Date

Community input on possible change to Discord from Slack

Kumar Gala

All,

We’ve had a few discussion in the Zephyr TSC regarding the need for maintaining history in our chat communication platform and the limitation that Slack imposes on this for free usage. The general feeling is that having access to historical discussions is important for the continued growth of the Zephyr community.

We have tried to engage Slack on a cost effective solution but unfortunately that does not appear to be an option. A few different options that have been evaluated (Discord, matrix.org, rocket chat, Microsoft Teams) and Discord seemed to be the best option and has had a fair amount of history with Adafruit (a Silver Member).

Some requirements for Zephyr chat platform:
* Maintain history
* integration with other services (like GitHub)
* private channels
* ideally free - or low cost
* no overhead for Zephyr Project (ie not having to run our own server).

Pros of Discord:
* Shared accounts across "servers" which are really just communities. Makes joining a new server very fast and easy.
* Strong moderation tools (mute, ban, kick) per server. No need to wait for Discord to help.
* Unlimited history for free.
* Easy to join via invite link, chat and then establish an account.

Cons of Discord:
* Can get spammy when publicly listed.
* Closed source so interop with Matrix and IRC is tricky but doable.

We’d like to get any feedback from the community at large before finalizing a decision in the TSC. The topic will be on the July 29th TSC meeting and will review any email feedback that anyone has on the topic.

Thanks

A few links:
* Current Open Source communities utilizing Discord: https://discord.com/open-source
* Zephyr Discord: https://discord.gg/28BgkM

(NOTE: The Zephyr Discord is setup for testing purposes at this time)

Re: MCUMGR - sends responses to wrong port

Carles Cufi

Hi Lawrence,

Try instead using the .dts in your board, or add an overlay, and change this line:

zephyr,uart-mcumgr = &uart0;

From: "users@..." <users@...> on behalf of "nandojve@..." <nandojve@...>
Date: Friday, July 10, 2020 at 8:15 AM
To: "users@..." <users@...>
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-users] SAME70 Xplained failed to build with ethernet networking

Ok, now we can build let's explore configs.

When you add options -p(restine) auto west will decide about prestine configs and that may be the case of [1,0] config.

So it may doesn't apply the default board configuration.

In general, I always use this command, without -p

make build -b sam_e70b_xplained <sample>

It will create a build dir with default configuration and after that you should have [1,1].

Then you can increase that parameter to enable priority queues. We don't enable all because uses a lot of buffers

and most applications don't need that feature, it saves RAM.

BR,

Gerson

Em sex., 10 de jul. de 2020 às 11:55, Sam Wong <sam@...> escreveu:

It was my misunderstanding. I thought each board need to have its own folder in boards/arm. I didn’t see a directory boards/arm/sam_e70b_xplained and so never tried to build with sam_e70b_xplained as shown in your first reply.

Instead, I made a sam_e70b_xplained directory out of the files from sam_e70_xplained and got it working. Just now I pulled my folder away and was able to build sam_e70b_xplained just fine 😊.

The remaining mystery is that the range is now stuck in [1,0] for both revisions. As I said, I deleted the zephyr folder and did west init and west update. The range was already [1,0] immediately after west update.

I got round that by putting the correct configs in sam_e70b_defconfig so that I don’t need to run menuconfig.

Anyway, I got the board working.

Thanks again.

Sam.

From: "users@..." <users@...> on behalf of "nandojve@..." <nandojve@...>
Date: Friday, July 10, 2020 at 7:06 AM
To: "users@..." <users@...>

Hi Sam Wong,

We define two SoC versions at boards/sam_e70_xplained, same for sam_v71_xult:

Version SoC rev A:  sam_e70_xplained

Version SoC rev B:  sam_e70b_xplained

> Don’t know what’s change between now and last week. When I ran menuconfig after building telnet,

> “Device driver -> Ethernet Driver -> Atmel SAM -> Number of active TX queues” showed a valid range of [1,0].

> Before I re-cloned zephyr, that range used to be [1,3]. How do you fix that?

The range [1,3] is for SoC rev A.

Make sure you always use version B since your SoC is the last version and you will see range [1,6].

BR,

Gerson

Em qua., 8 de jul. de 2020 às 23:11, Sam Wong <sam@...> escreveu:

Tried many times. No change, still don’t have sam_e70b_xplained.

I even tried from scratch, ran

                West init ~/zephyr

                Cd ~/zephyr

                West update

                Cd zephyr

                West build -p auto -b sam_e70_xplained samples/net/telnet

Don’t know what’s change between now and last week. When I ran menuconfig after building telnet,

“Device driver -> Ethernet Driver -> Atmel SAM -> Number of active TX queues” showed a valid range of [1,0].

Before I re-cloned zephyr, that range used to be [1,3]. How do you fix that?

Thanks.

