Date

Re: LWM2M client to nrf582540-DK #nrf52840 #networking

Lubos, Robert

Hi Nikos,

Contributions are always welcome, would be also good to contribute the overlay-ot.conf to the lwm2m_client sample, once you have configuration that is proven to work. We even have an outstanding issue opened for that:

As for the issues reported, the first one (CONFIG_LWM2M_COAP_BLOCK_SIZE) looks to me like a bug, as this value is used to determine maximum supported packet size:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/blob/master/subsys/net/lib/lwm2m/lwm2m_object.h#L133

Given that currently we only support block transfer for FW updates, it doesn’t seem like valid approach. As a workaround, you can modify `MAX_PACKET_SIZE` to some higher value and see if it helps.

The Kconfig error can be fixed by explicitly enabling TLS support in overlay-dtls.conf (CONFIG_MBEDTLS_TLS_VERSION_1_2=y). TLS is by default disabled for OpenThread to save RAM/ROM when not needed (OT uses mbedTLS internally). The sample relied on a default config, hence it didn’t work with OT enabled. Other Kconfig warnings can be disabled by overwriting the defaults from `prj.conf` in `overlay-ot.conf` (OT makes no use of IPv4).

As for DTLS testing, you may also need to increase mbedTLS heap size (CONFIG_MBEDTLS_HEAP_SIZE=8192), to make sure it’s enough for both, OpenThread and LwM2M.

Regards,

Robert

Thanks Robert, with your help I managed to make the OTBR work (I can make a documentation as contribution for the project if you are interested). Although, the device is registered to the leshan server as it should, I have two problems. The first one is that I can not change the CONFIG_LWM2M_COAP_BLOCK_SIZE to 64 (or 128) because I am getting the following error <err> net_lwm2m_rd_client: Registration err: -12 which I saw in API that corresponds to * Not enough core */. The second problem is that I can not build the lwm2m sample when I use the overlay-dtls.conf to enable communication over DTLS in the openthread network. The description of error is that error: Aborting due to Kconfig warnings the warnings are about the NET_IF_UNICAST_IPV4_ADDR_COUNT, NET_IF_MCAST_IPV4_ADDR_COUNT, TEST_RANDOM_GENERATOR and NET_SOCKETS_ENABLE_DTLS parameteres. I tried to comment in some of them but again I have problems. My build command is west build -p auto -b nrf52840dk_nrf52840 samples/net/lwm2m_client/ -d build_lwm2m -- -DCONF_FILE="prj.conf overlay-ot.conf overlay-dtls.conf"

Do you have any ideas?

Re: LWM2M client to nrf582540-DK #nrf52840 #networking

Nikos Karamolegkos

[...]

If you use CONF_FILE option, you need to specify both, prj.conf and the overlay: “-- -DCONF_FILE="prj.conf overlay-usb-nrf-br.conf"”.

There’s also an OVERLAY_CONFIG option, where you can specify only the overlay file: “-- -DOVERLAY_CONFIG= overlay-usb-nrf-br.conf”.

Regarding OTBR, I’m sorry but I don’t have a working setup right now to test. For sure it’s critical that you provide the OTBR with the same channel/panid/network key as other Thread devices in your network.

The easiest way to determine whether you are connected to other devices is to use OT CLI component (OPENTHREAD_SHELL needs to be enabled, it is by default) and check children/router tables:

  • “ot role” to determine whether you are a router (leader in specific case) or a child
  • “ot child table” to see if you have any children in router role
  • “ot router table” to see if there are any other routers in your network
  • “ot parent” to see information about a parent router in child role

I haven’t worked with OTBR for some time, but I’m not sure if using “Join” option will work unless you have a commissioner in your network. I think that safer option would be to let the border router form the network (https://openthread.io/guides/border-router/web-gui#form_a_thread_network ) and then let your other device join it. Just make sure to use the same network parameters, as mentioned earlier.

Regards,

Robert