L2CAP errors on linux while running 6loble

Vakul Garg <vakul.garg@...>

Hi

I am transferring UDP packets over 6loble link between a zephyr endpoint and linux box.

On my linux box, I see errors:

[root@lti ~]# dmesg

[416975.584892] Bluetooth: Too much LE L2CAP data received

[416976.365482] Bluetooth: Too much LE L2CAP data received

[416977.171158] Bluetooth: Frame is too long (len 186, expected len 68)

[416977.566971] Bluetooth: Too much LE L2CAP data received

Can someone please provide some hint what could I be doing wrong?

I am using linux kernel version 4.13.12.

Regards

Vakul

Vakul Garg <vakul.garg@...>

I want to add that sometimes, on zephyr console, I get:

[bt] [ERR] l2cap_chan_le_recv_sdu: SDU length mismatch

Is my application sending too big messages?

Apart from UDP, I also have a TCP connection using 6loble link.

This sender failed our fraud detection checks and may not be who they appear to be. Learn about spoofing

Feedback

Hi

I am transferring UDP packets over 6loble link between a zephyr endpoint and linux box.

On my linux box, I see errors:

[root@lti ~]# dmesg

[416975.584892] Bluetooth: Too much LE L2CAP data received

[416976.365482] Bluetooth: Too much LE L2CAP data received

[416977.171158] Bluetooth: Frame is too long (len 186, expected len 68)

[416977.566971] Bluetooth: Too much LE L2CAP data received

Can someone please provide some hint what could I be doing wrong?

I am using linux kernel version 4.13.12.

Regards

Vakul

Luiz Augusto von Dentz

Hi Vakul,

On the zephyr side Ive seem that happening when the controller doesn't support host flow control, but there should be a warning when we don't have buffers to receive a packet, anyway you may want to try increasing the numbers of buffers.

On the Linux side I have not seem such a problem with zephyr, perhaps something is not right in the tx with zephyr or we are again having memory corruptions with buffers. Does TCP works properly?

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 12:51 PM, Vakul Garg <vakul.garg@...> wrote:

[...]

Carles Cufi

Hi Vakul,

Could you share a bit more info about the Zephyr endpoint? Which board/chip are you using, what Zephyr version and whether this is a single-chip or dual-chip solution?

Also on the Linux side, what controller are you using? Is it Zephyr-based? If so, which Zephyr version and hardware?

I am transferring UDP packets over 6loble link between a zephyr endpoint and linux box.

On my linux box, I see errors:

[root@lti ~]# dmesg

[416975.584892] Bluetooth: Too much LE L2CAP data received

[416976.365482] Bluetooth: Too much LE L2CAP data received

[416977.171158] Bluetooth: Frame is too long (len 186, expected len 68)

[416977.566971] Bluetooth: Too much LE L2CAP data received

Can someone please provide some hint what could I be doing wrong?

I am using linux kernel version 4.13.12.

Regards

Vakul

Vakul Garg <vakul.garg@...>

Hi Carles

Thanks for paying attention to this.

I am running latest zephyr from master branch on nxp board frdm_k64f.

The k64f board is connected to another nxp board frdm_kw41z.

Kw41z board runs nxp ble controller firmware (based on freertos).

On linux side as well, it is another frdm_kw41z board (connected through usb) acting as ble controller.

[...]

The reason I ask is that I’ve seen similar issues with our boards (nRF5x) when we had issues in the HCI flow control.

Is there a chance you can test replacing the Linux controller with a “standard” one (the PTS dongle or any Bluetooth 4.0+ dongle you have) to see which side is introducing the issue?

[...]

Ok, I will buy a standard dongle for linux controller.

Can you suggest which one to buy?

Is this one ok?

https://www.amazon.in/GENERIC-Ultra-Mini-Bluetooth-Dongle-Adapter/dp/B0117H7GZ6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511359408&sr=8-2&keywords=bluetooth+dongle+for+desktop

[...]

BTW, it seems my BLE controller does not support flow control.

During BLE init, following logs are printed.

[bt] [WRN] set_flow_control: Controller to host flow control not supported

[bt] [WRN] hci_vs_init: Vendor HCI extensions not available

[...]

Any 4.0 dongle should work fine, but maybe  Johan or Luiz can let us know of their favorite ones, since they test more often with dongles than myself.

I personally use the Intel controller that is built into my laptop.

[...]

I assume you see this on the Zephyr side. Since you are using a dual-chip solution there it could be that the Host is dropping packets, but that would be in the other direction (Linux to Zephyr), and here there seems to be an issue with the Zephyr to Linux side. You don’t see any errors printed on the Zephyr side at the same time you see the ones in Linux?

Which direction is the bulk of the data transfer taking place?

[...]

I get error logs on both linux and zephyr consoles.

Not sure if they come up together.

The data transfer is almost equal in both the directions.

[...]

I tried again with a standard dongle for linux controller. (I used CSR 4.0 dongle as mentioned in the link below.)

The behavior is the same.

The linux kernel sometimes reports error:
“Bluetooth: Too much LE L2CAP data received

On zephyr side also, I can that l2cap does not like the size of SDU.

Function l2cap_chan_le_send_sdu() finds that the total_len is more than channel’s tx mtu.

So I believe that the SDUs sometime get generated beyond allowable size by zephyr side.

Regards

Vakul

PS: I am using sample/net/https_server with a bigger index_html (2000 bytes).

File size around 1100 byte work ok.

[...]

Right, so now we know that this is an issue with the Zephyr side, either on the Host or Controller side.

Maybe Luiz can shed some light into this. Perhaps if you send exact instructions on how to reproduce the issue by providing the code and the configuration files?

[...]

It seems that there are issues in multiple places.

First one, I encounter is the following log:

[bt] [ERR] bt_l2cap_chan_send: failed to send message -36

Digging deeper, I find that the function net_pkt_get() does not take into account Ipv4/v6 header lengths while calculating pkt->data_len.

Also, in function net_pkt_append(), I do not understand, why max_len is overwritten with TCP send_mss.

The same questions I just now asked over zephyr-devel.

I am sorry for the duplication.

[...]

Adding steps to reproduce the problem.

I am running samples/net/http_server and trying to download a file from it of size 4000 bytes.

Instead of Ethernet, I use 6loble link between zephyr and linux.

The changes that have been made to sample application are given below.

To download index.html from zephyr host, execute from linux (after connecting ble link, attaching IP address etc).

wget -6 http://[2001:db8::1]/index.html

[b16394@lti http_server]$ git diff src/main.c

diff --git a/samples/net/http_server/src/main.c b/samples/net/http_server/src/main.c

index 32d3fa13f..43e9e8e87 100644

--- a/samples/net/http_server/src/main.c

+++ b/samples/net/http_server/src/main.c

@@ -16,6 +16,7 @@

 #include <zephyr.h>

#include <stdio.h>

+#include <stdlib.h>

 #include <net/net_context.h>

@@ -215,10 +216,11 @@ int http_serve_headers(struct http_ctx *ctx)

 static int http_serve_index_html(struct http_ctx *ctx)

{

-       static const char index_html[] = {

-#include "index.html.inc"

+       static const char index_html[4000] = {

+//#include "index.html.inc"

        };

+

        NET_DBG("Sending index.html (%zd bytes) to client",

                sizeof(index_html));

diff --git a/samples/net/http_server/prj.conf b/samples/net/http_server/prj.conf

index 14b6ec8b5..8cb00ad40 100644

--- a/samples/net/http_server/prj.conf

+++ b/samples/net/http_server/prj.conf

@@ -46,3 +46,29 @@ CONFIG_NET_STATISTICS=y