Sam

From: Stephanos Ioannidis <root@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 5:15 PM
To: Sam Wong <sam@...>, Gerson Fernando Budke <nandojve@...>
Cc: "users@..." <users@...>

Have you tried ‘west update’?

Stephanos

From: Gerson Fernando Budke <nandojve@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 2:23 PM
To: Sam Wong <sam@...>
Cc: "users@..." <users@...>

Hi @ Sam Wong,

I made a build test and it is working for me.

git checkout master

git fetch upstream

git rebase upstream/master

west update

west build -b sam_e70b_xplained samples/net/telnet

west build -t menuconfig

change

Device driver -> Ethernet Driver -> Atmel SAM -> Number of active TX queues to 6 (max)

Add more buffers:

Network -> Ip Stack ->

20 packages receive at same time

20 packages send

80 network buffer to receive

80 network buffer to send

You can ignore the 2 warnings.

Please, let me know if it works for you.

Gerson

Em qua., 8 de jul. de 2020 às 14:54, Sam Wong via lists.zephyrproject.org <sam=bbinet.com@...> escreveu:

I bought a new SAME70 Xplained board last week and pulled down the latest from Master.
Sample projects work as long as networking is not involved. Network projects compiled and run but debugging showed that packet reception is fine but nothing got transmitted.
Did some digging and saw some patches added for Rev.B chip that fixed the problem. I ran config to specify Rev.B chip. However, network projects now failed to build.

-----------------------------

In file included from ../include/toolchain.h:39,

                 from ../include/sys/atomic.h:13,

                 from ../include/logging/log_msg.h:9,

                 from ../include/logging/log_core.h:9,

                 from ../include/logging/log.h:11,

                 from /home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/drivers/ethernet/eth_sam_gmac.c:26:

../include/toolchain/gcc.h:62:36: error: static assertion failed: "GMAC_QUEUE_NUM doesn\'t match soc header"

   62 | #define BUILD_ASSERT(EXPR, MSG...) _Static_assert(EXPR, "" MSG)

      |                                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~

/home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/drivers/ethernet/eth_sam_gmac_priv.h:37:1: note: in expansion of macro 'BUILD_ASSERT'

   37 | BUILD_ASSERT(ARRAY_SIZE(GMAC->GMAC_TBQBAPQ) + 1 == GMAC_QUEUE_NUM,

      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~

[58/162] Building C object zephyr/arch...rm__core__aarch32.dir/irq_manage.c.obj

FATAL ERROR: command exited with status 1: /usr/bin/cmake --build /home/sam/zeph
---------------------------------------

Further digging showed that GMAC_QUEUE_NUM is set to 3 but GMAC->GMAC_TBQBAPQ is 5 for Rev.B chip according to the declaration in the SDK. GMAC->GMAC_TBQBAPQ is 2 for Rev.A chip and so it won't trigger the BUILD_ASSERT.

num_queue is in auto-generated devicetree_unfixed.h in the build directory. I don't know enough to figure out where to look for the origin of num_queue.
Any help would be appreciated.

Sam

Re: SAME70 Xplained failed to build with ethernet networking

nandojve@...

From: "users@..." <users@...> on behalf of "nandojve@..." <nandojve@...>
Date: Friday, July 10, 2020 at 7:06 AM
To: "users@..." <users@...>

From: Stephanos Ioannidis <root@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 5:15 PM
To: Sam Wong <sam@...>, Gerson Fernando Budke <nandojve@...>
Cc: "users@..." <users@...>

Have you tried ‘west update’?

Stephanos

From: Gerson Fernando Budke <nandojve@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 2:23 PM
To: Sam Wong <sam@...>
Cc: "users@..." <users@...>

From: "users@..." <users@...> on behalf of "nandojve@..." <nandojve@...>
Date: Friday, July 10, 2020 at 7:06 AM
To: "users@..." <users@...>

From: Stephanos Ioannidis <root@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 5:15 PM
To: Sam Wong <sam@...>, Gerson Fernando Budke <nandojve@...>
Cc: "users@..." <users@...>

Have you tried ‘west update’?

Stephanos

From: Gerson Fernando Budke <nandojve@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 2:23 PM
To: Sam Wong <sam@...>
Cc: "users@..." <users@...>

From: Stephanos Ioannidis <root@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 5:15 PM
To: Sam Wong <sam@...>, Gerson Fernando Budke <nandojve@...>
Cc: "users@..." <users@...>

Have you tried ‘west update’?

Stephanos

From: Gerson Fernando Budke <nandojve@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 2:23 PM
To: Sam Wong <sam@...>
Cc: "users@..." <users@...>

Hi @ Sam Wong,

I made a build test and it is working for me.

git checkout master

git fetch upstream

git rebase upstream/master

west update

west build -b sam_e70b_xplained samples/net/telnet

west build -t menuconfig

change

Device driver -> Ethernet Driver -> Atmel SAM -> Number of active TX queues to 6 (max)

Add more buffers:

Network -> Ip Stack ->

20 packages receive at same time

20 packages send

80 network buffer to receive

80 network buffer to send

You can ignore the 2 warnings.

