Happy Gecko Support

Cosmin Mihai

Hi,

I'm new to Zephyr. Is it possible to use it for EFM32 Happy Gecko? (https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/32-bit/efm32-happy-gecko)

I see that it only supports Wonder Gecko.

Thank you!

Kumar Gala

On Feb 8, 2018, at 6:51 AM, Ionut Cosmin Mihai <ionut.cosmin.mihai@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to Zephyr. Is it possible to use it for EFM32 Happy Gecko? (https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/32-bit/efm32-happy-gecko)

I see that it only supports Wonder Gecko.
One would need to port the Happy Gecko SoC and a board to Zephyr. Since Wonder Gecko has been ported, I’d expect that it wouldn’t be too difficult to do this.

- k

Marcio Montenegro

Hi ,
    Unfortunately Happy Gecko has only 8 Kb of RAM memory.

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 2:26 PM, Kumar Gala <kumar.gala@...> wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2018, at 6:51 AM, Ionut Cosmin Mihai <ionut.cosmin.mihai@...> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Zephyr. Is it possible to use it for EFM32 Happy Gecko? (https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/32-bit/efm32-happy-gecko)
>
> I see that it only supports Wonder Gecko.

One would need to port the Happy Gecko SoC and a board to Zephyr.  Since Wonder Gecko has been ported, I’d expect that it wouldn’t be too difficult to do this.

Felipe Neves

Hi Marcio, I did not see this 8KB of RAM as a problem, look from the zephyr documentation:

"The configurable nature of the kernel allows you to incorporate only those features needed by your application, making it ideal for systems with limited amounts of memory (as little as 2 KB!) or with simple multi-threading requirements (such as a set of interrupt handlers and a single background task). Examples of such systems include: embedded sensor hubs, environmental sensors, simple LED wearable, and store inventory tags.

Applications requiring more memory (50 to 900 KB), multiple communication devices (like WiFi and Bluetooth Low Energy), and complex multi-threading, can also be developed using the Zephyr kernel. Examples of such systems include: fitness wearables, smart watches, and IoT wireless gateways."

The 64KB of flash seems to be very reasonable to me for a M0+ microcontroller, the Happy Gecko has similar specs of a nordic NRF51 cortex M0+ and its port has support to BT stack :)

I'm wondering if a port to Bosch XDK (built around gecko mcus) could be a funny thing since their SDK's BT stack is closed source and only supports peripheral role :(

Felipe

Hi ,
    Unfortunately Happy Gecko has only 8 Kb of RAM memory.

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 2:26 PM, Kumar Gala <kumar.gala@...> wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2018, at 6:51 AM, Ionut Cosmin Mihai <ionut.cosmin.mihai@...> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Zephyr. Is it possible to use it for EFM32 Happy Gecko? (https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/32-bit/efm32-happy-gecko)
>
> I see that it only supports Wonder Gecko.

One would need to port the Happy Gecko SoC and a board to Zephyr.  Since Wonder Gecko has been ported, I’d expect that it wouldn’t be too difficult to do this.

Felipe S. Neves
Embedded software & systems engineer
Skype: fneves1989
+55 11 96610 – 0855

Kumar Gala

We support boards/SoC with 8KB of RAM like nucleo_f030r8

- k

ryukokki.felipe@gmail.com