Date

MPU FAULT when starting BLE peripheral sample on nrf52840_pca10056

Phil Hipp

Hello,

I'm trying to run the BLE peripheral sample of the zephyr v1.12.0 branch on the NRF52840 PCA10056 DK. I built the sample under macOS 10.13.6 using the arm-zephyr-eabi toolchain built with sdk-ng on that machine.

Every time I start the board, I get following output on the console.

***** Booting Zephyr OS v1.12.0 *****

[bt] [INF] hci_vs_init: HW Platform: Nordic Semiconductor (0x0002)

[bt] [INF] hci_vs_init: HW Variant: nRF52x (0x0002)

[bt] [INF] hci_vs_init: Firmware: Standard Bluetooth controller (0x00) Version 1.12 Build 0

[bt] [WRN] bt_pub_key_gen: ECC HCI commands not available

Bluetooth initialized

[bt] [INF] bt_dev_show_info: Identity: e1:d5:6c:a1:a2:b3 (random)

[bt] [INF] bt_dev_show_info: HCI: version 5.0 (0x09) revision 0x0000, manufacturer 0x05f1

[bt] [INF] bt_dev_show_info: LMP: version 5.0 (0x09) subver 0xffff

***** MPU FAULT *****

  Executing thread ID (thread): 0x200003dc

  Faulting instruction address:  0x20000bd2

  Instruction Access Violation

Fatal fault in thread 0x200003dc! Aborting.

Advertising successfully started

It doesn't seem that Advertising has been started as promoted. I get the same or a similar issue with the other BLE samples, too.

Hope somebody may help me with this issue.

Re: native_posix on Windows?

Amir Gonnen

I did some progress but the issue is not resolved.
The issues I've seen were:
  • Windows newline format
  • In Linux gcc creates ELF image, while on windows gcc creates COFF image. Zephyr explicitly assumes ELF format in several places (in gen_offset_header.py for example).
  • On COFF inline assembly looks a little different, for example the usage of .scl, .type etc. (inline asm in gcc.h)
  • COFF format automatically adds underscore to symbols. Some symbols are defined in ldscript and referred to in the sources. Either an underscore needs to be removed from the sources or added to the ldscript.
  • __in_section_unique passes __FILE__ to the section declaration which makes the assembly code invalid (it doesn't like a name built from quoted path)
After working around all the above issues I got to the point where build completes successfully and creates an executable image (Yay!).
Unfortunately it does not run, Windows claims this is not a valid executable. Something probably still needs to be changed on the ldscript to make it a valid PE image, I'm not sure what.

Unless anyone has some inputs, I'm going to stop this effort for now.
Just for the reference I'm attaching a patch with my workarounds.

Amir

Re: [Zephyr-devel] HCI Interface UART//USB

kavin.muthusamy@wipro.com <kavin.muthusamy@...>

Hi Vinayak,

Is it possible for you to take it remotely and check the issue ?

Regards,
Kavin Kumar

[...]

#gpio ESP32: Could not able to toggle gpio pin [i.e stuck at LOW(0) all time though we set to 1 (HIGH)] #gpio

reddypraneethkumar@...

Hello Everyone,

I am new to embedded programming (ESP32 microcontroller and Zephyr OS).
By following documentation, I sucessfully executed Helo World! Program on ESP32.

I plan to start demo project as an IoT project (temperature monitoring solution) using ESP32 board but to understand basics i am trying sample projects (e.g: blinky default program).
I could not able to blink LED but it looks i can configure gpio as OUT/IN. If gpio is configured as OUT then by default value is set to HIGH(1) but writing LOW(0) doesn't have any impact on LED (LED stuck at HIGH). So i don't see blink in LED. I also tried with other pin 2.

Hardware used: NodeMCU ESP-WROOM-32
Zephyr Build: 1.12.0
GPIO PIN: 5 or 2
Host OS: Windows

Code follows:
------
board.h (defined in header file).
---------------------------------
#define LED0_GPIO_PORT CONFIG_GPIO_ESP32_0_NAME
#define LED0_GPIO_PIN 2

main.c (source file)
---------------------------------
/*
 * Copyright (c) 2016 Intel Corporation
 *
 * SPDX-License-Identifier: Apache-2.0
 */

#include <zephyr.h>
#include <board.h>
#include <device.h>
#include <gpio.h>
#include <misc/printk.h>

/* Change this if you have an LED connected to a custom port */
#ifndef LED0_GPIO_CONTROLLER
#define LED0_GPIO_CONTROLLER LED0_GPIO_PORT
#endif

#define LED_PORT LED0_GPIO_CONTROLLER

/* Change this if you have an LED connected to a custom pin */
#define LED LED0_GPIO_PIN