Please, let me know if it works for you.

Gerson

Em qua., 8 de jul. de 2020 às 14:54, Sam Wong via lists.zephyrproject.org <sam=bbinet.com@...> escreveu:

I bought a new SAME70 Xplained board last week and pulled down the latest from Master.
Sample projects work as long as networking is not involved. Network projects compiled and run but debugging showed that packet reception is fine but nothing got transmitted.
Did some digging and saw some patches added for Rev.B chip that fixed the problem. I ran config to specify Rev.B chip. However, network projects now failed to build.

-----------------------------

In file included from ../include/toolchain.h:39,

                 from ../include/sys/atomic.h:13,

                 from ../include/logging/log_msg.h:9,

                 from ../include/logging/log_core.h:9,

                 from ../include/logging/log.h:11,

                 from /home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/drivers/ethernet/eth_sam_gmac.c:26:

../include/toolchain/gcc.h:62:36: error: static assertion failed: "GMAC_QUEUE_NUM doesn\'t match soc header"

   62 | #define BUILD_ASSERT(EXPR, MSG...) _Static_assert(EXPR, "" MSG)

      |                                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~

/home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/drivers/ethernet/eth_sam_gmac_priv.h:37:1: note: in expansion of macro 'BUILD_ASSERT'

   37 | BUILD_ASSERT(ARRAY_SIZE(GMAC->GMAC_TBQBAPQ) + 1 == GMAC_QUEUE_NUM,

      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~

[58/162] Building C object zephyr/arch...rm__core__aarch32.dir/irq_manage.c.obj

FATAL ERROR: command exited with status 1: /usr/bin/cmake --build /home/sam/zeph
---------------------------------------

Further digging showed that GMAC_QUEUE_NUM is set to 3 but GMAC->GMAC_TBQBAPQ is 5 for Rev.B chip according to the declaration in the SDK. GMAC->GMAC_TBQBAPQ is 2 for Rev.A chip and so it won't trigger the BUILD_ASSERT.

num_queue is in auto-generated devicetree_unfixed.h in the build directory. I don't know enough to figure out where to look for the origin of num_queue.
Any help would be appreciated.

Sam

Accessing ADC on Adafruit Feather nrf52832

Tomas McGuinness

Hi,

Does anyone know if it’s possible to access the ADC on the Adafruit Feather nRF52832 board?

I want to access pin 31 to read the battery level.

Regards,
Tom

From: Stephanos Ioannidis <root@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 5:15 PM
To: Sam Wong <sam@...>, Gerson Fernando Budke <nandojve@...>
Cc: "users@..." <users@...>

Have you tried ‘west update’?

Stephanos

From: Gerson Fernando Budke <nandojve@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 2:23 PM
To: Sam Wong <sam@...>
Cc: "users@..." <users@...>

Hi @ Sam Wong,

I made a build test and it is working for me.

git checkout master

git fetch upstream

git rebase upstream/master

west update

west build -b sam_e70b_xplained samples/net/telnet

west build -t menuconfig

change

Device driver -> Ethernet Driver -> Atmel SAM -> Number of active TX queues to 6 (max)

Add more buffers:

Network -> Ip Stack ->

20 packages receive at same time

20 packages send

80 network buffer to receive

80 network buffer to send

You can ignore the 2 warnings.

Please, let me know if it works for you.

Gerson

Em qua., 8 de jul. de 2020 às 14:54, Sam Wong via lists.zephyrproject.org <sam=bbinet.com@...> escreveu:

I bought a new SAME70 Xplained board last week and pulled down the latest from Master.
Sample projects work as long as networking is not involved. Network projects compiled and run but debugging showed that packet reception is fine but nothing got transmitted.
Did some digging and saw some patches added for Rev.B chip that fixed the problem. I ran config to specify Rev.B chip. However, network projects now failed to build.

-----------------------------

In file included from ../include/toolchain.h:39,

                 from ../include/sys/atomic.h:13,

                 from ../include/logging/log_msg.h:9,

                 from ../include/logging/log_core.h:9,

                 from ../include/logging/log.h:11,

                 from /home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/drivers/ethernet/eth_sam_gmac.c:26:

../include/toolchain/gcc.h:62:36: error: static assertion failed: "GMAC_QUEUE_NUM doesn\'t match soc header"

   62 | #define BUILD_ASSERT(EXPR, MSG...) _Static_assert(EXPR, "" MSG)

      |                                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~

/home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/drivers/ethernet/eth_sam_gmac_priv.h:37:1: note: in expansion of macro 'BUILD_ASSERT'

