Today's topics:

- Device: Normalize DMA, IPM and UART callbacks signatures including the caller's device pointer (should be quick, PRs are already approved and email sent to the mailing lists)
- Issue: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/26923
- PR: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/26426
- PR: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/26780
- PR: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/26781

- Device: Const-ify device driver instances
- PR: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/24873

- Go through the current set of issues in the project and clean up/organize them

Teams link: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_NWU2MjZlYWEtZDcwMi00MWQzLTgwMjEtNDdkYjQwMjBjMmFj%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22af0096d9-700c-411a-b795-b3dd7122bad2%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%22841a7c92-7816-4faf-9887-5e334e88f6d8%22%7d

ODP: Reading data from LSM6DS33 , I2C

Edyta Bosacka <edyta.bosacka@...>

Thank you 🙂 Thanks to your advice I opened this file but I still get error while writing to this file 🙁Do you have any idea why?  I will be very grateful for any help😊

Od: Lawrence King <lawrence.king@...>
Wysłane: piątek, 24 lipca 2020 15:41
Do: Edyta Bosacka <edyta.bosacka@...>; users@... <users@...>
Temat: RE: Reading data from LSM6DS33 , I2C

Did you power up the Accelerometer? You should read the full datasheet, here is what is says about power:

Operating modes

The LSM6DS33 has three operating modes available:

only accelerometer active and gyroscope in power-down

only gyroscope active and accelerometer in power-down

both accelerometer and gyroscope sensors active with independent ODR

The accelerometer is activated from power down by writing ODR_XL[3:0] in CTRL1_XL

(10h) while the gyroscope is activated from power-down by writing ODR_G[3:0] in

CTRL2_G (11h). For combo mode the ODRs are totally independent.

There are a lot of registers (about 60) in this chip, you need to setup the chip before you can use it. Did you set the output data rates? The Fifo? The filters?

From: "users@..." <users@...> on behalf of "nandojve@..." <nandojve@...>
Date: Saturday, July 25, 2020 at 10:24 AM
To: "users@..." <users@...>
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-users] SAME70 Xplained failed to build with ethernet networking

Hi @sam,

I update my machine with the current main zephyr repo and west update.
Unfortunately I can't see the problem.

Environment (please complete the following information):

  • OS: Linux (Debian Buster)
  • Toolchain Zephyr SDK 0.11.3
  • Zephyr     f014ba1ff
  • hal_atmel 1fe96f0a

Could you check the environment and confirm you are at the same hashes?

Em sex., 10 de jul. de 2020 às 13:17, Sam Wong <sam@...> escreveu:

I deleted build and ran “west build -b sam_e70b_xplained samples/net/telnet”.

I then ran guiconfig and the active range is still stuck at [1,0] and won’t allow me to select anything and always reverts back to 0.

Here is the output when I ran guiconfig. Warnings at the last two lines.

Thanks.

Sam

sam@ubuntu:~/zephyr/zephyr$ west build -t guiconfig

-- west build: running target guiconfig

[0/1] Re-running CMake...

Including boilerplate (Zephyr base (cached)): /home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/cmake/app/boilerplate.cmake

-- Application: /home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/samples/net/telnet

-- Zephyr version: 2.3.99 (/home/sam/zephyr/zephyr)

-- Board: sam_e70b_xplained

-- Found toolchain: zephyr (/opt/zephyr-sdk-0.11.4)

-- Found west: /home/sam/.local/bin/west (found suitable version "0.7.2", minimum required is "0.7.1")

-- Found dtc: /opt/zephyr-sdk-0.11.4/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/dtc (found suitable version "1.5.0", minimum required is "1.4.6")

-- Found BOARD.dts: /home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/boards/arm/sam_e70_xplained/sam_e70b_xplained.dts

-- Generated zephyr.dts: /home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/build/zephyr/zephyr.dts

-- Generated devicetree_unfixed.h: /home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/build/zephyr/include/generated/devicetree_unfixed.h

