Date

Zephyr SDK 0.10.2-rc1 available

Latest version of the SDK can be found here:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/sdk-ng/releases/tag/v0.10.2-rc1

Please download and try things out and report any issues.

Changes since the last release:

• Updated to QEMU 4.0.0
• Added aarch64 qemu target for use w/Cortex-R support (for xlnx-zcu102 target)
• Updated openocd for bug fix on TI CC13x2/CC26x2 platforms.

- k

Usage of GPIO_GET_PIN_IDX and DTS

Hadrien KOHL

Hi everyone,

I am working on a custom driver for a project. The driver makes use of the GPIOs.

I am at the point where I would like to use the DTS to setup the GPIO for the driver. My idea was to use something similar to the PWM driver where I configure the channels as such:

&pwm0 {
    status = "ok";
    ch0-pin = <5>;
};

I am guessing I should use GPIO_GET_PIN_IDX to get the config from the DTS file? I couldn't find any example or documentation about this.

Has anyone some examples or documentation available? I could make a PR to update the documentation as I work my way through it.

Regards,

Hadrien

Re: LwM2M with LTE support

Nick Glencross

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for the fast and in-depth response!

I shall keep a watchful eye on progress.

Although I posted about the issue I was stuck at, I could see that
there were some other hurdles still to overcome. Depsite working well
in qemu, over LTE the LwM2M client was connecting to my server (no
DTLS), but then going crazy after about some seconds with errors in
poll and issues sending lwm2m messages.

Thanks again for your help,

Nick Glencross

On Thu, 1 Aug 2019 at 23:48, Michael Scott <mike@foundries.io> wrote:

Hello Nick,

On 8/1/19 2:04 PM, Nick Glencross wrote:
Hello,

I'm having a problem building lwm2m code with some additional flags to
enable LTE added. Any help greatly appreciated.

As background, I created my environment with:

west init -m https://github.com/NordicPlayground/fw-nrfconnect-nrf.git
west update

Here are some steps to reproduce my problem.

I change directory to zephyr/samples/net/lwm2m_client/.

mkdir build
cd build
cmake -GNinja -DBOARD=nrf9160_pca10090ns -DCONF_FILE="prj.conf
overlay-dtls.conf" ..
ninja

This builds fine, as I'd have hoped.

My build problem happens when I add the following to use the SIM card.

# LTE link control
CONFIG_LTE_LINK_CONTROL=y
CONFIG_LTE_AUTO_INIT_AND_CONNECT=n

# BSD library
CONFIG_BSD_LIBRARY=y
CONFIG_BSD_LIBRARY_TRACE_ENABLED=n

It looks like I get lots of duplicated symbols from two versions of mbedtls.

aes.c:(.text.mbedtls_aes_free+0x0): multiple definition of
`mbedtls_aes_free';
zephyr/modules/mbedtls/lib..__modules__crypto__mbedtls.a(aes.c.obj):/mnt/extra/zephyr/modules/crypto/mbedtls/library/aes.c:527:
first defined here
/mnt/extra/zephyr-sdk/arm-zephyr-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-zephyr-eabi/8.3.0/../../../../arm-zephyr-eabi/bin/ld:
/mnt/extra/zephyr/nrfxlib/bsdlib/lib/cortex-m33/hard-float/libbsd_nrf9160_xxaa.a(aes.c.o):
in function `mbedtls_aes_setkey_enc':
aes.c:(.text.mbedtls_aes_setkey_enc+0x0): multiple definition of
`mbedtls_aes_setkey_enc';
zephyr/modules/mbedtls/lib..__modules__crypto__mbedtls.a(aes.c.obj):/mnt/extra/zephyr/modules/crypto/mbedtls/library/aes.c:565:
first defined here
/mnt/extra/zephyr-sdk/arm-zephyr-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-zephyr-eabi/8.3.0/../../../../arm-zephyr-eabi/bin/ld:
/mnt/extra/zephyr/nrfxlib/bsdlib/lib/cortex-m33/hard-float/libbsd_nrf9160_xxaa.a(aes.c.o):
in function `mbedtls_aes_setkey_dec':
aes.c:(.text.mbedtls_aes_setkey_dec+0x0): multiple definition of
`mbedtls_aes_setkey_dec';
zephyr/modules/mbedtls/lib..__modules__crypto__mbedtls.a(aes.c.obj):/mnt/extra/zephyr/modules/crypto/mbedtls/library/aes.c:674:
first defined here

The introduction of the BSD library, a requirement of the AT cmds/LTE
link feature, seems to trigger the issue.