   37 | BUILD_ASSERT(ARRAY_SIZE(GMAC->GMAC_TBQBAPQ) + 1 == GMAC_QUEUE_NUM,

      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~

[58/162] Building C object zephyr/arch...rm__core__aarch32.dir/irq_manage.c.obj

FATAL ERROR: command exited with status 1: /usr/bin/cmake --build /home/sam/zeph
---------------------------------------

Further digging showed that GMAC_QUEUE_NUM is set to 3 but GMAC->GMAC_TBQBAPQ is 5 for Rev.B chip according to the declaration in the SDK. GMAC->GMAC_TBQBAPQ is 2 for Rev.A chip and so it won't trigger the BUILD_ASSERT.

num_queue is in auto-generated devicetree_unfixed.h in the build directory. I don't know enough to figure out where to look for the origin of num_queue.
Any help would be appreciated.

Sam

Re: SAME70 Xplained failed to build with ethernet networking

Stephanos Ioannidis

Have you tried ‘west update’?

Stephanos

From: Gerson Fernando Budke <nandojve@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 2:23 PM
To: Sam Wong <sam@...>
Cc: "users@..." <users@...>

From: Gerson Fernando Budke <nandojve@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 2:23 PM
To: Sam Wong <sam@...>
Cc: "users@..." <users@...>

> [...]

      |                                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/drivers/ethernet/eth_sam_gmac_priv.h:37:1: note: in expansion of macro 'BUILD_ASSERT'
   37 | BUILD_ASSERT(ARRAY_SIZE(GMAC->GMAC_TBQBAPQ) + 1 == GMAC_QUEUE_NUM,
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~
[58/162] Building C object zephyr/arch...rm__core__aarch32.dir/irq_manage.c.obj
FATAL ERROR: command exited with status 1: /usr/bin/cmake --build /home/sam/zeph
---------------------------------------

Further digging showed that GMAC_QUEUE_NUM is set to 3 but GMAC->GMAC_TBQBAPQ is 5 for Rev.B chip according to the declaration in the SDK. GMAC->GMAC_TBQBAPQ is 2 for Rev.A chip and so it won't trigger the BUILD_ASSERT.

num_queue is in auto-generated devicetree_unfixed.h in the build directory. I don't know enough to figure out where to look for the origin of num_queue.

Re: [Zephyr-devel] Post 2.3.0 PR merging

Simon Glass <sjg@...>

Hi Anas,

Less scientifically I just did some reviews and perhaps half of them already had one approval. So presumably they were blocked. I guess you are saying it's only a third. OK. But that's a lot. Also with two reviewers, people can be somewhat less careful...

How do you deal with the case of people being happy with it but wanting review from someone else before approving? I saw a few where it seemed no one would take the plunge.

Regards,
SImon

On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 at 12:57, Nashif, Anas <anas.nashif@...> wrote:

Hi,

Here some data…

What I have just posted on slack…

So, go do some reviews please 😊

From: <devel@...> on behalf of Carles Cufi <carles.cufi@...>
Date: Tuesday, 7 July 2020 at 06:42
To: Simon Glass <sjg@...>
Cc: "devel@..." <devel@...>, "users@..." <users@...>
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] Post 2.3.0 PR merging

Hi Simon,

Not to my knowledge, no. But perhaps Ioannis or Anas know if it’s also documented elsewhere.

Regarding the “stamp of approval” that was mentioned earlier in the thread, I think we could adopt a middle ground. If the person with merge rights is reasonably knowledgeable about the area of the change, and understands the implications, their +1 could count even if they are not a maintainer. I feel that in many cases this could unblock PRs without compromising the quality of the code being merged.

Carles

Am 06.07.2020 um 22:20 schrieb Simon Glass <sjg@...>:

Hi Carles,

OK I see. Since you called out the 2-approver change as a cause of the bottleneck, I'm assuming there is data available on this.

I was looking around for discussion about the decision. The closest I found was here. Is there something else?

Regards,

SImon

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 at 12:23, Cufi, Carles <Carles.Cufi@...> wrote:

Hi Simon,

A decision like that would need to go through the TSC, and in order to be able to vote we’d need to have clear stats on how many PRs are actually blocked by this policy. I was thinking about this recently, and given that those in Zephyr with merge rights can in fact add their +1 and they typically rely on a maintainer’s review to decide whether to merge a PR or not, this might not have as big as an impact as I originally thought.

That said, I believe we need a new GitHub filter to help us. Right now, we have one that lists PRs that are approved, passing CI and ready to merge, but what we need is one that shows all PRs that are partially approved (i.e. a single +1) and passing CI. Then those of us with merge rights could go over those regularly (like we do for the former) and, provided there’s a +1 from a maintainer, we could take one additional look at the PR, approve it and merge it.

I’d very much like to hear the opinion of others with merge rights in this thread.