifier-value pair for each
identifier.

The library allows you to combine almost constant data: node address,
netkeys, groups together with frequently changing data: sequence
number, iv_index into one storage solution, without wearing out flash
to fast. The almost constant data could be stored into one
identifier-value pair, the frequently changing in a different
identifier-value pair. Of course for the sequence number you will need
to avoid storing it for every change.

It can also be used in different cases where you would like to combine
the storage of network address, device name, ... in combination with
the device state (e.g. light switched on) in the same storage
solution.

Another use of the library is to consider the identifier as a file
name and the value as file contents.

In my zephyr project fork you can find a simple example in samples/subsys/sfcb.

Kind regards,

Jehudi

Re: [Zephyr-devel] Power Configuration of nrf52840

Chettimada, Vinayak Kariappa

1. Correction, values in UICR are at fixed location, changing them is not needed on every power up of the board.That said, after a change, a power cycle is need for h/w to load the new values. And yes, if you erase and flash UICR, its same as erase and flash a new firmware.
2. For your use case of storing frequently changing data, you need some sort of wear leveling.

On 10 Feb 2018, at 07:17, Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...> wrote:

But nrf52 flash support 10K write cycle. And it is like normal programming, isn't it ?

Worrying after reading your this statement, since I'm now trying to save persistent data which generate during working of #BluetoothMesh on flash of nRF52.

I used NFFS file system for testing.

On Feb 10, 2018 10:57 AM, "Chettimada, Vinayak Kariappa" <vinayak.kariappa.chettimada@...> wrote:
Hope you are doing it “only once per board’s life time” else you could be degrading the flash. Hence, my advice is to use nrfjprog to make the change "only once" per each board or use the design in soc.c wherein the value is first compared before writing.

-Vinayak

On 9 Feb 2018, at 07:20, ashish.shukla@... wrote:

Thanks everyone !!!

Adding these lines does the job.

 NRF_NVMC->CONFIG = NVMC_CONFIG_WEN_Wen;
    while (NRF_NVMC->READY == NVMC_READY_READY_Busy){
    }

    NRF_UICR->EXTSUPPLY = 0x01;
    while (NRF_NVMC->READY == NVMC_READY_READY_Busy){
    }

    NRF_UICR->REGOUT0 = 0x05;
    while (NRF_NVMC->READY == NVMC_READY_READY_Busy){
    }

    NRF_NVMC->CONFIG = NVMC_CONFIG_WEN_Ren;
    while (NRF_NVMC->READY == NVMC_READY_READY_Busy)

Warm regards,
Ashish Shukla
Jr. Embedded Engineer
Research & Development

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 12:17 AM, Vinayak Kariappa <vinayak.kariappa@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Ashish,

UICR is Flash, you need to do something similar to in soc.c done for reset pin config. Or use nrfjprog to write values to UICR

On 7 Feb 2018, at 12:04, "ashish.shukla@..." <ashish.shukla@...> wrote:

Hi,

Yes, I'm working in high voltage mode.  VDDH = 3.6V

Then, I added following lines

NRF_POWER->DCDCEN0 = 0x01;  // Enabling DC/DC for stage REG0
NRF_POWER->DCDCEN = 0x01;   // Enabling DC/DC for stage REG1

Again, as you suggested

NRF_UICR->EXTSUPPLY = 0x01;
NRF_UICR->REGOUT0 = 0x05;

After adding these lines at starting of main() function, It still measures 1.8V.

--
Warm regards,
Ashish Shukla

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 4:16 PM, Puzdrowski, Andrzej <Andrzej.Puzdrowski@nordicsemi.no> wrote:

Hi

So you must have supplied nRF52840 from VDDH pin – so it power regulator circuit works in high voltage mode.

Then internal regulator generate the GPIO output voltage:

You need to set UICR->REGOUT0 properly, 5 is proper value for select 3.3 V

For more info see nRF52840 OPS, especjali POWER chapter

Andrzej

On 2018-02-06 02:58, Vikrant More wrote:
Using #meshctl I gave following commands to BOARD_1

appkey-add 1

bind 0 1 1000
bind 0 1 1001
bind 0 1 1002
bind 0 1 1003

sub-add 0100 c000 1000
sub-add 0100 c001 1000

pub-set 0100 c000 1 0 5 1001

sub-add 0100 c000 1002
pub-set 0100 c000 1 0 5 1003

Using #meshctl I gave following commands to BOARD_2

appkey-add 1

bind 0 1 1000
bind 0 1 1001
bind 0 1 1002
bind 0 1 1003

sub-add 0101 c000 1000              //in last email I by mistake wrote
0100 instead of 0101, but main Question is as it is.
pub-set 0101 c001 1 0 5 1001

I've hard coded 4 Models, viz,

GEN_ONOFF_SRV

GEN_ONOFF_CLI

GEN_LEVEL_SRV

GEN_LEVEL_CLI

on both boards.

I found something wrong in case of BOARD_2,

where I only bound APP_KEY to all available models but didn't

assign any SUB or PUB addresses to  GEN_LEVEL_SRV or  GEN_LEVEL_CLI

even after that BOARD_2 is processing data publish by GEN_LEVEL_CLIENT
of BOARD_1.