Parsing /home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/Kconfig

Loaded configuration '/home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/boards/arm/sam_e70_xplained/sam_e70b_xplained_defconfig'

Merged configuration '/home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/samples/net/telnet/prj.conf'

Configuration saved to '/home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/build/zephyr/.config'

Kconfig header saved to '/home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/build/zephyr/include/generated/autoconf.h'

warning: TEST_RANDOM_GENERATOR (defined at boards/shields/esp_8266/boards/sam4e_xpro.defconfig:17,

subsys/random/Kconfig:8) was assigned the value 'y' but got the value 'n'. Check these unsatisfied

dependencies: ((BOARD_SAM4E_XPRO && NETWORKING && SHIELD_ESP_8266) || !ENTROPY_HAS_DRIVER) (=n). See

http://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/reference/kconfig/CONFIG_TEST_RANDOM_GENERATOR.html and/or look

up TEST_RANDOM_GENERATOR in the menuconfig/guiconfig interface. The Application Development Primer,

Setting Configuration Values, and Kconfig - Tips and Best Practices sections of the manual might be

helpful too.

-- Cache files will be written to: /home/sam/.cache/zephyr

-- Configuring done

-- Generating done

-- Build files have been written to: /home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/build

[0/1] cd /home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/build...fig.py /home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/Kconfig

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/scripts/kconfig/guiconfig.py", line 2330, in <module>

    _main()

  File "/home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/scripts/kconfig/guiconfig.py", line 104, in _main

    menuconfig(standard_kconfig(__doc__))

  File "/home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/scripts/kconfig/guiconfig.py", line 238, in menuconfig

    _root.mainloop()

  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/tkinter/__init__.py", line 1420, in mainloop

    self.tk.mainloop(n)

KeyboardInterrupt

Loaded configuration '/home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/build/zephyr/.config'

warning: user value 1 on the int symbol ETH_SAM_GMAC_QUEUES (defined at drivers/ethernet/Kconfig.sam_gmac:21) ignored due to being outside the active range ([1, 0]) -- falling back on defaults

warning: default value 1 on ETH_SAM_GMAC_QUEUES (defined at drivers/ethernet/Kconfig.sam_gmac:21) clamped to 0 due to being outside the active range ([1, 0])

From: "users@..." <users@...> on behalf of "nandojve@..." <nandojve@...>
Date: Friday, July 10, 2020 at 8:15 AM
To: "users@..." <users@...>

Ok, now we can build let's explore configs.

When you add options -p(restine) auto west will decide about prestine configs and that may be the case of [1,0] config.

So it may doesn't apply the default board configuration.

In general, I always use this command, without -p

make build -b sam_e70b_xplained <sample>

It will create a build dir with default configuration and after that you should have [1,1].

Then you can increase that parameter to enable priority queues. We don't enable all because uses a lot of buffers

and most applications don't need that feature, it saves RAM.

BR,

Gerson

Em sex., 10 de jul. de 2020 às 11:55, Sam Wong <sam@...> escreveu:

It was my misunderstanding. I thought each board need to have its own folder in boards/arm. I didn’t see a directory boards/arm/sam_e70b_xplained and so never tried to build with sam_e70b_xplained as shown in your first reply.

Instead, I made a sam_e70b_xplained directory out of the files from sam_e70_xplained and got it working. Just now I pulled my folder away and was able to build sam_e70b_xplained just fine 😊.

The remaining mystery is that the range is now stuck in [1,0] for both revisions. As I said, I deleted the zephyr folder and did west init and west update. The range was already [1,0] immediately after west update.

I got round that by putting the correct configs in sam_e70b_defconfig so that I don’t need to run menuconfig.

Anyway, I got the board working.

Thanks again.

Sam.

