[Zephyr-devel] Bluetooth BLE device not get discount

Luiz Augusto von Dentz

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 9:08 PM, Vikrant More <vikrant8051@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

Currently I am working on Zephyr Bluetooth APIs to build normal
Services-Characteristics based BLE device.

I've observed following things:
1) sometimes when app (for eg. nRF Connect) closes even after that device
doesn't get disconnected

2) sometimes even smartphone Bluetooth switched off then also device doesn't
go from connect state to disconnect state.

Success ratio is approx. 60-70%

Since device doesn't go in disconnected mode, it stop advertising & I have
to restart it for reconnection.

Is it because of App or smartphone OS not actually disconnecting at
background level ?
ATT/GATT is tied with the ACL connection which is maintained by the
controller, so there is very little the host stack can do about it but
perhaps if you are running with combined controller + host then we
need to check why the controller side cannot detect the ACL has been
disconnected.

Thank You !!

Luiz Augusto von Dentz

Chettimada, Vinayak Kariappa

Hi Vikrant,

If you are using android devices, their connection management will not disconnect an ACL link within a 30 second (my experience, not verified their implementation) window of the connection being created.
The BLE connections are maintained logically/abstracted at API level on the phones. That said, you can confirm that disconnections happen immediately when entering airplane mode or turning Bluetooth off from phone settings.

-Vinayak