Have anybody noticed it ?

Re: [Zephyr-devel] Power Configuration of nrf52840

ashish.shukla@corvi.com <ashish.shukla@...>

[...]

Re: Happy Gecko Support

Kumar Gala

We support boards/SoC with 8KB of RAM like nucleo_f030r8

- k

On Feb 8, 2018, at 11:47 AM, Felipe Neves <ryukokki.felipe@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Marcio, I did not see this 8KB of RAM as a problem, look from the zephyr documentation:

"The configurable nature of the kernel allows you to incorporate only those features needed by your application, making it ideal for systems with limited amounts of memory (as little as 2 KB!) or with simple multi-threading requirements (such as a set of interrupt handlers and a single background task). Examples of such systems include: embedded sensor hubs, environmental sensors, simple LED wearable, and store inventory tags.

Applications requiring more memory (50 to 900 KB), multiple communication devices (like WiFi and Bluetooth Low Energy), and complex multi-threading, can also be developed using the Zephyr kernel. Examples of such systems include: fitness wearables, smart watches, and IoT wireless gateways."

The 64KB of flash seems to be very reasonable to me for a M0+ microcontroller, the Happy Gecko has similar specs of a nordic NRF51 cortex M0+ and its port has support to BT stack :)

I'm wondering if a port to Bosch XDK (built around gecko mcus) could be a funny thing since their SDK's BT stack is closed source and only supports peripheral role :(

Felipe

Hi ,
Unfortunately Happy Gecko has only 8 Kb of RAM memory.

https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/32-bit/efm32-happy-gecko

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 2:26 PM, Kumar Gala <kumar.gala@linaro.org> wrote:

On Feb 8, 2018, at 6:51 AM, Ionut Cosmin Mihai <ionut.cosmin.mihai@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to Zephyr. Is it possible to use it for EFM32 Happy Gecko? (https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/32-bit/efm32-happy-gecko)

I see that it only supports Wonder Gecko.
One would need to port the Happy Gecko SoC and a board to Zephyr. Since Wonder Gecko has been ported, I’d expect that it wouldn’t be too difficult to do this.

Felipe S. Neves
Embedded software & systems engineer
Skype: fneves1989
+55 11 96610 – 0855
ryukokki.felipe@gmail.com

Re: Happy Gecko Support

Felipe Neves

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 2:26 PM, Kumar Gala <kumar.gala@...> wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2018, at 6:51 AM, Ionut Cosmin Mihai <ionut.cosmin.mihai@...> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Zephyr. Is it possible to use it for EFM32 Happy Gecko? (https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/32-bit/efm32-happy-gecko)
>
> I see that it only supports Wonder Gecko.

One would need to port the Happy Gecko SoC and a board to Zephyr.  Since Wonder Gecko has been ported, I’d expect that it wouldn’t be too difficult to do this.

Felipe S. Neves
Embedded software & systems engineer
Skype: fneves1989
+55 11 96610 – 0855

Re: Happy Gecko Support

Marcio Montenegro

Hi ,
    Unfortunately Happy Gecko has only 8 Kb of RAM memory.

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 2:26 PM, Kumar Gala <kumar.gala@...> wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2018, at 6:51 AM, Ionut Cosmin Mihai <ionut.cosmin.mihai@...> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Zephyr. Is it possible to use it for EFM32 Happy Gecko? (https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/32-bit/efm32-happy-gecko)
>
> I see that it only supports Wonder Gecko.

One would need to port the Happy Gecko SoC and a board to Zephyr.  Since Wonder Gecko has been ported, I’d expect that it wouldn’t be too difficult to do this.

Re: Happy Gecko Support

Kumar Gala

On Feb 8, 2018, at 6:51 AM, Ionut Cosmin Mihai <ionut.cosmin.mihai@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to Zephyr. Is it possible to use it for EFM32 Happy Gecko? (https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/32-bit/efm32-happy-gecko)

I see that it only supports Wonder Gecko.
One would need to port the Happy Gecko SoC and a board to Zephyr. Since Wonder Gecko has been ported, I’d expect that it wouldn’t be too difficult to do this.

- k

Happy Gecko Support

Cosmin Mihai

Hi,

I'm new to Zephyr. Is it possible to use it for EFM32 Happy Gecko? (https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/32-bit/efm32-happy-gecko)

I see that it only supports Wonder Gecko.

Thank you!

Re: [Zephyr-devel] Buggy PWM driver for nRF52

Chettimada, Vinayak Kariappa

Hi Vikrant and Neves,

I have submitted a PR that will correctly “disable” Coded PHY support in nRF52840, in turn avoiding the PPI channels 14 to 19 and hence usable by pwm_nrf5_sw.c implementation.

Use the following:

CONFIG_BT_CTLR_ADVANCED_FEATURES=y

CONFIG_BT_CTLR_PHY_CODED=n

Appreciate if one of you can test this and confirm that on an nRF52840 with BT connections 3 PWM channels using pwm_nrf5_sw has no issues.

Feel free to leave your comments here: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/6055