Any help or a workaround to get the build to work greatly appreciated,
This is a bit more complicated than fixing the build errors (there will
be a few more after the MBEDTLS issues).

The nRF9160 modem has special handling that is not setup in the main
Zephyr networking samples.

The good news is that Nordic has placed a high priority on getting a
full-featured LwM2M client to work with the nRF9160 (and nRF-Connect
SDK). Those changes are being finalized as we speak. If you want to
watch the changes as they happen, here is a list of pull-requests.

Mainline Zephyr has a pull-request which adds all of the objects,
bugfixes and enhancements made for Nordic while developing their LwM2M
client:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/17710 (This adds a
bunch of new core LwM2M and IPSO objects as well as bugfixes and
enhancements)

Once the above is merged into Zephyr, Nordic will then add those patches
to their fork of Zephyr in the nRF-Connect SDK

Next, there are a few pull-requests for the nRF-Connect SDK:

https://github.com/NordicPlayground/fw-nrfconnect-nrf/pull/1005 (Bugfix
for APP_VERSION shown in the modem_info)
https://github.com/NordicPlayground/fw-nrfconnect-nrf/pull/1006 (Add an
LwM2M client sample to the nRF-Connect SDK making use of the new objects)

This should all be sorted out over the next week including an upcoming
pull-request to add documentation for the sample.

I hope that helps,

- Mike

Thanks,

Nick

--
Michael Scott
Embedded Software Engineer at Foundries.io

Re: LwM2M with LTE support

Michael Scott

[...]

LwM2M with LTE support

Nick Glencross

[...]

API meeting: Agenda

This week we are focusing on finalizing the GPIO API which has been under discussion for a few weeks already.

Agenda:

- GPIO: Settle on API
* See: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/15611#issuecomment-512277583

if time permits:

- Sensor API: Update on progress if contributors present

Re: mbedtls warning "implicit declaration of function 'time'"

David Leach

Figured out the problem. This is a multi-layered issue that starts with an invalid Kconfig setting I did. I had, by default, turned on MBEDTLS in the SOC Kconfig. This had a ripple affect:

  1. turning this on causes the mbedtls module to be compiled.
  2. The /tests/lib/fdtable sets CONFIG_POSIX_API
  3. By default, the mbedtls module uses config-tls-generic.h for mbed configuration and this config has an #ifdef CONFIG_POSIX_API that defines MBEDTLS_HAVE_TIME.
  4. MBEDTLS_HAVE_TIME tells mbed that the time() function exists and to use it for mbedtls_time()
  5. the project is built with libc_minimal which doesn’t have a define for time() so the compile of routines with mbedtls_time/time function will give warnings but let the symbol resolve at link time.
  6. The linker strips out the functions using mbedtls_time() because they are not used by the application so I’m assuming that is why there is no linker error

David

From: Lawrence King <lawrence.king@irdeto.com>
Thanks to all for the work arounds. I had actually done all of these
work arounds on my Ubuntu 18.04 VM.
Those are not really workarounds, they are recommended options to get the required set of tools installed in Linux distributions that do not bundle the latest versions of packages.

What I am really getting at is the 'getting started' instructions on the
zephyr project site do not work for an 18.04 system, we need to update
the getting started so that a new user either starts with an 19.04
system, amd/or has the workarounds to get the newer DTC and CMake
versions. Otherwise even the Blinky program won't compile.
As mentioned before in this thread, the Getting Started guide does work with Ubuntu 18.04, as long as:

1. You follow the provided instructions to get a recent version of CMake (see https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/getting_started/installation_linux.html#install-requirements-and-dependencies, paragraph starting with " CMake version 3.13.1 or higher is required.").

2. You install the Zephyr SDK (which is recommended by the user guide).

Please feel free to comment on the Pull Request I sent to improve the current documentation, all feedback welcome.

It is an important documentation step that you actually try your
instructions on a 'virgin' system. All of us who have been doing
development for a long time have incrementally updated our systems and
we never follow the instructions on the getting started.

Behalf Of Boie, Andrew P via Lists.Zephyrproject.Org
First problem is west wants to build with cmake newer than 1.13.3,
but the 'default' cmake in 18.04 LTS is much older, I was able to
work around this by removing cmake, and installing with pip3.
You can also do:

$ sudo snap install cmake

This works on 18.04 LTS.
Thanks Andrew!