From: "users@..." <users@...> on behalf of "nandojve@..." <nandojve@...>
Date: Friday, July 10, 2020 at 7:06 AM
To: "users@..." <users@...>

Hi Sam Wong,

We define two SoC versions at boards/sam_e70_xplained, same for sam_v71_xult:

Version SoC rev A:  sam_e70_xplained

Version SoC rev B:  sam_e70b_xplained

> Don’t know what’s change between now and last week. When I ran menuconfig after building telnet,

> “Device driver -> Ethernet Driver -> Atmel SAM -> Number of active TX queues” showed a valid range of [1,0].

> Before I re-cloned zephyr, that range used to be [1,3]. How do you fix that?

The range [1,3] is for SoC rev A.

Make sure you always use version B since your SoC is the last version and you will see range [1,6].

BR,

Gerson

Em qua., 8 de jul. de 2020 às 23:11, Sam Wong <sam@...> escreveu:

Tried many times. No change, still don’t have sam_e70b_xplained.

I even tried from scratch, ran

                West init ~/zephyr

                Cd ~/zephyr

                West update

                Cd zephyr

                West build -p auto -b sam_e70_xplained samples/net/telnet

From: Stephanos Ioannidis <root@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 5:15 PM
To: Sam Wong <sam@...>, Gerson Fernando Budke <nandojve@...>
Cc: "users@..." <users@...>

Have you tried ‘west update’?

Stephanos

From: Gerson Fernando Budke <nandojve@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 2:23 PM
To: Sam Wong <sam@...>
Cc: "users@..." <users@...>

Hi @ Sam Wong,

I made a build test and it is working for me.

git checkout master

git fetch upstream

git rebase upstream/master

west update

west build -b sam_e70b_xplained samples/net/telnet

west build -t menuconfig

change

Device driver -> Ethernet Driver -> Atmel SAM -> Number of active TX queues to 6 (max)

Add more buffers:

Network -> Ip Stack ->

20 packages receive at same time

20 packages send

80 network buffer to receive

80 network buffer to send

You can ignore the 2 warnings.

Please, let me know if it works for you.

Gerson

Em qua., 8 de jul. de 2020 às 14:54, Sam Wong via lists.zephyrproject.org <sam=bbinet.com@...> escreveu:

I bought a new SAME70 Xplained board last week and pulled down the latest from Master.
Sample projects work as long as networking is not involved. Network projects compiled and run but debugging showed that packet reception is fine but nothing got transmitted.
Did some digging and saw some patches added for Rev.B chip that fixed the problem. I ran config to specify Rev.B chip. However, network projects now failed to build.

-----------------------------

In file included from ../include/toolchain.h:39,

                 from ../include/sys/atomic.h:13,

                 from ../include/logging/log_msg.h:9,

                 from ../include/logging/log_core.h:9,

                 from ../include/logging/log.h:11,

                 from /home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/drivers/ethernet/eth_sam_gmac.c:26:

../include/toolchain/gcc.h:62:36: error: static assertion failed: "GMAC_QUEUE_NUM doesn\'t match soc header"

   62 | #define BUILD_ASSERT(EXPR, MSG...) _Static_assert(EXPR, "" MSG)

      |                                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~

/home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/drivers/ethernet/eth_sam_gmac_priv.h:37:1: note: in expansion of macro 'BUILD_ASSERT'

   37 | BUILD_ASSERT(ARRAY_SIZE(GMAC->GMAC_TBQBAPQ) + 1 == GMAC_QUEUE_NUM,

      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~

[58/162] Building C object zephyr/arch...rm__core__aarch32.dir/irq_manage.c.obj

FATAL ERROR: command exited with status 1: /usr/bin/cmake --build /home/sam/zeph
---------------------------------------

Further digging showed that GMAC_QUEUE_NUM is set to 3 but GMAC->GMAC_TBQBAPQ is 5 for Rev.B chip according to the declaration in the SDK. GMAC->GMAC_TBQBAPQ is 2 for Rev.A chip and so it won't trigger the BUILD_ASSERT.

num_queue is in auto-generated devicetree_unfixed.h in the build directory. I don't know enough to figure out where to look for the origin of num_queue.
Any help would be appreciated.