/* 1000 msec = 1 sec */
#define SLEEP_TIME 1000

void main(void)
{
int cnt = 0;
struct device *dev;

dev = device_get_binding(CONFIG_GPIO_ESP32_0_NAME);
if (!dev) {
return -EINVAL;
}
/* Set LED pin as output */
gpio_pin_configure(dev, LED, GPIO_DIR_OUT);

while (1) {
/* Set pin to HIGH/LOW every 1 second */
gpio_pin_write(dev, LED, cnt % 2);
cnt++;
printk("cnt: %d \n", cnt);
k_sleep(SLEEP_TIME);

To verify driver behaviour i tried 'tests\drivers\gpio\gpio_basic_api' project and the result is FAIL (refer below),

using 'make monitor' command (serial output)
-----------------------------
***** Booting Zephyr OS v1.12.0-841-g5d1b57ff9 *****
Running test suite gpio_basic_test
starting test - test_gpio_pin_read_write
device=GPIO_0, pin1=4, pin2=2
write: 1
read: 1
write: 1
read: 1
write: 0
read: 1

    Assertion failed at ../src/test_pin_rw.c:45: test_gpio_pin_read_write: (val_
write == val_read is false)
Inconsistent GPIO read/write value
FAIL - test_gpio_pin_read_write
starting test - test_gpio_callback_edge_high
check enabled callback
FAIL - test_callback@90. not trigger callback correctly

    Assertion failed at ../src/test_callback_trigger.c:117: test_gpio_callback_e
dge_high: test_callback(GPIO_INT_EDGE | GPIO_INT_ACTIVE_HIGH) == TC_PASS is fals

FAIL - test_gpio_callback_edge_high
starting test - test_gpio_callback_edge_low
check enabled callback
FAIL - test_callback@90. not trigger callback correctly

    Assertion failed at ../src/test_callback_trigger.c:124: test_gpio_callback_e
dge_low: test_callback(GPIO_INT_EDGE | GPIO_INT_ACTIVE_LOW) == TC_PASS is false

FAIL - test_gpio_callback_edge_low
starting test - test_gpio_callback_level_high
check enabled callback
FAIL - test_callback@98. not trigger callback correctly

    Assertion failed at ../src/test_callback_trigger.c:131: test_gpio_callback_l
evel_high: test_callback(GPIO_INT_LEVEL | GPIO_INT_ACTIVE_HIGH) == TC_PASS is fa
lse

FAIL - test_gpio_callback_level_high
starting test - test_gpio_callback_add_remove
FAIL - test_callback_add_remove@82. not trigger callback correctly

    Assertion failed at ../src/test_callback_manage.c:155: test_gpio_callback_ad
d_remove: test_callback_add_remove() == TC_PASS is false

FAIL - test_gpio_callback_add_remove
starting test - test_gpio_callback_enable_disable
FAIL - test_callback_enable_disable@123. not trigger callback correctly

    Assertion failed at ../src/test_callback_manage.c:161: test_gpio_callback_en
able_disable: test_callback_enable_disable() == TC_PASS is false

FAIL - test_gpio_callback_enable_disable
starting test - test_gpio_callback_level_low
check enabled callback
FAIL - test_callback@98. not trigger callback correctly

    Assertion failed at ../src/test_callback_trigger.c:138: test_gpio_callback_l
evel_low: test_callback(GPIO_INT_LEVEL | GPIO_INT_ACTIVE_LOW) == TC_PASS is fals

FAIL - test_gpio_callback_level_low
PROJECT EXECUTION FAILED

Could you please help me in understanding basics of gpio?

Thanks,
Praneeth

Re: native_posix on Windows?

Amir Gonnen

Giving it a shot!
Tried to configure native_posix with msys2 (32bit):

cmake -GNinja -DBOARD=native_posix -DZEPHYR_TOOLCHAIN_VARIANT=cross-compile -DCROSS_COMPILE=C:\msys32\usr\bin CMAKE_C_COMPILER=C:\msys32\usr\bin\gcc.exe  CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=C:\msys32\usr\bin\gcc.exe ..\

check_host_is_ok fails:
-- Found PythonInterp: C:/Python37/python.exe (found suitable version "3.7", minimum required is "3.4")
c:/Projects/zephyr//scripts/check_host_is_ok.py:5: DeprecationWarning: 'U' mode is deprecated
  f = open('{}/Kconfig'.format(os.environ["ZEPHYR_BASE"]), 'U')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:/Projects/zephyr//scripts/check_host_is_ok.py", line 16, in
    main()
  File "c:/Projects/zephyr//scripts/check_host_is_ok.py", line 13, in main
    crash_if_zephyr_was_cloned_with_wrong_line_endings()
  File "c:/Projects/zephyr//scripts/check_host_is_ok.py", line 10, in crash_if_zephyr_was_cloned_with_wrong_line_endings
    assert f.newlines == '\n', error_msg
AssertionError: Re-clone with autocrlf false. $ git config --global core.autocrlf false
CMake Error at C:/Projects/zephyr/cmake/app/boilerplate.cmake:121 (message):
  command failed with return code: 1
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:2 (include)

This happens even when re-cloning with core.autocrlf set to false

So I tried overriding it by commenting the assert on check_host_is_ok.
After doing that CMake passes, but ninja fails:

[6/67] Building C object zephyr/CMakeFiles/offsets.dir/arch/posix/core/offsets/offsets.c.obj
FAILED: zephyr/CMakeFiles/offsets.dir/arch/posix/core/offsets/offsets.c.obj
C:\msys32\usr\bin\gcc.exe -DBUILD_VERSION=v1.12.0-1099-g1b6e5f614 -DKERNEL -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200809 -D__ZEPHYR__=1 -I../../../kernel/include -I../../../arch/posix/include -I../../../arch/posix/soc/inf_clock -I../../../arch/posix/soc/inf_clock/include -I../../../arch/posix/soc/include -I../../../boards/posix/native_posix -I../../../include -I../../../include/drivers -Izephyr/include/generated -m32   -Os -g -Wall -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wno-format-zero-length -imacros C:/Projects/zephyr/samp
r/arch/posix/core/offsets/offsets.c.obj -MF zephyr\CMakeFiles\offsets.dir\arch\posix\core\offsets\offsets.c.obj.d -o zephyr/CMakeFiles/offsets.dir/arch/posix/core/offsets/offsets.c.obj   -c C:/Projects/zephyr/arch/posix/core/offsets/offsets.c
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s: Assembler messages:
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:23: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:23: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `_'
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:29: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:29: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `_'
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:35: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:35: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `_'
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:41: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:41: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `_'
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:47: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:47: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `_'
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:53: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:53: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `_'
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:59: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:59: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `_'
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:65: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:65: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `_'
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:71: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:71: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `_'
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:77: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:77: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `_'
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:83: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:83: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `_'
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:89: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:89: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `_'
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:95: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:95: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `_'
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:101: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:101: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `_'
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:107: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:107: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `_'
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:113: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:113: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `_'
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:119: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:119: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `_'
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:125: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:125: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `_'
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:131: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:131: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `_'
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:137: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:137: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `_'
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:143: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:143: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `K'
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:149: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:149: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `_'
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:155: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:155: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `_'
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:161: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef: ignored.
/c/Users/agonnen/AppData/Local/Temp/ccCteZX2.s:161: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `_'

Any idea?

Re: native_posix on Windows?

Leandro Pereira

On 07/30/2018 10:16 AM, Andy Ross wrote:
In principle it certainly could work with cygwin or msys, have you tried?  All it wants is a POSIX C runtime and a command line toolchain (which I'm pretty sure it gets with just "gcc" off of PATH, right?).  If not, that would be a bug reasonably work fixing.
I haven't tried building the posix_native with it yet, but I've heard good things about Midipix: https://midipix.org/

Leandro

Re: native_posix on Windows?

Andy Ross

In principle it certainly could work with cygwin or msys, have you tried?  All it wants is a POSIX C runtime and a command line toolchain (which I'm pretty sure it gets with just "gcc" off of PATH, right?).  If not, that would be a bug reasonably work fixing.

Andy

On 7/29/2018 8:54 AM, Amir Gonnen wrote:
Hi.
I noticed that WSL is not supported on native_posix board, due to its lack of 32-bit support.
Is there any way of running native_posix on windows, using some other toolchain that provides posix compatible runtime environment? (such as cygwin, mingw, or even Visual Studio?)
If not, is running native code on Window on the roadmap?

Thanks,
Amir

Re: [Zephyr-devel] HCI Interface UART//USB

kavin.muthusamy@wipro.com <kavin.muthusamy@...>

Hi ,

I am using 11500bps only in ebq , but as per the comments from nordic team HCI is not there in these boards . We have to do manually using Zephyr project.

Please attached image of EBQ tester.

Regards,
Kavin Kumar
[...]

Re: HCI Interface UART//USB

kavin.muthusamy@wipro.com <kavin.muthusamy@...>

Kindly waiting for your update. Please Prioritize this issue.

Regards,
Kavin Kumar
We have bought nRF52840 and nRF52 DK boards for BLE v5.0 testing with ellisys tester . Comport it is taking as ACM0 but HCI reset is failing in the IUT . As per the comment from nordic team HCI interface is not there in these boards. So how to install hex file from zephyrproject (samples/bluetooth/hci_uart sample for HCI over UART). I am unable to download this .Please help on this to proceed further .

Regards,
Kavin Kumar
Mobile: 9994889187

Re: native_posix on Windows?

Carles Cufi

Hi Amir,

As you well point out, the native_posix board and the posix arch don’t work on WSL on Windows. I don’t think anyone has actually tried to use MSYS2 to build for native posix, I guess it should theoretically be possible since our MSYS2 build is still supported (albeit being deprecated by the native Windows one).

What I think needs to be done in order to run on Windows natively is to add a “win” architecture and then a native_win board for it, which doesn’t rely on POSIX or Linux system calls at all. To my knowledge this is not yet on the roadmap, but patches would certainly be welcome.

I’ve copied Alberto who is the original author of the native_posix board and the posix arch.

Carles