From: zephyr-users-bounces@lists.zephyrproject.org [mailto:zephyr-users-
bounces@lists.zephyrproject.org] On Behalf Of Alan Martinovic
Sent: 20 December 2017 12:46
To: zephyr-users@lists.zephyrproject.org
Subject: [Zephyr-users] UART flash

Hi,
we're using Zephyr for providing the HCI for a NRF52 chip.
The example from samples/bluetooth/hci_uart is working very well.

However the flashing is done using jtag (the integrated Segger chip on
the PAC10040 dev board).

Is there an option in Zephyr to have a bootloader that would support
flashing firmware through UART?
Yes, MCUboot supports serial recovery to upload flash images, and it's the main open source bootloader for Zephyr.

https://github.com/runtimeco/mcuboot

Also in the future we'd like to map firmware update to HCI so that it's all integrated.

Alan

Cool, thanks.

Also in the future we'd like to map firmware update to HCI so that it's all integrated.
The purpose of this is to be able to do updates on the same physical
UART on which
the Bluetooth Host-Controller communication is taking place?
The HCI specs actually have this defines?

At the moment it would have to be one UART for the Bluetooth one for
the updates?

Be Well,
Alan

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Cufi, Carles <Carles.Cufi@nordicsemi.no> wrote:
Hi there Alan,

Also in the future we'd like to map firmware update to HCI so that
it's all integrated.

The purpose of this is to be able to do updates on the same physical
UART on which the Bluetooth Host-Controller communication is taking
place?
Yes, and also not to have to enter the bootloader's recovery mode. Right now you'll need to force the bootloader to enter its recovery mode to upload a new image, which will be received by the bootloader code itself. The idea in the future is that you can interleave HCI packets that contains fragments of an image with normal HCI operation, so that once the whole image is uploaded the controller only needs to reboot and the bootloader will swap the images.

The HCI specs actually have this defines?
No, those will be vendor-specific commands. You can find the currently existing ones here: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/blob/master/doc/subsystems/bluetooth/hci.txt

Hi Alan,

Forgot to reply to this:

At the moment it would have to be one UART for the Bluetooth one for the
updates?
No, it's the same UART, but you'll need to reboot into MCUboot's serial recovery mode, update the image and then reboot back into the new image.