Sam

Re: SAME70 Xplained failed to build with ethernet networking

nandojve@...

From: "users@..." <users@...> on behalf of "nandojve@..." <nandojve@...>
Date: Friday, July 10, 2020 at 7:06 AM
To: "users@..." <users@...>

From: Stephanos Ioannidis <root@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 5:15 PM
To: Sam Wong <sam@...>, Gerson Fernando Budke <nandojve@...>
Cc: "users@..." <users@...>

Have you tried ‘west update’?

Stephanos

From: Gerson Fernando Budke <nandojve@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 2:23 PM
To: Sam Wong <sam@...>
Cc: "users@..." <users@...>

Hi @ Sam Wong,

I made a build test and it is working for me.

git checkout master

git fetch upstream

git rebase upstream/master

west update

west build -b sam_e70b_xplained samples/net/telnet

west build -t menuconfig

change

Device driver -> Ethernet Driver -> Atmel SAM -> Number of active TX queues to 6 (max)

Add more buffers:

Network -> Ip Stack ->

20 packages receive at same time

20 packages send

80 network buffer to receive

80 network buffer to send

You can ignore the 2 warnings.

Please, let me know if it works for you.

Gerson

Em qua., 8 de jul. de 2020 às 14:54, Sam Wong via lists.zephyrproject.org <sam=bbinet.com@...> escreveu:

I bought a new SAME70 Xplained board last week and pulled down the latest from Master.
Sample projects work as long as networking is not involved. Network projects compiled and run but debugging showed that packet reception is fine but nothing got transmitted.
Did some digging and saw some patches added for Rev.B chip that fixed the problem. I ran config to specify Rev.B chip. However, network projects now failed to build.

-----------------------------

In file included from ../include/toolchain.h:39,

                 from ../include/sys/atomic.h:13,

                 from ../include/logging/log_msg.h:9,

                 from ../include/logging/log_core.h:9,

                 from ../include/logging/log.h:11,

                 from /home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/drivers/ethernet/eth_sam_gmac.c:26:

../include/toolchain/gcc.h:62:36: error: static assertion failed: "GMAC_QUEUE_NUM doesn\'t match soc header"

   62 | #define BUILD_ASSERT(EXPR, MSG...) _Static_assert(EXPR, "" MSG)

      |                                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~

/home/sam/zephyr/zephyr/drivers/ethernet/eth_sam_gmac_priv.h:37:1: note: in expansion of macro 'BUILD_ASSERT'

   37 | BUILD_ASSERT(ARRAY_SIZE(GMAC->GMAC_TBQBAPQ) + 1 == GMAC_QUEUE_NUM,

      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~

[58/162] Building C object zephyr/arch...rm__core__aarch32.dir/irq_manage.c.obj

FATAL ERROR: command exited with status 1: /usr/bin/cmake --build /home/sam/zeph
---------------------------------------

Further digging showed that GMAC_QUEUE_NUM is set to 3 but GMAC->GMAC_TBQBAPQ is 5 for Rev.B chip according to the declaration in the SDK. GMAC->GMAC_TBQBAPQ is 2 for Rev.A chip and so it won't trigger the BUILD_ASSERT.

num_queue is in auto-generated devicetree_unfixed.h in the build directory. I don't know enough to figure out where to look for the origin of num_queue.
Any help would be appreciated.

Sam

Re: Reading data from LSM6DS33 , I2C

Lawrence King

🙁

Reading data from LSM6DS33 , I2C

Edyta Bosacka <edyta.bosacka@...>

Hi 🙂
I want to read some data (axis_X) from accelerometer but I constantly get "0" answer.

I think my code is fine, but I dont know what could be a reason of my problem 🙁

Re: Reading data from LSM6DS33 , I2C

Adam Podogrocki

Edyta,

WHO_AM_I_REG should be the third parameter, not forth.

Cheers,
Adam

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 16:47, Lawrence King <lawrence.king@...> wrote:

Hi Edyta

Your code doesn’t show what value you used for I2C_ADDR. You will not get an ACK on the I2C bus if you have the wrong I2C addr for the LSM3DS33. Without an ACK, you get a bus error.

I think your I2C_ADDR should be 0x6B.

The WHO_AM_I register in the  LSM3DS33 is 0x0F, not 0xF0.

From: <devel@...> on behalf of "Jett Rink via lists.zephyrproject.org" <jettrink=google.com@...>
Reply to: "jettrink@..." <jettrink@...>
Date: Tuesday, 21 July 2020 at 19:17
To: Henrik Brix Andersen <henrik@...>
Cc: Kumar Gala <kumar.gala@...>, zephyr-devel <zephyr-devel@...>, Ryan Johnson via Zephyr-users <zephyr-users@...>
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] Community input on possible change to Discord from Slack

I know that Zephyr uses Google docs already, and that Gsuite is free for non-profit companies. Have we considered chat.google.com as an alternative? It may be free or part of what Zephyr is already paying for. It has conversations/threads and history, etc.

-Jett

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 3:23 AM Henrik Brix Andersen <henrik@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I have never used Discord before, but I given it a quick try the last couple of days.

My main concern is that Discord does not support threads (only quoting). This will cause all messages to go to the channel, making it more difficult to glance over the new topics.
It also makes it rather impossible to continue a discussion over several days or to follow up on a question or solution several days later, something that is often used on Slack today.

One of the bullets below lists shared accounts across servers as a pro for Discord. I am not so sure. The sign-on process was at least as difficult as with Slack.

Have we considered that once Discord settles on their business models, they too might start charging for unlimited message history?

Maybe it is just me, but there is also the question of familiarity with the service for our users.
It is my personal experience that many professionals within the embedded market know of Slack, but not many use Discord perhaps due to it being rooted in the gaming communities?

Regards,
Brix
--
Henrik Brix Andersen

> On 17 Jul 2020, at 00.27, Kumar Gala <kumar.gala@...> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> We’ve had a few discussion in the Zephyr TSC regarding the need for maintaining history in our chat communication platform and the limitation that Slack imposes on this for free usage.  The general feeling is that having access to historical discussions is important for the continued growth of the Zephyr community.
>
> We have tried to engage Slack on a cost effective solution but unfortunately that does not appear to be an option.  A few different options that have been evaluated (Discord, matrix.org, rocket chat, Microsoft Teams) and Discord seemed to be the best option and has had a fair amount of history with Adafruit (a Silver Member).
>
> Some requirements for Zephyr chat platform:
> * Maintain history
> * integration with other services (like GitHub)
> * private channels
> * ideally free - or low cost
> * no overhead for Zephyr Project (ie not having to run our own server).
>
> Pros of Discord:
> * Shared accounts across "servers" which are really just communities. Makes joining a new server very fast and easy.
> * Strong moderation tools (mute, ban, kick) per server. No need to wait for Discord to help.
> * Unlimited history for free.
> * Easy to join via invite link, chat and then establish an account.
>
> Cons of Discord:
> * Can get spammy when publicly listed.
> * Closed source so interop with Matrix and IRC is tricky but doable.
>
> We’d like to get any feedback from the community at large before finalizing a decision in the TSC.  The topic will be on the July 29th TSC meeting and will review any email feedback that anyone has on the topic.
>
> Thanks
>
> A few links:
> * Current Open Source communities utilizing Discord: https://discord.com/open-source
> * Zephyr Discord: https://discord.gg/28BgkM
>
> (NOTE: The Zephyr Discord is setup for testing purposes at this time)

Re: [Zephyr-devel] Community input on possible change to Discord from Slack

Nashif, Anas

From: <devel@...> on behalf of "Jett Rink via lists.zephyrproject.org" <jettrink=google.com@...>
Reply to: "jettrink@..." <jettrink@...>
Date: Tuesday, 21 July 2020 at 19:17